Home

0633236
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Pulpit Preaching Precocity

Given that he never raced at 2, Pulpit would seem to be an unlikely influence for precocity, but we are noting that seems to be a trait associated with his stallion sons. A few weeks ago, we mentioned his son Stroll, a middle-distance turf horse, who already has three 2-year-old stakes winners from his first crop.

Pulpit has another first-crop freshman son in Tapit (TrueNicks,SRO) (who did win the Laurel Futurity (gr. III) at 2). He has no fewer than 14 first-crop winners, including Stardom Bound (TrueNicks B), who has asserted herself as the leader of the West Coast juvenile filly division with wins in the Del Mar Debutante Stakes (gr. I) and Oak Leaf Stakes (gr. I).

Then there is Pulpit's Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) winner Sky Mesa (TrueNicks,SRO) , who has second-crop juveniles this year. He is currently leading sire of 2-year-olds by individual winners, with 19, including the Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) winner Terrain (TrueNicks A) and Sky Haven (TrueNicks A), who took the Presque Isle Debutante Stakes (incidentially both are out of mares by sons of Mr Prospector). In fact Tapit and Sky Mesa currently sit in third and fourth on the Leading Sires of 2-Year-Olds list. It's obviously going to be worth keeping an eye on the offspring of Purge (TrueNicks,SRO) , who will be 2-year-olds of 2009.  (Other Pulpit sons who are at stud but yet to have runners are Corinthian (TrueNicks,SRO) , Oratory, and Ecclesiastic (TrueNicks,SRO) ).

Perhaps the key to Pulpit's influence is to be found in his pedigree. His sire, A.P. Indy (TrueNicks,SRO) , is more noted for his runners at classic distances, but he did win the Hollywood Futurity (gr. I) at 2. And Pulpit's dam, Preach, a daughter of Mr. Prospector, captured the Frizette Stakes (gr. I) as a juvenile.

Filed under: ,

6 Comments:

I'll never forget Corinthian in the beginning of his 3 year old year!!  Was that the FOuntain of Youth where he was taken down?

Denise 01 Oct 2008 3:03 PM

Denise,

That was the race. He beat a good field that day too.

Byron

Byron Rogers 01 Oct 2008 11:10 PM

Pulpit has always been one of my big favorites, but it took time to figure him out with his crosses.

From his sons, I have cast my ballots for the underdog of Pulpit descendants: Oratory. He's a beautiful horse and an impressive winner. I have this hunch...

• Byron's Reply - I thought that Darley coming to a deal with Oratory to stand him at the Pons' farm in Maryland was an inspired agreement. Country Life have a great record of stallion management in Maryland and the horse has been very well received in that state. Oratory ran the fastest 1 1/8-miles in America in 2005, when he won the Gr. II Peter Pan Stakes in 1:46.35, breaking a 23-year-old stakes record held by Slew o' Gold so he had genuine speed over a route of ground which is a devastating combination. I agree.....he has a great shot to make it.
Estuardo 02 Oct 2008 2:23 PM

Stroll, another Pulpit son, is also off to a great start as Van  Lear Rose was an impressive stakes winner at Woodbine over the weekend.

pedigreeadviser 07 Oct 2008 8:17 AM

From America to Europe and on to Australia, we take an international overview of recent stakes winners, standout sires, and emerging nicks.

TrueNicks 08 Oct 2008 2:59 PM

Pulpit has a son named Insurgence that will be one to watch for as he is out of a Fappaino who is bred like Tapit and will show the value when one can't afford Tapit. Watch this horse was pushed to hard as a two year old won second out then third race a grade 3 and injured but check out his pedigree and tell me!!!! Fo a thousand  and a chance it will be well worth it even though he is in Oklahoma

michael 20 Nov 2011 8:44 PM