Home

0605414
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Your Turn: Analyze Rachel Alexandra's Breeding Opportunities

With a year and a half of the TrueNicks blog and 300-plus posts behind us, it has not escaped our attention that there are some passionate horsemen and pedigree analysts who frequent this corner of the Web. Indeed the "TrueNicks Community" has at times both intrigued and informed us and we are certainly thankful for this community that has given us some great ideas and provided us with timely inspiration to continue improving our services, creating new reports and engaging you on a day to day basis.

One of the more passionate blog posts, at least from the viewpoint of community comments, was that of the undefeated Peppers Pride. We opened up the forum, asking readers to suggest to whom "Peppers" should be bred to and the reaction was overwhelming!

This gave us another idea. We thought that the current brilliant 3-year-old filly Rachel Alexandra would be an excellent opportunity to ask our community once again to become the pedigree analyst. In fact, we're going to use your comments to compile a unique Pedigree Consultants mating report to submit to owner Jess Jackson.  While "Rachel" might remain in training in 2010 -- especially given her new owners' desire to see horses race on as older horses -- we also hear that she is to be bred to Curlin upon retirement. Let's have a look at all the options out there and decide if Curlin is a good pick (or even the best choice!). Who knows:  if we come up with a compelling reason that Rachel lines up perfectly with another stallion, maybe that stallion will be lined up for her second foal....

The format:

1. You may choose any stallion actively standing anywhere in the world, regardless of stud fee or location.
  2. Submit a comment on the stallion that you think would best suit Rachel Alexandra.  (Please keep your comments professional and provide your reasons for selecting a particular stallion. Comments like "I suggest Tiznow because he has big ears" are probably not going to make it past Scot who moderates all comments, let alone make it into the field for final consideration.)
  3. Readers are allowed to submit as many stallions as desired, but are asked to include only one stallion in each comment.
  4. We will keep the comments field open for submissions from 11 May through 03 August, a period of 12 weeks.
  5. At that time we will collate all the analyses (comments) and then turn it back over to you to vote on which one you think we should have as the top selection!
  6. The top seven stallion choices from our survey will be selections #1 through #7 on the Pedigree Consultants Mating Report (sample here) submitted to the connections of Rachel Alexandra.
  7. The Pedigree Consultants Mating Report allows for eight comments, and the eighth suggestion will be from Alan Porter.
  8. At that point, Alan will also pen a few words describing the benefits and risks of each of the eight selected stallions.  Watch for updates here on TrueNicks.com.
  9. Finally, we will present Jess Jackson with a bound copy of the mating report for Rachel Alexandra that includes the selected comments by our TrueNicks community.

Resources to help you along:

• North American matches: View the TrueNicks Broodmare Analysis Report for Rachel Alexandra run with all commercial stallions ($30,000+ fee) standing in North America
  • Worldwide matches:  View the TrueNicks Broodmare Analysis Report for Rachel Alexandra run with all commercial stallions (equivalent of $30,000+ fee) standing in Europe, Australia, and Japan
  • View all the stallions that are subscribed to TrueNicks to run FREE reports, compliments of the stud farm.  You might wish to run free reports for stallions whose fees are under $30,000 or studs standing for private fees.
So get to it!

Contest rules were updated 06/23/2009 at 4:23 p.m.

Filed under: ,

160 Comments:

Who could forget, Terlingua, Bold Ruler, Northern Dancer, or even Secretariat.  If Jess Jackson wants to complement the well thought out pedigree of the wonder horse, Rachel Alexandra, I suggest that he gets on the phone with Overbrook Farm and attempts to set up a visit with the pensioned stallion, Storm Cat.  Maybe an exception could be made for a special horse.

If this didn't pan out, I would strongly consider the successful sons and grandsons of Storm Cat.  This brings in one more strain of Northern Dancer and it does so using a cross that has already been successful with El Prado mares.

Finally, I don't think there is a chance of getting shut out with Curlin, considering that they own him; I would probably wait on that cross and get over to Overbrook once the mare has picked up her 2009 Eclipse Award for Horse of the Year.

Kent D. Hersman 11 May 2009 10:41 AM

My Roar mare is a good match with the Quiet American boys (she is currently in foal to Quiet Cash, a son of Real Quiet, who stands here in British Columbia), so, I would say, breed her to REAL QUIET or his son, MIDNIGHT LUTE.

Andrea 11 May 2009 11:08 AM

I believe Curlin is the one for her. I am not a pro at this, but from what I have read, they have complementary breeding and background, that could make for an incredible baby.

wendyg 11 May 2009 11:17 AM

I would like to nominate Showing Up. Curlin, although a very good horse is not that versitle. Showing Up ran on all surfaces and at varios distances. Curlin is an unknown prospect as a stallion, as is Showing Up but I would go for the Nashrullah factor in his dam side.

Dona 11 May 2009 11:22 AM

breed to tiznopw for toughness, all his babys are fighters. lok at well armed

warren 11 May 2009 11:28 AM

I think that Street Cry would be an excellent choice ! He seems to cross well with Northern Dancer line mares, plus he's a proven stallion ! Iwas also looking at Bernardini but, Ineed to do some more research on that.

Pedigree Shelly 11 May 2009 11:33 AM

I would choose AP Indy for several reasons.  While Storm Cat was a great stallion, there is already enough Northern Dancer in Rachel Alexandra's pedigree.  AP Indy is free of Northern Dancer and would introducue both Secretariat and Seattle Slew into the nix.

Susan Petre 11 May 2009 11:40 AM

I think it will be easy to list off the sires at 75k plus as all easy matches.  What I see in Rachel is a big physical horse that I'd want matched w/ a big physical stallion, i'd like to duplicate what made her great in her offspring and I'll do it as cheaply as possible.

I choose Seeking the Best ($6,500) by Seeking the Gold from the Same family as Sea Hero.  You inbreed to Glowing Tribute a great dam and I think you'll get a great horse.

Handride 11 May 2009 11:41 AM

Curlin. But, if Zenyatta ever had a son...

