Racing Returns at Churchill Downs

By J. Keeler Johnson ("Keelerman")

Believe it or not, when the first stakes races of the second annual Churchill Downs September meet are held this Saturday, the road to the 2015 Kentucky Derby will begin with the running of the $100,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) for two-year-old colts and geldings. Sure, it’s a bit early to be talking about the Derby when the Breeders’ Cup has not yet been run, but the Saturday card at Churchill—which features three other stakes races aside from the Iroquois—is much too good to overlook. So let’s take a look at some of the highlights of the card!

Iroquois Stakes (gr. III)

Nine horses have turned out for this 8.5-furlong race, which will offer a total of seventeen Kentucky Derby qualifications points to the top four finishers.

The favorite is likely to be Mr. Z, who broke his maiden in gritty fashion at Churchill Downs before going on to finish second in both the Sanford Stakes (gr. III) and Saratoga Special (gr. II) at Saratoga. Part of what makes Mr. Z such a talented colt is his versatility. He flashed terrific early speed when breaking his maiden, but came from several lengths off the lead in both of his Saratoga stakes runs. This will be his first start beyond 6 ½ furlongs, which is obviously a question mark, but being by Malibu Moon out of a Storm Cat mare, it shouldn’t be a big concern.

Still, since Mr. Z is likely to attract much of the wagering attention, and since none of these lightly-raced colts are proven going 8.5 furlongs on dirt, it might be wise to look for a horse offering better value. I believe that horse is Bold Conquest.

After finishing second in his debut at Saratoga behind the talented Blame Jim, Bold Conquest returned in a 6 ½-furlong maiden race at Saratoga and triumphed in very impressive fashion. Hung wide around the turn while dueling for command, Bold Conquest demonstrated remarkable determination in the homestretch to out-duel Todd Pletcher’s Money Charger by a head. All the more impressive is that Bold Conquest is a son of Curlin out of a Distorted Humor mare, meaning that he should only improve with additional time and distance. For those reasons, I believe he is capable of upsetting Mr. Z on Saturday.

Other colts that I will consider using in the exotics are Danny Boy and Holy Frazier, as both are proven at a mile on turf, and should have little trouble negotiating another sixteenth of a mile. I am particularly intrigued by Danny Boy, who is bred for success on the dirt and is trained by Dale Romans.

Ack Ack Handicap (gr. III)

The Ack Ack lost a great deal of its expected luster when Donn Handicap (gr. I) winner Lea was forced to miss the race with a fever, but the five colts and geldings that have entered are all proven stakes winners, and the race should prove to be a very entertaining one.

Certainly the most well-known horse in the race is Flashback, one of the early favorites for the 2013 Kentucky Derby after winning the Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) in impressive fashion. However, he went to the sidelines following a runner-up effort in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), and while he returned in late 2013 to finish second in the Damascus Stakes and fourth in the Malibu (gr. I), the Bob Baffert-trained colt went to the sidelines again shortly thereafter. The Ack Ack will mark Flashback’s first start since the Malibu, and also his first start under the care of trainer Wayne Catalano. He has shown a steady stream of workouts in preparation for his return, but will he be fit enough to handle the four rivals he will face in the Ack Ack?

Believe it or not, I think Flashback could have trouble cracking the exacta, or even the top three—that’s how capable his rivals are. First and foremost among them is Bradester, most recently runner-up to Valid in the grade II Monmouth Cup Stakes (for which he earned a very impressive 108 Beyer speed figure!) He also finished second to Itsmyluckyday in the Salvator Mile Stakes (gr. III), which demonstrates the good company he has been keeping. In the Ack Ack, he’s drawn post five, which should enable him to work out a terrific stalking trip just behind Right to Vote. Under the circumstances, I believe that Bradester is the horse to beat.

But speaking of Right to Vote, he has finished a close second after setting the pace in each of his last two starts, including a neck defeat in the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker Handicap (gr. III) to fellow Ack Ack starter Carve. But both of those starts came at nine furlongs, and the cutback to a one-turn mile should help his chances a great deal. For me, the race is a tossup between Bradester and Right to Vote, and since the latter is unlikely to be anything better than the fourth choice in the wagering, I’ll take a shot with Right to Vote, and hope that Bradester’s 1-for-5 record at Churchill means that he may not take to the track as well as he has taken to Monmouth.

