BC Pre-Entries too long to read? Then read here...

Pre-entries and my super quick take on the Breeders' Cup for those with a low attention span.

Race: Filly and Mare Sprint:
My Picks: Indian Blessing, Jazzy, Miraculous Miss, Dearest Trickski, and Intangaroo.
My Thoughts: Intangaroo is actually being offered at the Fasig-Tipton November sale as hip 159. So a nice finish would add some good things to Intangaroo's sale stats. Indian Blessing, Dearest Trickski, and Miraculous Miss are definitely my picks and probably the fan favorites.

Juvenile Fillies Turf:
Dream Empress, Evita Argentina, and Laragh are probably three names I am interested in. But this race is the second preference for most of my interests, and the horses will probably run in the Juvenile Fillies instead.

Juvenile Fillies:
Be Smart, Doremifasolatido, Dream Empress, Sky Diva, and Evita Argentina are who I like here. Dream Empress is my pick for sure. I was trackside to see her run in the Darley Alcibiades Stakes at Keeneland Oct. 3. I was impressed, and she looked VERY good in the paddock. I will cheer her on through and through. Dream Empress is 3-2-0-0-1, meaning she finished in the superfecta all three starts and has a solid distance of 1 1/16 miles under her belt. Be Smart raced in the Alcibiades too and was looking really good. I won a VERY nice exacta with Be Smart and of course, she is a up and coming member of Smarty Jone's first crop. I expect big things out of her in the future, and she ran with Dream Empress. These two can get it done. As for Doremifasolatido...I will miss Durkin calling this race.

Filly and Mare Turf:
Wait a While, Precious Kitten, and Pure Clan will be my favored horses in this race. Most likely Precious Kitten will pick up her first-preference in the Mile, but to be honest, the Mile is a tough field that she probably can't win in. So she should stick to this race. Wait a While just gives me this feeling, with Pletcher on hand, that she could prove to make some moves.

Ladies' Classic:
Ginger Punch, Music Note, and Zenyatta. I really don't need to say much here. A small field for a big reason: TALENT. The boys are out-classed and out-sassed this year.

Marathon:
Booyah, Casino Drive, Delightful Kiss, Jonesboro, and Spring House are the horses I will be watching for this race. Booyah is simply because it is a name I can't dismiss. I doubt Casino Drive will choose to race here, since his first preference is the Classic and with Big Brown out, the chances are now that much better. I am not sure what Jonesboro will really choose to do, but Spring House and Delightful Kiss are horses I have liked in the past and will choose to stick with.

Turf Sprint:
Get Funky, Idiot Proof, Salute the Count, and Slew's Tizzy are horses I am going to look into. Idiot Proof has had five starts this year, none finishing first, but has had a few strong second place finishes and one of those was in Dubai. Idiot Proof's last race was a 5th place finish, so I am a little concerned if he can get the job done. Get Funky is a name I can groove with. This year, he has four starts and finished in the money each time with his middle two races being victories. Salute the Count has been around and has experience by the bit, and is a very consistent horse. Slew's Tizzy has caught his second wind, so I think he might surprise some.

Juvenile:
Mine That Bird, Silent Valor, and Forty Thieves. Birdstone anyone? I will take a chance with Mine That Bird to kick some butt, and why not? This race has less to offer than the Juvenile Fillies, and he has a great chance. Forty Thieves is an awesome name and two for two, with one of his first places wins being a stakes race. With two stakes races under the belt, one being win, the most recent a fifth place finish, hopefully Silent Valor has learned a few things. This would be a risky venture, but I think the fifth place finish was a one time deal, not a downward trend. We will see though.

Mile:
Awesome Gem, Kip Deville, Raven's Pass, Shakis, Thorn Song...heck I'll take any of them. I LOVE this race. Kip Deville needs to do it. He needs to take home the win. I would like to see Shakis do well, other than his normal win of the Bernard Baruch and Thorn Song, because watching Thorn Song race is very enjoyable. I am a more recent fan of Raven's Pass and want Raven's Pass to pull a superfecta for me. I think that Raven's Pass has a good chance of racing in either the Mile or the Classic, but better odds in the Mile. Awesome Gem is just classic, so I need to include Awesome Gem, but I have not been impressed this year. Awesome Gem should find it tough in either the Classic or the Mile.

Dirt Mile:
Jonesboro, Lewis Michael, My Pal Charlie, Pyro, and Well Armed...and possibly Two Step Salsa. Why Two Step Salsa? Because a hunch bet of Two Step Salsa - Pyro (if the salsa is hot). Really, Pyro should race in the Classic with Big Brown out, let's seem him do what Einstein did against Curlin. I am bummed Einstein is not racing in the BC, but he has had a great year. Lewis Michael might be the formidable foe.