Fast Lady 11 May 2009 12:05 PM

In addition to taking into consideration the sire nicks, as set forth in the truenicks appraisal, my approach is to evaluate how the female families of the individuals within the first few generations of the pedigree interact. I utilize the modern conduit mare pedigree evaluation methodology to assess the female family impact, and have reached the conclusion that Kingmambo would be a very good choice based on all of the criteria stated above. A resulting foal should offer classic distance potential on most racing surfaces.

Bill

billfromwa 11 May 2009 12:31 PM

My choice for Rachel Alexandra is Elusive Quality.

The 1st criteria I looked at was for a medium sized stallion as Rachel Alexandra is a big filly.  Breed her to a tall stallion is likely to produce a horse too large to get out of their own way.

The 2nd criteria I used was to try and stay away from Northern Dancer (or have him further back) because she already has a sex balanced cross through Sadler's Wells and Wild Applause. Hero's Honor and Wild Applause are full siblings (Northern Dancer-Glowing Tribute, by Graustark). Elusive Quality does bring in a 3rd cross of Northern Dancer, but it is through Hero's Honor, a full sibling to Wild Applause.  This gives you a sex balanced 5x5 cross to the great mare Glowing Tribute. In addition to G1 winner Hero's Honor and G2 winner Wild Applause, Glowing Tribute produced Ky Derby winner Sea Hero, G2 winner Glowing Honor, SW Seattle Glow, Victoria Cross (dam of Mozart, England Expects), Coronation Cup (G3), and Mackie (G3).  Wild Applause, in addition to Roar,  produced Eastern Echo (G1), Blare of Trumpets (G3), Yell (G3), and Praise (dam of Flatter and Congrats).  You can't go wrong with this family.  Graustark, the sire of Glowing Tribute, is by Ribot, who also shows up in Rachel's pedigree in the 5th generation as the sire of the mare Social Position.

It is interesting just how the Northern Dancer crosses will appear. You also pick up Sir Ivor in the pedigree.  Sir Ivor is the sire of Elusive Quality's 2nd dam, Ivory Wand, who when mated to Northern Dancer's son Hero's Honor, produced Touch of Greatness.  When Sir Ivor's daughter Lady Capulet was bred to Northern Dancer's son Sadler's Wells, El Prado was the result.

It gets even more interesting with those crosses of Sir Ivor. Sir Ivor was sired by Sir Gaylord, a Turn-To son out of Somethingroyal, thus making Sir Gaylord a 1/2 brother to Secretariat. Secretariat is the broodmare sire of Elusive Quality's sire, Gone West. In addition, Rachel Alexandra's 3rd dam, Early Decision, is by Lord gaylord, a son of Sir Gaylord. It gives you crosses to Sir Gaylord of 5x6x6.  It also gives you crosses to Somethingroyal of 5x6x7x7.  Another interesting pattern to note is that Somethingroyal's dam, Imperatrice, appears as the dam of Speedwell, who is in rachel's 5th generation. Tom Fool also appears on both sides in the 5th generation of Elusive Quality and Rachel (sire of Tim Tam on top, and sire of Cap and bells on the bottom), so this potential foal is 6x6 sex balanced to Tom Fool as well.

Elusive Quality was a miler and bred speed over stamina.  He was proven capable as a classic sire with Smarty Jones.  Rachel is stamina over speed and proven herself as a classic horse with her win in the Oaks.  I believe the patterns above will lock in both the speed and stamina and give you a classic horse with speed and stamina. A plus is also the fact that the pedigree of both sides produced turf and dirt runners.  Synthetic should also be no problem.

TJ 11 May 2009 12:43 PM

My choice for Rachel Alexandra is Elusive Quality.

You also get another cross of Mr. Prospector as well through sons Gone West and Forty Niner.  The resulting foal would be a 3x5 cross.

TJ 11 May 2009 12:46 PM

I would have to recommend Giant's Causeway. He consistently sires very nice, versatile runners; he has sired a Grade 1 winner on dirt, turf, and synthetics. Additionally, he was an exceptional runner himself.

He won over distances of 6 to 10 furlongs, and he was a real fighter. In his six wins as a 3-year-old, three of them he won by a head, two by 3/4 of a length, and one by 1/2 a length. The four he finished second in (as a 3-year-old), only once was he beaten by more than half a length, including that memorable second place finish by a neck in the Breeder's Cup Classic in his only start on dirt.

In his pedigree, he would bring in Storm Cat, and through him Secretariat. On his dam's side you get Rahy (and the amazing Ballade), another sire of versatile runners. Also included in the fantastic package that is Giant's Causeway are at least three crosses to Nasrullah, two through his son Bold Ruler and one through Red God.

Plus, with his strange blaze as well, what would the baby look like? :)

Flynne 11 May 2009 12:51 PM

I am uneducated as to this thing, but I would say I want to see her to EMPIRE MAKER.

Gets the Mr. Prospector/Raise a Native/Native Dancer line on both sides of the babies family.  Would get Empire Maker's stamina into her speed.  Could make for a high cruising speed horse that could run all day.

You would also end up with the Unbridled line and the Mr Prospector line.  Each line has sired individual winners of each separate Triple Crown race.

Also I am REALLY intrigued by what turf and synthetic prospects they could produce.  Get Rachel's El Prado/Sadlers Wells influence with Empire Maker's Toussaud turf influence.  To me, they could produce something lights out on turf.  And in this day and age of the proliferation of synthetic tracks, and turf runners faring well often on those, I think their baby could take to synthetic.

And Empire Maker has shown some high potential with his early breeeding.  I think out of two crops he has sired at least 9 stakes winners.

I think Empire Maker and Rachel could produce something that would have speed, run all day, and run on basically any surface.

CRAFTON 11 May 2009 1:02 PM

MY PICK IS THE RECENTLY MOVED YONAGUSKA.