Who do you like this weekend?

TnT

Hi keerlerman,

I thought hashtag bourbon was really impressive last out, closed beautifuly, I have him all the way to the breeders cup JV.

Missing races next few weeks, but he is one to watch.

04 Sep 2014 7:41 PM
Secreteriat

Thanks Keelerman,

This race is huge for us and we have one of the best trainers who is a 3 time Iroquois winner. Bold Conquest worked very fast before leaving Saratoga and I think he will go off around 4-1. Hashtag Bourbon is the one I fear and Steve'e other horse Lucky Player. I've got to make money for Santa Anita's B C Juvenile if he can finish in the top 2 so I will do a superfecta ticket as follows. Bold Conquest with Hashtag Bourbon and Lucky Player on top with Same, + MR Z in 2nd plus same in third and fourth. I will also play Bold Conquest over and under Hashtag Brown and Lucky Player. Mr Lukas's record in this race is 22 0 3 3 so I will only use him in 2nd and 3rd.

Hopefully Bold Conquest will win.

This race is a win and your in and if he does win all expenses to the B C Juvenile will be paid for us.

04 Sep 2014 8:58 PM
TnT

Good Luck Secreteriat !

04 Sep 2014 9:27 PM
TnT

Good Luck Secreteriat !

04 Sep 2014 9:27 PM
Secreteriat

Thanks TNT

04 Sep 2014 9:54 PM
JayJay

Secreteriat : Must be really exciting to have a horse with a shot at making the BC race.   I really hope BC wins and takes you on a dream ride very few get the opportunity to have.   GOOD LUCK !

Keelerman : I'm going to pick a couple of 2 YOs that I will follow throughout on the road to the KY Derby, something you got me started a couple years ago with my initial pick being Know More and Palace Malice.  Know More is no more but PM turned out to be a good horse even though I jumped off of him after the triple crown.

My pick last year was done very early with an injury and still have not heard anything about him (Exit Stage Left), I picked him over Shared Belief lol.  I'll try and pick the next triple crown winner and horse of the year.

04 Sep 2014 10:15 PM
Pedigree Ann

Best of British luck to you, Secretariat.

Although, I have to say that I do not approve of 1 1/16 mile races at 1 mile tracks for 2yos at this time of year. Too much stress on young leg-joints at the first turn, IMHO; this race used to be a one-turn mile and I don't see why they changed it. But then I'm a dinosaur.

05 Sep 2014 6:31 AM
English Pete

Unfortunately I'll miss the US racing this weekend. We're having the family over and my wife has hit me with a 30hr suspension starting at 4pm UK time Saturday afternoon.

However, if I can get 9/4 or better once our bookies price up the race I will back my best bet of the weekend, namely Medal Count in the Dueling Grounds Derby at Kentucky.  I'm convinced he's best on grass and poly rather than dirt, and even his dirt form entitles him to favouritism at level weights with his own age group and receiving 6lbs from the older horses. Though he ran well in the Belmont, I think that was due to his stamina in a field comprised largely of non-stayers and I believe the distance of 1m 5/16 will suit him as well as the Turf surface. As The Bloodhorse man Frank Angst points out elsewhere on this site, jockey Alborado knows the track well which is important. Alborado will also know that Medal Count lacks acceleration, so I'm looking for a long sustained run down the home straight to take him past his field and seal the win.

Regarding the Churchill meeting, I'm unfamiliar with most of the horses in the principal races especially the 2-year-olds. However, I do want to wish Secretariat well with Bold Conquest. Good luck, mate.

05 Sep 2014 9:33 AM
English Pete

In my earlier post I referred to older horses in the Dueling Grounds Derby. Silly mistake by me as its a field of 3-year-olds, but even more reason why the two conceding weight shouldn't cope with Medal Count.

05 Sep 2014 9:57 AM
Secreteriat

Thank You all! for your well wishes.