Juvenile Turf:
Mine That Bird. I really don't know much about this race and have not looked into it enough yet. So I have no real opinion. I think Mine That Bird should try for the Juvenile.

Sprint:
Midnight Lute, Street Boss and In Summation. I think Indian Blessing and Lewis Michael will go in the F&M Sprint and Dirt Mile. I love Midnight Lute, and this is a horse who will get it done. Street Boss is lacking some, and In Summation is a classic horse to cheer on. Maybe it's Lute's cute ears, they are big, but that is my pick.

Turf:
Red Giant, Better Talk Now, and Grand Couturier. This race will be awesome. Red Giant has impressed me. I am a very big Giant's Causeway fan and with a record of 12-6-3-1, I think this could be a big finish to a good year. Better Talk Now and Grand Couturier need no introduction.

Classic:
Casino Drive, Curlin, Colonel John, Duke of Marmalde, Pyro, Tiago, and Henrythenavigator. After debating and not being able to sleep at night, this is my most anticipated race. Many favorites and many international superstars are converging on this moment. If our hometown US trained heroes are going down, it is at the hands of the Euros. But what European class is showing up? I have always wanted to see Pyro and Tiago face off, well I have wanted to see most of these horses race together. I really can't contain my self. I need a Mt. Dew.

Race Times

What Race are you most excited about?

rich

i was hoping that Curlin would work 7f so i could compare his work with Col.John's. i think i will stick with the HOME team,even though i am giving up the AGE factor.  i think Col.John has all the right CONNECTIONS/STUFF!!!!

16 Oct 2008 12:20 PM
Bob

Where do Canadians watch the Breeders Cup if they don't live near a race track with simulcasting?

16 Oct 2008 12:54 PM
aspradling

Bob: Try these links. The first one should answer your question, but the others are alternate sources.

www.breederscup.com/content.aspx

www.tsn.ca/horse_racing

www.bizjournals.com/.../story4.html

sports.espn.go.com/.../index

16 Oct 2008 1:24 PM
C Bea

Not even a mention of Stardom Bound in the Juvenile Fillies? Even if you're not picking her are you such an East Coast fan that you can't even give props to the best in the west?

16 Oct 2008 1:33 PM
aspradling

The BC pics are initial feelings towards horses I prefer to see do well. I could careless if the horse is American, European, Martian or from the Milky Way. I am a general fan choosing horses I am a fan of.

I really DO love Stardom Bound, and is very deserving of a mention, but I chose who I liked and said what I thought.

What horses are you looking forward to seeing?

16 Oct 2008 2:16 PM
MRO

I know the Distaff is jam-packed, but what about Cocoa Beach? She should at least be listed as a legitimate contender for the win.

16 Oct 2008 2:52 PM
TJluvsTIZs

Stardom Bound is a LOCK for winning.  Zenyatta is a LOCK for winning.  Slew's Tizzy has not had the needed prep to contend for the mile.

With the lack of early speed in the Classic it would be nice to see Well Armed run.  I am worried that he hasn't had a race to sprint to the mile.  Colonel John will need his career best and maybe the new jockey Edgar Prado will be able to get that out of him.  Go Between could end up being the Classic spoiler.

Henrythenavigator and The Duke should run in the Turf Mile as that is their specialty.

If Indian Blessing runs against the boys watch out for Tizzy's Tune in the F&M Sprint!

16 Oct 2008 3:11 PM
mg

Jeez Partner, I'm as big a red, white, and blue fan as you'd want to see, but your comment under the Classic review is astounding.

"But what European class is showing up?" If you just discussing the Classic I'd have to say you're about to see a Group One monster in Duke of Marmalade, not to mention Henry & the Raven, however, the latter two may be more suited to the mile, but could certainly pose a major threat. But if your referring to the Euro contingent as a whole you had better revise your early picks to include several as you are about to see some of their very best including Goldikova who is about to take on the boys.

That being said lets hope all come back safe.

16 Oct 2008 3:21 PM
aspradling

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of nice European horses I have not mentioned coming. I hope to learn more and see them race well while they are here.

Which Euro's would you like to see excel in their races? I think that they would be better suited in another race or two, but want to see the best in the world race each other. As a newer race fan, that would be exciting to see these names compete =)

16 Oct 2008 3:31 PM
Kennedy

Raven's Pass at better odds in the Mile than Classic? No chance at all. He'd be the co/favorite in the Mile and no lower than 8/1 in the Classic.