1 RA SEEMED TO BE SLOW IN MATURING. NOT THAT I AM TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM BOREL. BUT IT SEEMED AS THOUGH ONCE SHE WENT THROUGH A GROWTH SPURT AND DEVELOPED SOME MATURITY AT 2 THEN SHE STARTED TO WIN.  YONAGUSKA WON AT TWO, ALSO HE HAS A PREPOTENCY FOR SIRING JUVENILE WINNERS. MIXED WITH HER SLOW MATURING THE RESULTING FOAL WILL HAVE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING AT 2. NEEDED FOR BREEDERS CUP RACES AND SAPLING, KENTUCKY CUP JUV, THE HOPEFUL, ETC.

2 HE IS THE SIRE OF MUSKET MAN, PROVEN A GOOD RACE HORSE AT 3. MINE THAT BIRD'S DAM HAS A YONAGUSKA COLT.

3  RACHEL ALEXANDRA HAS AN OVERLOAD OF NORTHERN DANCER AND MR PROSPECTOR. I WOULD CAUTION AGAINST MORE CLOSE UP BLOOD, OR A LARGE STALLION THAT MIGHT CAUSE AN EVEN LATER MATURING FOAL. ALSO NORTHERN DANCER BLOOD DOES CONTAIN HIDDEN TURF. YONAGUSKA HAS RAISE A NATIVE BUT ALSO PRINEQUILLO THRU MISTY FLIGHT GETTING SILVER GHOST, I BELIEVE A LOST TREASURE.  THROW CHEROKEE RUN IN THE MIX THESE TEND TO GO WELL WIL THE STOP THE MUSIC LINE, WHICH IS IN THE DAM SIDE OF RACHEL ALEXANDRA.

4 STATE BRED INCENTIVES FOR LA BREDS. THE LOUISIAN DERBY AND OTHER RACES THAT REALLY CAN EARMARK A HORSE FOR GREATER EARNINGS AND AWARDS.

AMY ROONEY 11 May 2009 1:14 PM

Afleet Alex is where I would go .Horse for horse talent for talent that is who I would go to.I think Curlin was overrated so his offspring would have to be doing something on the track before I would consider using him.

miramartzu 11 May 2009 1:37 PM

If I owned Rachel ALexandra or was advising mr. Jackson on potential sires aside from Curlin.. My top choice would be Dynaformer.. This would push inbreeding to Northern Dancer back to the 5th generation of the foal, and would also in effect create a foal that could suit and be crossed with a variety of mares or stallions.. Plus its an A nick.. That would be my top choice..

Daniel 11 May 2009 2:00 PM

Another sire I would use would be Rahy, this is a tremendous nick an A+ the foal would definatly be able to go all over, run on dirt, synthetic, turf, run early or run late.. This also will give you a foal with no inbreeding besides Northern Dancer in the 5x5 spot on RA pedigree, so again your opening your options for mates on this foal..

Daniel 11 May 2009 2:04 PM

I would like to preface my comment by saying I think that Danehill Dancer at Coolmore in Ireland would be my overall preferred choice given the great success that the Danehill/ Sadler's Wells cross has shown.

However, since we are recommending North American Stallions I would like to recommend Tiznow.  Although the Truenicks does not have a rating on this cross, the "Successful Appeal" cross showing In Reality/ Saddler's Wells cross as an A++.  Tiznow has In Reality one generation further back, but has worked extremely well with Northern Dancer line Mares.  Colonel John (and Mr. Hot Stuff), Tizdejavu, Folklore, and Tiz Wonderful, were all bred with Northern Dancer showing up 3 times.

Although my name may show some bias, there are many results of successful horses bred to Tiznow with Northern Dancer already linebred twice.

Thanks,

• Editor's note:  Please do keep Danehill Dancer on your list -- the contest is open to stallion selections worldwide. ... As you indicated, the Tiznow hypothetical mating returns a score of "No Rating," indicating that the larger Relaunch/Sadler's Wells cross has not been tried often enough to establish a statistically valid rating.  Thanks for your comments.
TJLuvsTizs 11 May 2009 2:08 PM

My pick for sire is Sky Mesa.  This is a young sire who is going to prove to be more influential as time goes by.  Has the Bold Ruler influence with a booster touch of Northern Dancer from the sire:

5s x 5s Secretariat

4s x 5d Mr. Prospector

5s x 5d x 5d Northern Dancer

Soupy One 2001 11 May 2009 2:10 PM

I do not follow current Thoroughbred bloodlines so I can't comment as to the "nick" but instead look for traits and conformation as I do with my paint stallion who is a great grandson of Bold Ruler since Thoroughbred bloodlines are allowed in the paint horse industry.  Based on the look of her and my vision of the resultant foal, my pick is Smarty Jones.

hrseldy 11 May 2009 2:52 PM

My choice is Black Pocket. That little dude tore up CBY. Downs in his day.

joe 11 May 2009 3:14 PM

Curlin would not be my first choice when it came to stallions.  Sons of Smart Strike have not shown a thing a stud.  Also, Rachel and Curlin are bred along the same lines, just reversed.  I would not add anymore Mr. Prospector Blood closer than the 4th Generation, with one exception and that would be Lemon Drop Kid.   A.P.Indy, Quiet American, Street Cry, Tiznow, Bernardini, and even Stephan Got Even would suit her.  Rachel is long and tall and she should do well with these stallions.  I am not saying NEVER breed to Curlin, but let him get something on the track before you go to him.  Smart Strike already has 2 strikes against him as a sire of sires.  He looks to be a broodmare sire and if Curlin is a flop, you have not waisted a season to him. One last thing...DON'T be afraid to OUTCROSS with Rachel.  She looks to have stamina in reserve, so go with that.  Don't breed to anything that did not win multiple times at 1 1/8 miles or longer.  Thankfully....that rules out Unbridled's Song.  Best of Luck.

ROBERT 11 May 2009 3:19 PM

I would like to see Rachel bred to a Damascus-line sire such as Skip Away or Gilded Time.  Probably not that much commercial appeal there, but I don't think Jess Jackson would be breeding to sell.

