Home

0629143
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

DE MARE -- Dehere Makes Impact as a Broodmare Sire

For us, the defining moment in the stallion career of Dehere (TrueNicks,SRO) came in the 1998 renewal of the Matron Stakes (gr. I). There, his previously unbeaten daughter Arrested Dreams missed by just a nose. If memory serves correctly, a win by Arrested Dreams would have enabled Dehere to lift the freshman sire honors instead of finishing a close second to End Sweep. It would have also meant that Dehere would have been represented by a first-year grade I winner. Instead, he had to wait until 2002, when Take Charge Lady, a member of his fourth crop, won the Ashland Stakes and Overbrook Spinster Stakes (both gr. I), to be represented by a Northern Hemisphere scorer.

Had that race finished differently, Dehere would have maintained enough momentum to remain in the U.S. until it became clear that he was a solid mid-range sire (who might have done even better with the books he would have received following a leading freshman sire title). As it was, Dehere was exported to Japan in 2000, when Take Charge Lady was just a yearling. (He's now returned stateside and stands at Ashford Stud for a very reasonable $15,000.)

Despite the fact that his runners didn't really appreciate the environment in Japan, Dehere has still racked up a total of 60 stakes winners and 26 graded winners. However, the reason we're writing about Dehere at the moment is his burgeoning career as a broodmare sire (which might have something to do with the fact that his dam is a daughter of broodmare sire great Secretariat).

Dehere is already broodmare sire of 27 stakes winners, and is the youngest stallion in the top 100 on the list of leading broodmare sires in the U.S. for 2008 (he ranks #35). He's also ninth on the Australian broodmare sire list for the 2008-2009 season.

His best-know runner is the back-to-back Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) victor Midnight Lute (TrueNicks,SRO), and he's also already broodmare sire of Australian group I winners Forensics (AUS) and Rebel Raider (AUS).

We can note him as a promising cross for Mr. Prospector (particularly through Fappiano), A.P. Indy (TrueNicks,SRO) , and Blushing Groom. It's also interesting that he is already broodmare sire of three stakes winners by sons of Storm Cat (specifically, Sea of Secrets, High Yield, and Cat Thief, a trio that would not qualify as three of Storm Cat's better sons). It's probably significant that Storm Cat and Dehere are both products of the Northern Dancer/Secretariat cross.

Filed under:

7 Comments:

Its about time he got some credit.  I always thought he deserved more attention at stud then people were giving him.  I would have sent my mares to him if I had had the option!

Michelle Wingo 14 Nov 2008 9:52 AM

Chris McCarron commentated on TVG about 2 months ago that Dehere was the fastest 2yo he EVER got on.

I follow Australian horse racing, and Forensics is basically the "Midnight Lute of Australia."  She won the $3 Million Dollar Golden Slipper at 2 against males and is a powerful sprinter-miler, having won Group 1 races at 2, 3, and 4.  She has a phenomenal turn of foot and lays it on the line every time.  It's hard to think any breeder could get better performance from a sire that stands for U.S. $15,000.

Tony Kelso 14 Nov 2008 12:32 PM

1st dam, Sister Dot, is the product of Secretariat and the Damascus mare, Sword Game. She is also the dam of 2 other Deputy Minister sons, Dehere and Hans Anderson.

Shamfan49 14 Nov 2008 5:20 PM

Oops! Did I confuse Defrere and Dehere in my previous post? I'm sorry.

According to www.pedigreequery.com Sister Dot's Deputy Minister sons are Dehere (1991), Defrere (1992), Hans Anderson (1998) and Vice Admiral (aka Surrogate - 1999).

Shamfan49 14 Nov 2008 5:29 PM

In my opinion, the most misjudged horse since Sunday Silence.

Both my coming 2yo's are by him and are striking and athletic. Another filly arrives in March.

FiftyYearsPlus 14 Nov 2008 11:51 PM

If you're right about how much that loss by a nose impacted Dehere's future as a sire, that's a sad commentary on the analytic abilities of many in the thoroughbred industry.  I've written more about that in my blog at thoroughmetrics.blogspot.com

Alex 15 Nov 2008 6:06 AM

Its interesting reading about this sire, my boyfriend is a farrier and just trimmed a very neglected son of Dehere... nice stud and is now owned by some people who are taking good care of him and crossbreeding him to a percheron mare... butt so sad to see that a horse with such prestigous lineage has gone to waste...

missy 02 Jun 2011 9:52 PM