16 Oct 2008 3:42 PM
C Bea

Henrythenavigator should be fun to watch. I'm also eager to see Street Boss and/or In Summation in the Sprint. Curlin is all class and will enjoy watching him hopefully win the Classic. The fact that Big Brown has had such a light career and Curlin is still here racing and winning says it all as far as who's better there anyway (so not sure we'll miss him...or Ivarone and Dutrow for that matter).

I don't think any of these races are a "lock" by any stretch. Very open fields I think this year.

16 Oct 2008 3:46 PM
aspradling

I think that is a great point, a lot of these races have a lot of options. Jason should expand more on those, because it will make for good betting.

The best thing is, BH puts the PP's in this weeks issue, so we can get a head start in figuring betting angles =)

16 Oct 2008 3:51 PM
EKrueg

Supposdly Euros don't have luck at Santa Anita. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of things that don't happen at the breeders cup happen. There's just too much class this year.

16 Oct 2008 4:08 PM
josue555

this year seems to have very deep fields. i still love last year classic but thats my opinion (don't take it personal anybody.) but what i will really like will be to see pyro and curlin battle it two the wire with either smooth air or student council coming for third. i'm not really into euro horse so i'm sticking with the american horse, also i'm sticking with ginger punch to win the ladys classic over zenatta and grand coutrie or how ever you said winning the turf.

16 Oct 2008 4:37 PM
Brian A.

I think it's just great how the breeders cup was turning into a dud earlier in the year with everyone saying it was a no-go because of the synthetic.  Well that has certainly changed, and the hipe has now begun.  This has to be one of the strongest crops of fillies (all age groups) ever racing in the same year.

I'm hoping for a HUGE Curlin repeat in the Classic, and after seeing his workout on the 12th, I have no doubts about his ability to transfer his ability to the synthetics.

Ginger Punch is my sentimental choice for the "Ladies Classic".  She's got such a heart, I don't recall her ever quitting when the going gets tough.  And I genuinely believe she can get it done again.  It will be so exciting to see Zenyatta, Ginger Punch, Hysterical Lady and Music Note slugging it out all in the same race!

Go Curlin All the way!!!

16 Oct 2008 4:56 PM
Julie L.

After seeing the lineup for this year's Classic I must say that this is one of the best we have had in years. I believe that Curlin is still the horse to win this race but feel that Go Between may be a threat as he does love the synthetic surface but the Europeans make it very interesting also. But with that said I hope that Curlin shows once and for all why he should be this year's Horse of the Year, even if he should not win I feel his performances this year alone warrant the honor.

16 Oct 2008 6:53 PM
The Colonel

I'm looking forward to seeing Midnight Lute win the Sprint again. He's been an absolute monster on the track, and that Pat o' Brien is a toss, especially since he freaked in the starting gate and grabbed his foot (ouch!).

I'm rooting for all the Tiznow players - Colonel John, Well Armed, full brothers Slew's Tizzy and Slew's Tiznow, Bear Now (ha, she's got no chance; Zenyatta is going to WIN), and Tizzy's Tune (if she can catch Indian Blessing, or IB goes into the Sprint vs. Lute). But I'm also loving Casino Drive - he's had an absolute freaky year in the worst way possible and he's still come out on top. It's a huge step forward for him in the Classic but he's got the pedigree, the talent, the class, the experience (over the surface, that is), and wonderful connections who sure as hell know what they're doing.

I saw Stardom Bound at Santa Anita, and she was amazing. She's my pick to win. Smith's Baby Zenyatta, heh. I would like to see Street Hero win the Juvie, because he can do it, especially because of his breeder/owner/trainer who said the Norfolk win was the best thing to ever happen to him.

17 Oct 2008 3:42 AM
Wanda

Bob: Check out the Woodbine Racetrack site and go to Woodbine Live! it will tell you what they are showing on their broadcast BC day. It will be more of a slant on the Canadian connections but they put on a good show with experts in the biz.

17 Oct 2008 1:39 PM
sophiekea

Go Mine That Bird!!!

17 Oct 2008 9:32 PM
aspradling

Well, Red Giant is out eh?

20 Oct 2008 9:06 AM
GingerBoy

Looking forward to the Classic & the Distaff so I can see Curlin & Ginger Punch absolutely KICK BUTT!

20 Oct 2008 10:28 AM
klimpie

The Turf is the race: Second place horse to Red Giant should prevail in this one.

The Lock of the day should be:C.S.Silk

22 Oct 2008 12:49 PM