Karren 11 May 2009 3:53 PM

I would have to say Afleet Alex or big brown

Chris Taylor 11 May 2009 4:01 PM

Smart strike or Ap indy in america, Henry the nav or montju in europe

2 time valley player of the year 11 May 2009 4:02 PM

Ithink Bernardini would Complement this mare perfectly ! He is big , scopey annd would be perfect , plus he adds  the Bold  Ruler and Nasrullah lines That RA doesnt really have alot of,My top two selections are Street Cry and Bernardini

Pedigree Shelly 11 May 2009 4:21 PM

The inbreeding and the nick with Gone West makes Elusive Quailty the choice if he had not owned Curlin

workhorse 11 May 2009 4:45 PM

I would have to say Big Brown.

First because he was a great racehorse. He had the guts and heart to get the job down along with speed and stamina. He also had a wonderful conformation.

Second he ran on both dirt and turf and won (where Curlin didn't win on the turf).

Third is his temperment. If it is passed down the foal would have an easy going tempermant. It would also be smart, as many have said Big Brown was on the track. Rachel Alexandra too has and easy going tempermant (or so I've heard.

Also the pedigree looks promising for the resulting foal. Big Brown would be the choice I advise although if it weren't him it would be Curlin.

Bound for Stardom 11 May 2009 4:46 PM

I feel Street Cry is the horse I would give the first shot to.  I think that with the sadler/street cry cross working well across the world that this nick will only produce many more great horses.

Dallas Moore 11 May 2009 4:56 PM

I think that a mating with Big Drama upon that one's retirement would be a very interesting match for the following reasons:

1) Derby winner-producing influence Buckaroo (Spend A Buck) would be within the 1st 3 generations of the progeny on BD's sireline which enhances Triple Crown potential.

2) Rasmussen factor in the progeny due to inbreeding to Cap And Bells (dam of Irish 1000 guineas winner Lady Capulet and grand dam of prominent sire El Prado) within the 1st 5 generations, top and bottom via Mobcap (dam of Notebook) on Big Drama's damline and Lady Capulet, on Rachel Alexandra's sireline.

3) Both BD and RA are Triple Crown and Stakes class horses with extraordinary speed and two-turn stamina.

4)In this hypothetical mating both the sire and dam of Big Drama bring a lot of old fashioned classic pedigree by way of multiple doses of Tom Fool and Buckpasser while Rachel Alexandra brings Northern Dancer 5x5 to their progeny.

This is a formula for a champion racehorse if the mating is repeated about three times, assuming physical/conformation compatibility.

Ranagulzion 11 May 2009 5:14 PM

I would breed Rachel Alexandra to Kingmambo. The cross of Kingmambo on horses related to Sadler's Wells has produced quite a few good ones, such as Henrythenavigator and El Condor Pasa, and True Nicks gives the breeding an A. I want to bring out the turf in her pedigree, and this breeding does that while giving the foal a good chance to succeed on dirt and synthetics as well -- Lemon Drop Kid, Kingmambo's son, who would also be a good match, won the Belmont and is the sire of both dirt and turf horses (Citronnade, Cosmonaut, Charitable Man). But Kingmambo himself won't be around too much longer, and I'd rather go to the sire while possible.

There's minimal linebreeding in the pedigree, just a bit to Mr. Prospector, and the foal would have many sound, durable horses, and horses that could go a distance while maintaining a high cruising speed, in its immediate family.

I think she'll probably produce well with Curlin also.

Kyri 11 May 2009 5:26 PM

Giant's Causeway, best young sire from Storm Cat who's already proven he can produce stakes winners.

The Phantom 11 May 2009 5:26 PM

Also,

I forgot to mention that breeding Rachel to Kingmambo would bring in a close line to Miesque. From one great mare, to another.

Kyri 11 May 2009 5:29 PM

Im new to this, so my answer will be short.

But i think Smart Srike is a  good cross. because Rachel has Mr prospector far back in her female pedigree.. ((4th gen) and Smark strike is sired by Mr p. this would bring the influence much more closer, Mr p would be the foals grandsire AND it's great-great-great-broodmaresire

do you have a report for Yes It's true? he seems to be a prettry decent sire

christina 11 May 2009 5:43 PM

The mass of comments about getting crosses with Northern Dancer and Mr. Prospector are what is wrong with the breed.  Rachel Alexandra has plenty of speed, plenty of size and so far outstanding endurance up to 1 1/8th miles.  The only logical choice is Mizzen Mast.  Soundness where the offspring can run for many years, endurance from many sources and the ability to handle any surface. I will take the Ribot, Tom Fool and Sir Gaylord crosses over the inbreeding that dominates the thoroughbred of today. All that Princequillo will be the topping on the cake.  Wake up America!

dave york 11 May 2009 5:57 PM

Giant's Causeway for all the reasons stated by Flynne above. And I like the cross of broodmare sire Roar thrown in the mix.

Tammy 11 May 2009 6:23 PM

Invincible Spirit would be the choice.  Since Mr Jackson will never need to pay for Rachel to be covered, he can choose any stallion, anywhere. The best stallion, in the world today, that combines mare improvement with class and has a A++ Nick to Rachel is Invincible Spirit.  In addition, he is more compact than virtually any of the other stallions mentioned and the foal would possess the 2.00/0.50 DI/CD, an excellent neutral dosage for a North American horse.  This would hopefully avoid the oversized offspring issue raised by many others.  Lastly, it would be a kick in the teeth for all the big international breeding operations for her to go to one of only two stallions standing in Ireland for more than 20K that doesn't belong to Coolmore, Darley or the Aga Khan.

American Dad 11 May 2009 6:38 PM

My first choice would be Kingmambo because of his extraordinary compatibility with mares from the Sadler's Wells branch of the Northern Dancer line.  That cross has produced international champion El Condor Pasa, and classic winners Divine Proportions, Henrythenavigator and Virginia Waters.  Those four, all from the same broodmare sire line, could probably be included among Kingmambo's dozen best performers to date.

sar130 11 May 2009 7:27 PM

The cross with Sky Mesa gets an A++. He has it all - Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Storm Cat, a Northern Dancer, but it would be far back. His progeny have been doing very well - RA may be running against 3 of them if she's in the Preakness. And if that doesn't appeal to Mr. Jackson, there's always Big Brown. :-)

Karen in Indiana 11 May 2009 7:45 PM

During an unforgettable trip to Ireland last year, I had the opportunity Dalakhani (Darshaan - Daltawa, by Miswaki) in person. He stand at Gilltown Stud. An Arc winner, Dalakhani line brings Mill Reef, Mr. Prospector, Caro, among others. Dalakhani's first dam produced Dalakhani, Daylami, Dalghar, and Daymarti. Dalakhani has sired Moonstone (Group one winner in Ireland), Conduit (2008 Breeders Cup Turf and St. Leger Stakes both group/grade ones). Dalakhani has nicked very well with Northern Dancer lined horses.