I know this is a big jump in class and a long journey ahead of us. We are trying to keep our feet on the ground and not to get overconfident. We have to take this one race at a time but we have been there once before with Snuck In who made it to the Preakness/Arkansas Derby/Rebel and 2 Stakes races in FLA as a 2 yr old. We have a trainer who has won 18 titles at Churchill so we have to take his word when he says we are going to have fun with this horse and I would like to share the ride with all of you for as long as it lasts. The big difference this time is that this is a son of Curlin while Snuck In was a grade 2 and 3 horse. There are some very well bred 2 yr olds in this years crop and we are going to see some great races. By the Way Mr Lukas has won the Pocahontas 3 times so Take Charge Brandi is my pick in that one. I will use her in the DD with my top 3 in the 9 race.

Once again.

Thank you to All!

05 Sep 2014 10:13 AM
Rusty Weisner

Keelerman,

No respect for the girls?  The Pocahontas follows the Iroquois; Untapable won it last year.  Seems like an interesting double to try to play.

Nice weather at Churchill tomorrow.  I'll dig up some pp's and try to play one or both of these.  One of them has got to have a longshot.

05 Sep 2014 10:23 AM
Secreteriat

British Pedigree Ann,

On another subject I am from the Island of Malta and we loved being with the British for a hundred years. In 1964 My Dad and who was a Regiment Sargent Major and my Mom were invited for tea with Queen Elizabeth. In a few days Princess Kate will be gong to Malta for a few days to celebrate the 50th anniversary. That was the year I emigrated to Toronto. I got married to my wonderful bride in 1967 and moved to N.Y.C and lived there till 1981 and then came to Houston.

Thanks for British good luck, now I feel more confident!

05 Sep 2014 10:27 AM
Coldfacts

At the risk of being accused of self-glorification and being ridiculed, I am forced to state that I told you so.

Below are extracts from a submission I made under the blog titled - Palace Malice Headlines Huge Saturday of Racing.

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 10:08 AM

'It appears many still refuse to acknowledge the history of Todd Pletcher trained horses. Each time one comes to prominence it is place on a pedestal and litany of statements driven by unrestrained emotions are posted by knowledge folks.'

'I keep a log of the Todd Pletcher trained horses that suddenly and without explanation go MIA. The number is extensive. Do not expect the ones that have gone in the other direction to get back on track. [PM is now damage goods and will be retired to one of the many farms that have been bombarding his owners for his stallion service]'

The colt facts are what they are!

05 Sep 2014 2:48 PM
ebcorde

all the CD stakes races are very competitive.

I like Ria Antonia in Race 8. He's the 5 horse with Rosario riding.

05 Sep 2014 3:04 PM
Secreteriat

Pedigree Ann.

I forgot to include for Queen Elizabaeth's visit in 1964 for Malta's Independence from England.

05 Sep 2014 3:43 PM
Rusty Weisner

Keelerman,

2-yo races?  Who am I kidding?  Nevertheless, let's take a stab.  I like Danny Boy, too.  There are an awful lot of 4-1, 5-1 horses in this race; something has to give.

05 Sep 2014 4:20 PM
English Pete

Hi Coldfacts, I'd hesitate to agree with your use of the word 'Forced', but on balance I think it's okay for you to toot your own horn on this one :)

05 Sep 2014 4:30 PM
Rusty Weisner

Danny Boy on top in $2 exactas and $1 tri keys with 1,2,8.

05 Sep 2014 4:47 PM
Secreteriat

My Louisiana Derby Picks are.

$2 TRI 4 W 1-6 W ALL

$1 Super

1=5=6 W 4 W All W All

05 Sep 2014 6:33 PM
Plod Boy Phil

Coldfacts -

That's good comedy.

05 Sep 2014 6:46 PM
gonewest

I think it is tragic what has happened to Turfway Park

05 Sep 2014 7:21 PM
Little Bill

Agree Gonewest, it's criminal.

05 Sep 2014 8:05 PM
-Keelerman

What a shame that Palace Malice had to be retired due to a bone bruise... I was really hoping that he would return in good form this fall, and maybe even race as a five-year-old next year. Oh well. Coldfacts, you were absolutely right when you predicted that he would soon be retired.

Rusty Weisner;

I haven't given the Pocahontas Stakes a close look yet, but I'll definitely be doing so tomorrow! My initial thought is side with Secreteriat and choose Take Charge Brandi on top, but she's in the same boat as Mr. Z, stretching out around two turns for the first time.

