Free Food, Free Knowledge

Open house in elementary school always meant one important thing to me: I received a chance to show off my work from art class, and work from all those other classes we had to take, to my parents. There was just something special in showing your parents your accomplishments, and then have them respond with positive comments. Though Lane's End Farm is not exactly a school, I learned a lot during a few visits to their open house.

I wanted to go see the horses of Lane's End and who can pass up free food? So my friends Marta, Leia, and I hit the barns post complementary lunch provided by Lane's End.  The stallions were great, and this was my first open house. The experience was thrilling; to look at stallions up close, showing off their stuff. I had two great co-workers who were teaching me the ropes. Letting me know what to look for, how to act, and all the breeding prospect things to do. Lingo, body language, reaction, and a good list of what not to say, came from Leia.

I definitely wanted to see my buddy Aragorn because we had a billion ads in the work I do with his great face on it. He was very nice in person and a strong looker. He always had this confident looking groom by his side in the Lane's End PDF ads, and I met him as well. He was very nice. We also checked out Rock Hard Ten, and Mingun while another couple had Kingmambo out walking around. All the horses out were just great looking.

I was very impressed with how much stallions fill out and develop after they are done with their racing careers.  From lean and mean to big and bad. I visited the many favorites laying low in their stalls as well like Lemon Drop Kid, Mineshaft, and A. P. Indy. Seeing some of the modern legends is always fun. I just didn't realize how much horses can have personality variations. Some were lazy, some curious, while others sweet and some, were just in their own world.

The open house left me with a lot of new knowledge and the desire to visit as many farms and open houses as possible.  Not just for free food, which was nothing short of exquisite, but to learn about the industry breeding programs. My appreciation has grown, and I encourage people to visit these farms and ask questions in groups. I understand the main purpose of the open houses are for breeders/owners who are seriously considering stallion prospects to observe them first hand, but education is key. Especially if it sways you into being a new client.

Rock Hard Ten
 Rock Hard Ten courtesy of Marta.  All Rights Reserved.

Jequine

WOW!  Is that just a really big horse, or is that person really small?

Rock Hard Ten must be really well behaved to stand like that and let people pose with him.

18 Mar 2008 11:28 AM
aspradling

Rock Hard Ten was very well behaved, very professional and his handler did not have to do much, except walk him out.  I was impressed.

18 Mar 2008 1:19 PM
Laura

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Lane's End & learned some things along the way--such a beautiful farm!  Did you get to see After Market?  If so, what did you think?  I'm looking forward to seeing him (and Aragorn) later this year!

18 Mar 2008 6:50 PM
aspradling

Laura, I didn't see After Market out and about, but I think I remember seeing him in the same barn as Aragorn. Actually, we talked to his groom about that tongue of his.  After Market and Aragorn like playing with their tongues, many After Market race pictures have his tongue hanging out, but it must not phase him, since he  has several graded stakes under his belt.

18 Mar 2008 8:38 PM
Erv

Seen rock hard ten last year, nice to see he is still big and beautiful. Lanes ends is super great with visitors. Hope to go down again this fall.

19 Mar 2008 11:39 AM
Margaret

I had the pleasure of visiting Lane's End during the January stallion open house and Rock Hard Ten is that big and beautiful.  After Market was very interested in all the goings on and came to his stall door to talk.

I'm not a breeder and told the stallion manager that and said that they didn't need to bring any horses out for me - is that appropriate?  What shouldn't one ask at the open houses?

Luckily there was a breeder and a photographer there and they brought out several of the stallions, including Smart Strike.  Everyone was extremely nice at all the farms and a couple brought out their new stallions even though I said they didn't have to.  But I was the only one there at the time.

I appreciate your inside look at horse racing.

24 Mar 2008 12:42 PM
Mel

I hope to visit Lane's End in the near future. I had the pleasure of visiting Claibourne on my last visit and was awed by Pulpit. I ran a hand down his neck and shoulder - he's a solid, muscled masterpiece - and has the "look." People who work with these fellas

are justifiably proud and generously share their insights. Always visit a farm when the opportunity is offered. Lots to learn and see, history in the making.

18 Apr 2008 1:08 AM
aspradling

I am a big fan of Pulpit. He has a few offspring that I enjoy keeping track of. Do you have any offspring that you tend to specifically follow of his?

18 Apr 2008 8:20 AM