The other sensation I met at the Aga Khan was Azamour (Night Shift - Asmara, by Lear Fan). Azamour's first foals have yet to race, however Azamour won the Irish Champion, the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond, the St. James Palace, and the Prince of Wales stakes (all group one). Azamour's family includes Northern Dancer, Roberto, and Darshaan (sire of Dalakhani) who produced Azamour's second dam.

Another stallion who would suit Rachel would be Raven's Pass. He has the Elusive Quality influence as well as Lord At War and he brings Nasrullah as well.

From Giant's Causeway, Shamardal was amazing. Shamardal brings the Storm Cat and Rahy influence as well as Machiavellian through the mare Helsinki.

Those are some tops.

ZenyattaJunior 11 May 2009 8:50 PM

I would have to go to the Roberto line.  Several good choices (Arch, Dynaformer) but if you want one impressive specimen, book her to Rock Hard Ten.  Stride would be smooth as silk, pedigree runs all day long, and just PICTURE what progeny would look like...nothing wrong with huge, strong and fast.  Not to mention the RHT's are doing well at auction, especially for the stud fee.

brettzky99 11 May 2009 9:06 PM

I vote for Smarty Jones.

From Clive Harper (The Thoroughbred Breeder’s Handbook): “To my mind the perfect pedigree on paper has 4x4 to a full brother and sister, the sister being in the top half of the pedigree and having a son and the full brother being in the lower half and contributing a daughter. “

Smarty Jones over Rachel nearly does it for Mr. Harper.   The full siblings Hero’s Honor and Wild Applause appear here 4x4 via a daughter of the brother and a son of the sister.    Given his quote, Harper would prefer to see the siblings’ positions reversed, but what’s not to like about the way they fall here?

Also of interest in this mating is the 3x3 pairing of the genetic relatives Touch of Greatness and El Prado.  Those two are by sons of Northern Dancer and are from daughters of Sir Ivor.   Also of interest is the similarity in the pedigrees of their second dams.  Natashka has Mumtaz Begum/Sir Gallahad 3x3, while Cap and Bells has Mahmoud/Bull Dog 3x4.

russ f 11 May 2009 9:23 PM

Curlin is the only right choice of stallion.

Marie 11 May 2009 10:21 PM

I would recommend breeding Rachel Alexandra to Hard Spun.  He is a son of the great sire, Danzig, who is a son of the most influential sire of this century, Northern Dancer.  Danzig is also a sire of sires, including the late, great Danehill.

Hard Spun remained sound throughout a hard three-year-old campaign, probably due to his broodmare sire, Turkoman, who was a champion at 4.

I also like Hard Spun's affinity for synthetic surfaces, probably due to having Roberto, a champion in England and Ireland, in his pedigree.

Danzig passed his precociousness onto Hard Spun, who was undefeated at two.

Hard Spun hit the board in 11 of 13 races.  He had alot of heart and always put in a game effort.  Hard Spun was brilliant in the 7f King's Bishop but competitive at longer distances.  Few horses can successfully compete at such a range of distances.

The resulting foal would only have Northern Dancer inbreeding in the first five generations.  I feel that too much inbreeding has contributed to soundness problems in some thoroughbreds.

I might add that Hard Spun was striking as he came onto the track in post parades.  His muscles seemed to bulge in anticipation of the upcoming race.

CJC 11 May 2009 10:42 PM

Danzig passed his precociousness onto Hard Spun, who was undefeated at two.

CJC 11 May 2009 10:42 PM

I would breed RACHEL ALEXANDRA to any of the brilliant sons of SUNDAY SILENCE. Of the young horses who don't have runners yet, I would probably choose DEEP IMPACT, HEART'S CRY or ZENNO ROB ROY. Of the proven sons of SUNDAY SILENCE I would go with AGNES TACHYON or FUJI KISEKI. But DEEP IMPACT would be my favorite of the bunch.

Mike S 12 May 2009 12:40 AM

WAY TO MANY humans & Horses...PLEASE BREED MORE GELDINGS!!!...OUR MOTTO: WHACK EM & RACE EM!!!...LONG LIVE THE GELDING!!!...

Bellwether 12 May 2009 2:24 AM

Tiznow for sure.

da3hoss 12 May 2009 6:35 AM

I am going from temperament here.  With RA's even temperament, go with a stallion that did not have as even a one.  My brain came up with Fusaichi Pegasus.  The cross is also rated an A on truenicks.  When I figure out more I'll post.

A question for the moderators: How do I compare a mare with more than the stallions listed on this site?  I do not have an account here, I'm simply a college student/racing/pedigree fan that wants to get into the industry.  Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Heather

•  Editor:  Thanks, Heather.  The article contains links to two reports that identify crosses with high-end stallions worldwide, regardless of whether the stallions are subscribed to the TrueNicks service.  Additionally, you can run individual reports on any of the 350+ subscribed stallions (they stand from $1,000 to $300,000 fees!).  Finally, you're welcome to submit comments about a stallion based on other pedigree influences such as inbreeding, conformation, aptitude, Dosage, etc.
HLLIKINS 12 May 2009 7:49 AM

Bellwether:

Are you emplying that humans be wacked as well? Perhaps wackem should be applied to thin out the idiot gene pool.

Somethingroyal 12 May 2009 8:21 AM

Before you start talking about who to breed her to why don't you all wait until the end of the race season to see if she's still around.

Whatever 12 May 2009 8:35 AM

WAKE AT NOON

+ great burst of speed

+ sex balanced inbr. Cure the Bues

+ durable and tough runner

- fertility problems ?