JayJay;

That sounds like fun! One colt I have my eye on is Om, who absolutely crushed a 6 1/2-furlong maiden special weight at Del Mar on August 9th. Finishing behind him that day were American Pharoah, Calculator, and Iron Fist, who returned to run 1-2-3 in the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) on September 3rd. I'm very excited to see how Om progresses during the coming months!

05 Sep 2014 10:12 PM
JayJay

Coldfacts : "I told you so !!!!!!!!!!! " would've been sufficient... because you did tell us, not sure why you have to put in the "being ridiculed and accused of self-glorification"... not sure what you would be glorifying yourself with that prediction, besides, KY Vet owns that area of this blog.

Keelerman : I'm going to start studying the list of bazillion 2 YOs this weekend.   Some of the 2YOs I looked at very early last year were Danza who I noticed because I used to watch Tony Danza's shows but never really thought him winning a G1 race after being on the shelf for most of the trail.   I had fun watching the horses I noticed early and see them run well.

I actually like the Pocahontas than the Ack Ack.  There's just no value to play the Ack Ack and I don't see Carve losing this race so it'll probably be favorites.  The Pocahontas is the race I'm focused on as I really like the 4 horse here, Cristina’s Journey at 5-1 ML.  I think she's a single in my P4, I see her rating off the lead and winning handily, I just hope she stays around her ML odds.   I'll play Rachel's Ready, TCB, True To Yourself and Pangburn underneath.

As much as I want BC to win the Iroquois for Secreteriat, he'll have a tough opponent in Mr. Z who I think will edge him for the win.   I'll be rooting for BC though,  The one horse that's intriguing is the Dorochenko horse who was in the Hopeful Stakes but didn't do anything and coming back this quick makes me think the trainer is either smart or really desperate.   My guess is that this horse was ready for a big run in the Hopeful but for some reason was compromised by something.   I watched the Hopeful again and can't find anything as he was off the camera most of the race but I got this nagging feeling of "why ?"....why run him back this soon...not to mention the downgrade on the jockey, it's like doing the worst possible things to prepare a horse for a G3 race lol.

06 Sep 2014 1:00 AM
Pedigree Ann

Secretariat - for the record, I am an American, from Lexington, KY, but since my husband is on sabbatical at Queen's University in Belfast for a year, I think I am entitled to send some of the local luck Stateside.

06 Sep 2014 3:48 AM
Pedigree Ann

The racing is coming fast and furious all over the world at this time of year. The Northern Hemisphere is moving into the autumn championship season, while the Southern Hemisphere is plunging into its spring classic season. Guineas-type races will be run today in Argentina and Brasil, and New Zealand ran  the first of its many early season 3yo races with 'Guineas' in its name overnight (time zone stuff). Lankan Rupee, one of the highest ranked sprinters in the world, made his seasonal debut in Melbourne and was run down late by a filly while a shipper from Tasmania (read Ohio) shipped in to take down the big race of the day. Over in Sydney, the top 2yo filly Earthquake made her 3yo debut and ran only third, while Tiger Tees, winner to two group races already this spring, was tagged by the late-closing Lucia Valentina. The latter was a G1 winner over 10f last year and shapes to be a stayer in the making, as she is by Savabeel (son of Zabeel, great sire of distance horses) out of a Montjeu mare, so remember her name come Melbourne Cup time. Only like many Montjeus, she likes a bit of cut in the ground - beware when the course is 'good.'

06 Sep 2014 4:08 AM
Coldfacts

My deficiency in properly proofreading my submissions was in play again.

Below is a corrected version of an extract from a previous submission.

'It appears many still refuse to acknowledge the history of Todd Pletcher trained horses. Each time one comes to prominence it is placed on a pedestal and a litany of statements driven by unrestrained emotions are posted by knowledgeable folks.'

06 Sep 2014 7:54 AM
JerseyBoy

About Palace Malice.

Curlin has produced 2 graded stakes winners out of 166 runners to date, according to the Bloodhorse Stallion Register.

That is a percentage rate of 1.2%.

One of the two stakes winners is Palace Malice, trained by Todd Pletcher.

Palace Malice has earned $2,676,135. He made 17 starts.

This guy Pletcher must be a magician to produce such an achievement with an offspring of this low-producing stallion.

