Home

0624726
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Tribal Rule, Unusual Heat Dominate Horse Racing in California

In a big weekend for Cal-breds, two sires had a particularly good time. The blazingly fast but lightly-raced Storm Cat son Tribal Rule (TrueNicks,SRO) was represented at Hollywood Park by Rule the Storm, who took the Warren's Thoroughbreds Stakes, and by Tribal Justice, successful in the Grey Memo Stakes. In his first three crops, Tribal Rule -- a close genetic relative to [YankeeGentelman] -- now has 12 stakes winners from just 91 starters. Rule the Storm is out of a mare by Falstaff and Tribal Justice out of a mare by Danzig (both rated A++ by TrueNicks), which means that Tribal Rule now has four stakes winners (also including grade I winner Georgie Boy) out of Northern Dancer-line mares, even though he's a great-grandson of Northern Dancer himself.

The Nureyev stallion Unusual Heat was represented by Pretty Unusual and Beltene, who took first and third in the Melair Stakes, and Unusual Smoke and Apoplectic, who occupied the same positions in the TVG Khaled Stakes.

Pretty Unusual (TrueNicks rated A++) is out of a mare by Siphon (BRZ) (TrueNicks,SRO), and is interesting as her second dam has Nearctic and Forli, the two grandsires of Unusual Heat's sire Nureyev, in the first three generations of her pedigree. Unusual Smoke -- also rated A++ -- is out of a mare by Red Bishop, a son of Silver Hawk, and is the third stakes winner sired by Unusual Heat out of a Roberto-line mare. By strange coincidence, both Pretty Unusual and Unusual Smoke have second dams by Time to Explode (a son of the Nearctic son Explodent). \

All told Unusual Heat has 23 stakes winners, six graded, including grade I winner Golden Doc A, and grade II scorers Lethal Heat and Tucked Away.

Filed under: ,

6 Comments:

Unusual Heat has been crossing well with whatever mare you throw at him. He should be getting more and better mares now. It's nice to find a stallion like him. Tribal Rule is another stallion doing extremely well. I only hope that both stallions remain in California and do not get sent back to Kentucky.

Julie L. 30 Apr 2009 3:27 PM

I am hoping that the Unusual Heat mares will be excellent broodmares!

foxtale 01 May 2009 3:28 PM

I am happy to see Unusual Heat getting some national play. He has an impeccable pedigree and I hope he gets some quality mares before he is retired. If he gets some quality broodmares from his get, I hope Lethal Heat will be one. It doesn't hurt that he has one of mt all time favorite horses in his pedigree - Forli. I have been mad since 1968 when he was driven into the rail at AP, but still finished second. I can never forget seeing him finish and when he was pulled up, his leg was dangling. That race biased me against Shoemaker and it took a long time to overcome. That bias cost me big at Hollywood Park when JO Tobin wired Seattle Slew.

TexSpect 02 May 2009 8:33 PM

Foxtail, I'm also hoping that Unusual Heat will be a good broodmare sire. I own his first starter/winner. She made $125,000 and is a full sister to Apoplectic. Just wish I bred in Calif.,where her foals would be more popular. Any suggestions....

Mark D. 19 May 2009 5:25 PM

i own a son of unusual heat winner of 7 races (1 stakes)that is in cyprus and since 2009 is a stallion. i am expecting first foals in feb 2010. i hope unusual heat sons will pass the royal blood to grandsons. thanks

nikos fringas 15 Jan 2010 1:32 AM

I am looking for a broodmare, possibly not even here in the states 1st to 3rd generation Pompeii Court. P.C. Stood at stud in New Zealand, Would appreciate any Information.  Mr Ron

Ron H. 22 Jan 2010 12:05 PM