SemparQuel 12 May 2009 8:47 AM

although I don't like breeding maiden mares to unproven stallions, as Jackson already ownes Curlin it would be logical and I believe a good match.  Elusive Quality would be my second choice,  we know what he can do

cargar 12 May 2009 9:01 AM

A.P. INDY   a proven stud. and he

has produced proven runners with

stamia and speed.. and his genes

are proven.. curlin is a great

horse but not a proven stud...

nmh 12 May 2009 9:30 AM

If she were my mare, and I was breeding to race her foal myself, I would breed to Skip Away. He made 9.6 million, he always came to the race ready to run, and he had great heart. What more can you ask for? There is no danger of overbreeding lines, just improving on what is there. They are both good size horses and should throw a nice foal with good feet and dense bone.

Michenka 12 May 2009 10:04 AM

Roses in May because he is durable and has staying power, and he's related to Halo. In his own right, Silver Charm; he has more grit and heart than almost any Thoroughbred racing today.

Roses in May 12 May 2009 10:26 AM

This is easy: RAHY.

There's no other choice.  You get the best carrier of the Blushing Groom line, with mitochondrial DNA that line has never seen before.

You breed her to Rahy and you get another Man o' War or Nearco.

Blushing Groom is the soundest of the big-name lines.  Someone really good internationally could also go up the line to the Red God line, or laterally to Arazi, to get the same benefit.

My choice is RAHY.

Ray Gordon 12 May 2009 10:29 AM

Cargar said:

"although I don't like breeding maiden mares to unproven stallions,......"

Two of the last three Kentucky Derby winners have come from their sires' first crops, and are their dams' first foals.

Street Sense (Street Cry x Bedazzled) & Mine That Bird (Birdstone x Mining My Own).

It's probably happened before, but unlikely twice in such a short time span.

Quite remarkable, I think!

Paseana 12 May 2009 11:24 AM

I would have to say it would be one of my 3 favorite son's of Sadler's Well, Montjeu, Galileo, or High Chapparal. All three horses are proven winners, they all have excelled on the turf, and with all of the poly track now in the US, breeding to one of these three would be ideal from a Pedigree standpoint. If you want the next Arc winner, breed her High Chaparal

Billy's Empire 12 May 2009 12:00 PM

I think Rachel Alexandra should be bred to Honour and Glory. He is a son of Relaunch and a straight male line to Man O' War. The nick rating are very high for the cross with the dam's side being a Northern Dancer/War Admiral cross. Very solid and sound racers on both sides of the pedigree, with very sound legs.

Terri Jackson 12 May 2009 12:31 PM

R.A. isn't the easiest mare to mate. I'd tend to go with a proven stallion, and avoid any close linebreeding. Her pedigee is good, but certainly not great, but she is a superior phenotype (bodes well for her genotype). Not one on which to risk much experimentation. So I'd give a weak nod to Dalakhani. Turf/?synthetic limitation though, a major concern. Believe he would appreciate her *Turn-Tos, and especially like the Mill Reef-Sadler' Wells "nick" (Lalun linebreeding) which has certainly worked (by design) for Dalakhani, and most of the tribe. It should be noted, though, that this "nick" hasn't appeared to fare as well with El Prado (? if sample is sufficient). The safest bet may be A. P. Indy, but feel Dalakhani could result in more "sky's the limit" (what it's really all about with a mare (R.A.) like this)....ALAN- just for fun, take a look at Dynever. From some of your previous observations about R.A., suspect you may find such a mating rather intriguing (just pedigree-wise; at least I could get them a season.)

sceptre 12 May 2009 12:49 PM

I would say breed her to A.P. Indy. Like people have said before, Rachel already has plenty of Native Dancer in her line, but no Seattle Slew or Secretariat which a.P. Indy would add. Also his foals have proven to be first class racehorses.

DarkTiger1991 12 May 2009 1:00 PM

Elusive Quality - because it gives

inbreeding to full siblings Hero's Honor and Wild Applause, both offspring of blue hen Glowing Tribute.

Pat R 12 May 2009 1:07 PM

Sceptre: It's probably not going to happen (unless Mr. Jackson imbibes a huge quantity of his product before signing on the dotted line), but Dynever would be very interesting.

Dalakhani would also be a strong candidate on pedigree, I wonder if a Mill Reef line horse could eventually break through here now we have all weather (almost have to be a Dalakhani son now).

Alan Porter 12 May 2009 1:29 PM

Bernardini suits RA very well.

AP Indy's son Golden Missel had success with an El Prado line mare, producing Cobalt Blue.

Bernardini returns and intensifies the best of RA. The resulting foal would have 20 lines of Nearco.  Nasrullah appears 11 times with two female strains to complement the 12 strains of his old friend Princequillo.

Bernardini returns Dr. Fager(twice), Mr. Prospector, Somethingroyal(twice) and Hail to Reason (twice).

When I look at what appears to have worked in Rachel Alexandra's pedigree, I see that Sadler's Wells is complimented by his 5/8ths equivalent Wild Applause.  Bernardini provides another 5/8ths equivalent to Sadler's Wells in Northern Fable substituting Hail to Reason for Lalun.

Bold Ruler loves Bold Ruler and Bernardini returns 3 strains to the two Rachel Alexandra has. The coefficient of inbreeding stays around 2% but the number of unique individuals in generation 9 is 44% indicating that these two outstanding horses have many deep linebreeding similarities. Almost every single quality individual in Rachel Alexandra's pedigree is returned by Bernardini.

Pat 12 May 2009 1:42 PM

Great posts TJ, Daniel, Ranagulzion, dave york, and American Dad.

I would breed Rachel to a sire with her identical body type - why change a great thing.  To do this you need to hire a company that has measured all of the sires.  email me at ryan@zabrowski.com if interested.

There is very little evidence of over imbreeding.  The most successful cross of ND and Mr. P produce 22 crosses of Saint Simon.  All of this commentary of too close and far back just may work in humans but thoroughbreds...I don't think so.