He also developed siring sensation Super Saver.

Did I say I told you so? I can’t remember.

06 Sep 2014 8:12 AM
Coldfacts

Louisiana Flyboy:

1st start: 08/01/2013 -1st

2nd start: 11/03/2013 – 93 days - 9th

3rd start: 12/22/2013 – 48 days - 2nd

4th start: 02/21/2014 – 60 days - 2nd

5th start: 06/21/2014 – 119 days- 1st

6th start: 08/02/2014 – 41 days - 1st

The above breakdown of the intervals between starts for Louisiana Flyboy suggests two things. He is a very talented colt but one also troubled by unsoundness issues.

He won his first start under the care of Patrick Mouton. He hopped out of the gates and was 12L behind the field early. He displayed tremendous speed to close the deficit and was taken 6W at the top of the stretch and still won by widening 6 3/4L. He erased 12L and added 6 3/4L which equates to an 18 3/4L rally en route to victory. If the lengths lost with his 6W move are included his commanding victory is even more impressive. It takes an exceptionally talented horse to win a sprint race while overcoming such challenges in its first race.

He was switched to Chad Brown for his next 3 starts. Although he finished 2nd twice while under Chad Brown's care, he was beaten a combined 25 3/4L in those 3 races. All 3 starts were at Aqueduct and the colt performances suggested he either disliked the surface or his new handlers.

It is worth noting that his 1st start after being switched to Chad Brown was 93 days after his debut. His next 2 starts for Brown were 48 and 60 day apart. This is a clear indication the colt had issues.

He was retuned to the care of Patrick Mouton and 119 days after his 4th start, he made his 5th start and the 2nd  for the initial trainer. He scored a commanding victory in the Lafayette. That was followed by another victory in a similar fashion. Pat Mouton appears to have the Midas tough as he has a 100% win record with this colt in 3 starts.

I am of the opinion that Louisiana Flyboy is the most talented horse in the field. It appears the physical and other issues that have inhibited his progress are behind him. The fact that he will be making his next start in shortest interval of his career (34 days) is an indicator. This spells trouble for the field as this colt has Silky Sullivan like of acceleration.

His sire Fusaichi Pegasus now stand for $7500 a far cry from his initial stud fee as the only Derby winning son of Mr. Prospector. Occasionally one of his progenies flash some of his brilliance. The last to do same was the brilliantly fast Premier Pegasus. Fusaichi Pegasus  is no longer covering upwards of 150 mares per year and consequently he should be able to add more quality to his crops.

Louisiana Flyboy has a 100% win record at LAD and that includes two wins a year apart. His 1st start exposed his exceptional talent and should he be fit and well, this chestnut grandson of Mr. Prospector will be rolling in the last furlong.

I think he can get there.

06 Sep 2014 8:39 AM
Coldfacts

The horses below are multiple G1 winners and multimillionaires that were produced from mares sired by Triple Crown winner Affirmed.

Harlan’s Holiday (22 Starts 9-6-1; E: $3.6M)

Pleasantly Perfect (18 Starts 9-3-2; E: $7.8M)

It might be unbelievable to most to known that there are no tail male descendants of the great Triple Crown winner standing in the US. His mares like those of fellow TC winner Secretariat are considered premium in any broodmare band.  His remaining active mares must be few in numbers as on very rare occasions a foal pops up on radar with Affirmed as dam sire.

One such foal turned 3YO is Victory Nor Defeat. The colt immediately caught my attention on his debut when I saw he was out of an Affirmed mare. I was very keen to see how he would performed and he did not disappoint as he closed willingly to secure a decisive victory over 7F in a good time of 1:23 1/5. That performance made him a must follow as not only was he out of an Affirmed mare but his sire Unbridled’s Song belonged to an elite group of  stallions that had sires 100 or more stakes winners.

After his impressive debut on dirt, he was surprisingly placed in a turf race and was badly beaten. In addition to his poor performance, it appears he suffered an injury as was MIA for 3 months.

Upon his return he scored a determined victory over 8F and was narrowly defeated by the very fast Cee Zee over 6 1/2F a distance way too short for him. Both races were contested at Gulfstream Park. The surface at Gulfstream Park makes winning races from off the pace very difficult. The fact that he has willingly against the speed bias for a victory and a narrow loss, is a testament to the colt's immense ability.

