Remembering Real Quiet

This past weekend I hitched up one of the horses for a nice drive to soak up some of the terrific fall weather. We made our way to a neighborhood I've watched develop during the past few years. I took a shot of the street sign of the development's main road and thought some of you might appreciate this:

What a loss it was when Real Quiet passed at age 15 this past week!

As we continued down the road I reflected on Real Quiet's racing prowess and wondered what his legacy would be in future pedigrees. We soon came to a typical little Lexington horse farm:

I admired the farm for a moment and moved on, resuming my silent tribute to the son of Quiet American-Really Blue, by Believe It. But then, another hundred yards or so, my full attention was captured:

I'd forgotten this was here--a large field with a small herd of mixed cattle breeds, bison, llamas, alpacas, and so forth.

And I thought that was appropriate. Something unexpected, out of the blue, noteworthy--Real Quiet, too, was all of these.

As a pedigree lover, as a racing fan, and as a breeder, I'm sad for the loss of a fine horse. I hope his promising young son Midnight Lute is as successful a sire as he was as a runner, thereby continuing Real Quiet's legacy. I'm excited to see his first foals at the Keeneland November sale--30 of his first-crop weanlings are cataloged.

RealQuiet

Thank you for the tribute. Oddly, Real Quiet was one of my father's favorites. He told me that when a horse was called "quiet" it meant that he/she had a nice "personality," demeanor, easy to work with. I never knew Real Quiet, but in a way, through my father's statement, I did. He was a beautiful animal and fantastic athlete.

04 Oct 2010 12:46 AM
Elaine Connors

Real Quiet was and will remain my favorite horse.  I loved watching him race and loved following his sire career.  His Midnight Lute is a beauty!   I wish he'd received more attention and respect for his achievements, but maybe that will come now.

04 Oct 2010 1:28 AM
Nicky

The modest little horse that captured our hearts for a time will be missed. Remember watching the triple crown that year and thinking I would win my penny bets with my uncle. What a thrill!! What a loss!! But what a horse. Truly sad that he is gone so young.

04 Oct 2010 2:03 AM
Liz

If I remember Bob Baffert called him "the fish" because he was so slab sided.  What a wonderful horse.  Also in my top five favorites of all time.  My sympathies to his owners and those that were fortunate enough to have worked with him.

04 Oct 2010 7:24 AM
Love 'em all!

What a lovely tribute to Real Quiet. Wish to extend my sorrow to those closest to him.

To so many, he really was special in his own quiet way.

04 Oct 2010 10:12 AM
Bloo

Real Quiet's Deby was the race that got me into horse racing in the first place.  I owe a lot to him and Victory Gallop.  He will be missed.

04 Oct 2010 10:30 AM
Squarky

I followed Real Quiet when I was 10/11. I was so excited when I heard he was standing in Harrisburg, as it meant I'd be able to see him. Alas, it wasn't to be.

04 Oct 2010 11:02 AM
FernieFernFern

Gone too soon.

04 Oct 2010 11:43 AM
christina

he was my favorite horse and the one thast got me into racing. he later moved 20 minutes way from me! i had emailed the farm's owner 2 years ago asking if i could vivist, and got no responce but the email adresss had changed since then. i'd been plannng to ask again, and just let it go. then  hgeard that he'd died! i was so upset. 20 minutes away from me and i never got the chance to see him :-(. i would hope they would let me go to his grave

04 Oct 2010 11:56 AM
Zen's Auntie

A tragic loss - Real Quiet was my favorite that year and is among the best 3 year olds of all time I think. Midnight Lute is one of my favorite young sires he is SPECTACULAR in both ability and Physical attributes.

Is there more of an explanation available for what happened to Real Quiet? I know paddock accidents are devastating and all to common.

04 Oct 2010 12:10 PM
Cookie

Real Quiet will always be my favorite horse of all time!  Just something about him captured my heart from the beginning and will stay with me forever.

04 Oct 2010 12:39 PM
Barthart

Real Quiet was truly something very special. He came sooooo painfully close to winning that elusive Triple Crown, which would certainly have cemented him into the realms of the immortals. I'm terribly saddened by his much too young death. What thrills he brought us!!!

04 Oct 2010 2:47 PM
joe c.

I also felt that even with his nose Belmont/Triple Crown loss, he was underrated.  His four year old campaign, with victories in the Pimlico Special and Hollywood Gold Cup, compares very well to the latter careers of recent classic winners.  I'm glad I was at Belmont that day, and in the paddock at the fence for his unforgettable entrance.

04 Oct 2010 4:46 PM
The Deacon

You will never convince me that Real Quiet did not win the Belmont Stakes that day. The fabricated camera angle says he lost by a nose to Victory Gallop, who now stands in Turkey of all places, but my eye tell sme that RQ won by a nose. I have seen many different photos of this race and RQ wins every time.

05 Oct 2010 2:49 AM
Donna

Real Quiet was a true champion, I hope he is enjoying the green pastures and happy trails in heaven.  Condolences to all that were associated with such a fine athlete and legend.

05 Oct 2010 12:04 PM
Cris

His going is so sad, we will all miss him. I drove to his farm to see him once and he was away at the vets. What a loss.

05 Oct 2010 1:49 PM
kirkaroo

real quiet you will be missed. thanks for the memories....

05 Oct 2010 2:33 PM
quarterhossgal

I can only hope Real Quiet enjoyed his time at stud duty even though he was moved from farm to farm.  He didn't have the top mares brought to him yet he sired Midnight Lute.  I hope some other sons and daughters of Real Quiet help cement his place in the record books. He was a champion in every sense of the word and he will be greatly missed.

05 Oct 2010 3:09 PM
Lowerperkmike

I am from the Harrisburg Pa area and was saddened to hear about Real Quiet's passing. I had an opportunity to write and speak about the "rise" in Pa breeding for a speech class last spring and found out by chance that Real Quiet was standing at a local farm just outside of Harrisburg. It was real quiet!! I tried to contact the farm to visit him and find out some more info about the breeding industry in Pa. Unfortunately, I was unable to reach anyone at Penn Ridge Farm. Real Quiet was brought to Pa to stand stud after slots were OK'd in Pa. Hears hoping that the state takes advantage of the opportunity to rejuvenate the business at each of the tracks in the state. If the breeding in the state grows it will provide many new jobs and help preserve green space. I hope that this will happen.

08 Oct 2010 3:07 PM