Ryan Zabrowski 12 May 2009 1:44 PM

Ok if we can go world wide I will have to to say I would go to Red Ramsom a proven sire. Ok he you think grass here but not always, and he is by Roberto out of a Damascus mare. I likr this cross

Tammy 12 May 2009 2:11 PM

OBV STREET CRY WOULD BE FIRST NO QUESTION ABOUT IT!

2-BERNARDINI

3-AP INDY

4-TIZNOW!

5-DYNAFORMER

fletch321 12 May 2009 3:50 PM

I like Ghostzapper/ creates a speed/stamina ballanced pedigree with Northern Dancer appearing far back 3 times and Mr. P also far back twice.

ArchDandy 12 May 2009 7:28 PM

I've no use for the prize in this contest so I'm going to break the rules so to speak, and toss out more than one stallion in this post just because I don't want to make multiple posts.

The family seems to have an affinity for Mr. Prospector blood, however, I personally don't like to see MP inbreeding unless it's through specific lines.  Street Cry, Kingmambo and Smart Strike would be the obvious choices (and I don't doubt her first foal will be from Curlin), however I would be more inclined to try a little different approach, head north to Canada and test her to Best Of The Bests.  I think I like the infusion of Darshaan and Little Hut to her more than the Troy Street Cry (or one of his sons) would bring to the mix.

There's no denying the Danzig (or, more accurately, Danehill)/Sadler's Wells cross and in a few years it might be worth taking a serious look at Hard Spun should he prove himself.  Until then, Langfuhr might be interesting.  If you really wanted to be aggressive and send her overseas, the only Danehill worth looking at is Redoute's Choice.

Now, if she were mine I'd want to think out of the box and send her to Indian Charlie.  While there is no nick for In Excess/Sadler's Wells (lack of measurable opportunity?), this is the cross responsible for Musical Chimes.  Additionally, Indian Charlie has 6 foals from the 1-o family.  All 6 have started, 5 of them winners including the stakes winners Why Tonto and Tampa course record holder Charlie Papa.

Sam 12 May 2009 8:55 PM

Another interesting candidate would be NOT FOR SALE. The rationale is a bit too long-winded to go into here. So, briefly, note that his three best runners have some important elements in common with R.A.'s pedigree, and that R.A's double Tom Fool (albeit distant) and Glowing Tribute are reasonable substitutions for the great Buckpasser-one who did, and would appear to work so perfectly with Not For Sale. Take a close look (actually, one need not look that closely) at Asiatic Boy's pedigree. From a pedigree perpective, is not his dam and sire made for each other? Haven't seen many crosses better than this (Asiatic Boy). Will admit that R.A.'s pedigree is not as good a fit as Not For Sale's three best runners, but it's close enough (and No Robbery may be a reasonable substitute for Never Bend here), and Not For Sale is an extremely good stallion. What might he do with top mares? This stallion belongs in the U.S. He is likely the best source for Swaps, and it was a sin that we lost Laramie Trail (became proven stallion, great pedigree-now quite uncommon in U. S.). Yes, this is also a pitch to bring here Not For Sale. How well we could utilize his "brand" of Hyperion-Selene, and War Admiral. Those with Buckpasser await him.

sceptre 12 May 2009 9:37 PM

Are you kidding? I can't wait to see the foal produced by the Curlin / Rachel mating! I realize in theory that other stallions might be a better match, but you never know until they hit the track. Secretariat's full sister the Bride never earned a cent while he turned out to be the greatest horse that ever lived. I also think that sons of Sunday Silence would make for amazingly talented progeny. We'll just have to wait and see. That's what makes this sport so awesome!

ruffian316 12 May 2009 10:05 PM

indian charlie

thies27 12 May 2009 10:09 PM

I say take a chance with Monsun. He offers a toughness and outcross not available here in the states. As far as top American sires I like Street Cry and Tiznow. Don't hold my breath possibilities would be Macho Again and Chapel Royal.

Chris 12 May 2009 11:32 PM

I think Mr. Jackson has it right with Curlin.  He had an outstanding race career over two years and was never sick or lame a day during that time.  He won races from 7f to 1 1/4 miles and only lost at 1 1/2 m by a head so stamina is no issue.  I can find nothing to fault in his conformation and I would think he could improve on a mares conformation.  When crossed with RA produces a decent True Nick A.  His sire has produced G1 wnrs on all surfaces at distances ranging from 6f to 1 1/2.  The inbreeding isn't much mosty in the 5 gen. Mr. Prospects, Northern Dancer and Sir Ivor.  Breed the Best to the Best and hope for the best.

hardlyhatful 12 May 2009 11:34 PM

Outside of Curlin,  Dynaformer would be a good choice as you get no Mr Prospector/Northern Dancer.  He was a very sound horse racing 30 times setting or equaling 3 track records on both dirt and turf up to 12f so stamina isn't an issue. True Nick rating A isn't bad.  Outstanding produce record of 14 G1w, 99 Sw, 13 Millionars on both turf and dirt, and broomare sire of 50 sw 44% wnrs.

hardlyhatful 12 May 2009 11:55 PM

Somethingroyal...whack em all as the planet is WAY WAY over crowded...  TRY TAKING TURNS COMMING HEAR???...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!...

Bellwether 13 May 2009 12:00 AM

Well, I said Empire Maker ... but like I said I don't know enough about it (as I can see from reading all these posts).  I can see where that might be the type of inbreeding that is undesirable (for whoever said it).

I actually LOVE the suggestions of Sunday Silence progeny (but he was my favorite horse of all time).

I also love the Kingmambo suggestions.

CRAFTON 13 May 2009 2:41 AM

I think the Rachel/Curlin mating would be good and it nicks well at a "A".

The highest nick I've found in a short time is Street Cry at an A++.

However, I'm going out on a limb with Hard Spun, a new stallion, also nicking in at an A. Danzig was too good with too many for too long. He gives speed into the Medaglia d'Or/El Prado/Sadler's Wells classic distance line.

I'm betting that Hard Spun will turn out to be the real deal.

Jim P 13 May 2009 2:46 AM

I agree with CJC and Sam. Hard Spun is my choice. The El Prado cross with both Alydar and Roberto cannot be overlooked. He was very sound and earned almost $2.7 million. I'd also look at Corinthian.