Victory Nor Defeat will enjoy every inch of the 9F Super Derby and with an expected strong pace, the race will set up ideally for him. It appears another good one has been produced by an Affirmed mare. This colt has the pedigree and base on his last two starts, he certainly has the speed and stamina to defeat this field.

I am torn between Victory Nor Defeat and Louisiana Flyboy. I give the edge to the latter as he is undefeated at the track. Despites the credentials of the established starter in the field I believe these two colts are capable of winning.

Louisiana Flyboy is my courageous first choice.

06 Sep 2014 9:03 AM
JerseyBoy

If the track is dry, I go with:

-Jessica’s Star in the Super Derby.

-Mr Z in the Iroquois.

06 Sep 2014 9:12 AM
JayJay

I called it !   I told whoever was worried about Coldfacts going away that it won't take long before he'll be back here posting his race analysis.  I told you so !!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Super Derby :  I like Announcement in this race, he can go head to head or stay back and I think he'll be rating off of ViT coming from the 11th hole.  Nice ML at 12-1.    With focus on Jessica and Vicar, they'll forget East Hall who I believe is on par with the top two.

$.20 Super : 1, 11 with 1, 11, 10 with 1, 11, 10, 4, 5 with 1, 11, 10, 4, 5

06 Sep 2014 1:53 PM
Coldfacts

Iroquois:

Cleveland Sound is an interesting colt. Sometime the pedigree of a horse captures the attention.

The pedigree of the recently retired Palace Malice reflects Royal Anthem as dam sire. The US bred, European raced and based champion is rarely seen as a dam sire for American based horses. Royal Anthem is a tail male descendent of Northern Dancer via Theatrical. The Northern Dancer broodmare line via his tail male descendants has been the most prolific producers of winners of TC races in the last 20 year.

Cleveland Sound’s pedigree reflects Horse Chestnut as dam sire. The South African bred champion is rarely seen as a dam sire in the pedigrees of American bred horses despite his stint in the US. Horse Chestnut is a tail male descendent of Northern Dancer via Fort Wood. Cleveland Sound’s dam line is synonymous with producing top class horses. Is He one?

Despite not being a sprinter he won on debut race over 5F in 58.90 striding out powerfully at the end. His next effort was in the G2 Saratoga Special that saw him occupying last early and closing late with trouble in the stretch. Blocked behind horse and having to switch direction late cost him 3rd at least. The distances of his first two starts were not ideal. However, the 8.5F of the Iroquois will more ideal, thus allowing him to be more competitive.

Cleveland Sound’s dam was unraced and her dam was sired by Deputy Minister who needs no introduction. Historically unraced and lightly race dams are associated with most champions. Cleveland Sound is clearly a router and if he is capable of winning over 5F in 58 .90 he has a lot of class and ability. He was not inexpensive as a yearling purchase as his ticket was signed for $300K.

His trainer Graham Motion is amongst the best  conditioners in the business and is known for winning big races at long odds. It is unlikely that he would ship this colt to CD if he wasn’t absolutely sure it would be competitive. Expect him to be doing his best work late and I think he has the ability to prevail.

I like him to upset the in the Iroquois.

06 Sep 2014 2:23 PM
KY VET

WHAT A GENIUS!........PALICE MALICE lasted longer than almost all of the top horses of that years crop! Those poor, poor owners!......is this like the "zenyatta isnt great" posts?  She loses by a head......"see! i told you so!"...........WHAT A DUNCE!....STUPIDER.....GETS STUPIDER..............IT'S JUST LIKE.....when lukas was on top........he ruins horses!.....or baffert when he was training big stable, or asmussen, or any super trainer.........you cant understand, its a numbers thing!..........what good is a brain, when you cant use it right?

06 Sep 2014 3:45 PM
Sam Santschi

Cleveland Sound for me.

06 Sep 2014 4:48 PM
-Keelerman

With two minutes to post time for the Iroquois Stakes, there are a couple of horses whose odds are much higher than I thought they would be. One is Lucky Player, the only horse in the race to have run as far as a mile on dirt. He is currently 16-1, up from 5-1 on the morning line.

The other horse offering surprisingly high odds is Holy Frazier, currently 40-1 off a 12-1 morning line. These prices are probably due in part to the fact that Mr. Z has been bet down to 9-5 (from 5-2 on the morning line) and Danny Boy down to 5-2 (off a 5-1 morning line.)

As I'm typing this, the odds are shifting dramatically -- Lucky Player is down to 11-1, Danny Boy has risen to 4-1, and Mr. Z is now 6-5. Apparently, others are noticing the surprising odds as well! :)

06 Sep 2014 4:57 PM
-Keelerman

Well, it may not have been a victory, but what a run from Bold Conquest in the Iroquois! After getting hung five wide entering the first turn while attempting to track the pace, it looked like Bold Conquest was starting to retreat as the field approached the far turn. But then he unleashed an eye-catching run on the turn to reach contention turning for home, and after a prolonged stretch duel with Lucky Player, he lost by just a neck in an impressive performance. If not for the ground loss, I think he would have won convincingly. Congratulations, Secreteriat! Bold Conquest's effort was one to be proud of!

06 Sep 2014 5:05 PM
Sam Santschi

What was Bridgemohan thinking while on Cleveland Sound?

06 Sep 2014 5:11 PM
Pedigree Ann

Many congratulations, Sec. After all the ground he lost, Bold Conquest ran an admirable race.

06 Sep 2014 5:16 PM
Little Bill

Lad 11) Victory Nor Defeat. I am also giving Louies Flower chance to run a big one.

06 Sep 2014 5:17 PM
Secreteriat

Thank you Keelerman, Pedigree Ann, Jay Jay

We didn't get the win but we know we have the better horse. He proved himself around 2 turns parked outside and already has 2 races at Churchill. 500K Grade 1 Win & you're In Breeders Futurity next at Keenland.

I hope some of you cashed in today.

Steve had the one two finishers and I had the Exacta and the Tri so it was a good day.

06 Sep 2014 9:41 PM
JayJay

Secreteriat : That was a heartbreaker, I think his post cause him the race as 90% of the field rushed up to the lead and Rosario had to urge him not to lose any more ground after leaving the gate and then having to run pretty much 3 or 4 wide all the way around, he ran an awesome race.   Out of all the curlin babies out there, he might be the one that actually follows his dad's footsteps.   I'm sorry he didn't get the win but hopefully you guys get another shot at the BC Juvenile race.  He's got a really good tactical speed (will probably like the SA track) and he's a fighter in the stretch so I'm excited for you and your son.   GOOD LUCK in his next race!

07 Sep 2014 2:42 AM
Secreteriat

Thank You Jay Jay.

That's exactly what Steve told us. He will get better as they go longer and by Derby day he will be bigger, stronger and faster.

07 Sep 2014 7:07 AM
TnT

Great Sereteriat ! Hope the BC is next.

I boxed the 8-1 so did not cash in, but was cheering Bold Conquest on,

Hastag B had a rough stretch trip maybe the distance was a bit to far for him, but I will play him next race, he showed all the signs of a guy who wants to win.

07 Sep 2014 8:29 AM
Rusty Weisner

JayJay,

Re Coldfacts: Aahh, things are back to normal.  In every respect.

07 Sep 2014 10:43 AM
Rusty Weisner

Keelerman,

The odds were interesting; something gave, all right.  The herd-like gravitation to Mr. Z. indicated a race where no one knew who to pick.

07 Sep 2014 10:47 AM
UncleStosh

I just looked a the card for Sunday at Churchill. It has to be the worse card this side of a harness track. Are they serious? Is this really the track that puts on the KD? There are better races and higher purses in Nicaragua.

07 Sep 2014 12:16 PM
Little Bill

CD don't have slot money. That's the difference.

07 Sep 2014 3:54 PM
TnT

I actually had to go to the rough side of town yesterday to see/bet the iroquois, the big big caribbean bookmakers no longer cover Churchill, bar KD day, since the up in take out.

07 Sep 2014 5:41 PM
JayJay

Rusty : Yes, never had any doubts about it.

08 Sep 2014 12:15 AM
TnT

yay had a tiny win bet on my boy mosler today..........his full brother also sold for 2.2 mil today!!

11 Sep 2014 6:03 PM