MARK D. 13 May 2009 12:04 PM

I did my homework, and found the dosage profiles on the 2       stallions I've chosen.                                                              Bernardini/w RA

D.P.  2 6 9 1 0

D.I. 2.77

CD  + 0.50

Inbreeding

Mr. Prospector  5S x 5D

Northern Dancer  5S x 5D x 5D

Street Cry w/RA

D.P. 5 1 5 1 0

D.I. 2.43

CD   + 0.83

Inbreeding

Mr. Prospector 3Sx5D

Northern Dancer 5Dx5D

Personally, I like Bernardini due to the fact that RA lacks any Bold Ruler or Nasrullah blood.

Pedigree Shelly 13 May 2009 12:35 PM

Here's my opinion on mating Rachel Alexandra ..... this mating in MY opinion would compliment and strengthen Rachel's present pedigree .....

Doneraile Court

If you take a look at Rachel's linebreeding as it is now compared to this suggested mating, you will see it gets stronger if mated to Doneraile Court !!!

UCLinden 13 May 2009 12:47 PM

I would have to say Dynaformer. He has the endurance to run all day. I own a grandson of Dynaformer and I can see the endurance. Per profile numbers 19 in the 3rd set......could be another Barbaro.

DOSAGE PROFILE = 3-2-19-1-1

DOSAGE INDEX = 1.26

CENTER OF DISTRIBUTION = 0.19

Jim 13 May 2009 7:48 PM

I think Dalakhani would be a great choice. First of all, the mighty grey was an exceptional racehorse and a 3/4 brother to an exceptional racehorse (Daylami).

Secondly, in his short career Dalakhani has shown a real affinity with Sadler’s Wells line mares, Conduit is a prominent example, and when his sire Darshaan and Sadler's Wells combined it was genetic dynamite!

I think this is due in no small way to the double injection of Lalun that the Mill Reef/ Sadler's Wells cross brings into play. Mill Reef is by Never Bend, while Sadler's Wells is out of a Bold Reason mare. Bold Reason and Never Bend are half brothers.

Another factor is Miswaki, not only does the Dalakhani/ Rachel Alexandra cross result in two crosses of Mr Prospector through Miswaki and Roar - But Miswaki is the broodmare sire of Galileo and Black Sam Bellamy... by Sadler's Wells!

Dalakhani's pedigree is free of Northern Dancer so there is no excessive inbreeding to the diminutive Canadian (when taking into account Rachel Alexandra's two existing crosses)

Dalakhani is also an exceptionally refined individual and his yearlings sell like hot cakes in the old world.

Finally in terms of one upmanship, Zarkava went to Dalakhani last year and she's the only female of the species who could live with Rachel!

wallinga 14 May 2009 1:23 AM

Brood mare - Rachel alexandra.

Sire - Medglia D'oro

He is only briliant dirt racehorse ,among sons of Elprodo .he have achived grade 1 winner through 3 yo ,4 yo , 5  yo and he has wonderful natural speed and stamina quality for classic distance. he had have Traverse(G1 10F),Jim dandy (G2 9F),Don H.(G1 9F).etc.he has good confirmation and durability , prominent speed gene for dirt racing .

Dam:Lotta kim - By Roar,She's stakes winner (Tiffany Lass.S.),she have produced Rachel alexandra (2006) ,Empire ruler who is mated by Empire maker.she will be good broodmare .

Inbreeding: Rachel alexandra.4sX4d Northern dancer ,5s X 5d Sir gaylord.

Recommendations:

1.Lemon drop kid ,2.Street sense,3.Tiznow ,4.Bernardini ,5.Curlin ,6.Smart strike , 7.Anygiven saturday.

Recommendation:

Lemon drop kid: Although Kingmambo could'nt have produced good dirt horse ,Lemon drop kid has proven his performance on the conservative dirt track .he was champhion older horse and classic horse .he's stud fee $ 50000 this year .he has produced all type track racehorse ,Cosmonaut ,Citronade ,Chrismas kid turf grade winner and Lemons forever ,Charitable man dirt grade winner .etc. Lemon drop kid's sire line Kingmambo and Rachel alexandra sire root are good nicking samples such like Alcondro pasa ,Divine propotion,Henry the navigator.Prospector and  seattle slew X nothern dancer cross was proven pattern for good breeding .Lemon drop kid X Rachel alexandra breeding pattern has 3s X 5d Prospector ,5d x 5s x 5d Northern dancer ,5 s x 6d Special ,6d x 5s x 6d Sir gayloard inbreeding,line breeding cross type.Lemon drop kid has sire all Prince quillo mare line from sire and dam root as like Rachel alexandra's sire line.May be positive gene factor to  produce good racehorse .

Jerry Kwon 14 May 2009 2:27 AM

The perfect stallion for Rachel Alexandra would be Horse of the Year and Champion, Ghostzapper. You would be inbreeding 5x5x5 to Northern Dancer and 5x5 to Mr.Prospector,but the rest of the first five generations would be clean. In the second generation you would have young and prolific sires Medaglia D'oro and Awesome Again, third generation, El Prado, Deputy Minister,and Relaunch, fourth generation Sadlers Wells, Forty Niner, Vice Regent, Blushing Groom, In Reality, and Tri Jet, fifth generation three doses of Northern Dancer and two of Mr Prospector, Sir Ivor, Damascus, Stop The Music, and Lord Gaylord. The tail female line on Ghostzapper would start with 2005 Broodmare of the Year Baby Zip, producer of not only Ghostzapper but proven young sire City Zip. Baby Zip's dam is multiple stakes winner and multiple stakes producer Thirty Zip. Her dam is Sailaway who is the granddam of Kentucky Derby winner Lil E. Tee. With the total pedigree power of all those influences along with the attributes within Rachel Alexandra, a new champion would be born.

Mr Punter 14 May 2009 8:26 PM

The never-gonna-happen-but-wouldn't-it-be-cool horse?

Al Mufti, in South Africa.  He gets solid, classy runners, is from one of the best families in the stud book, and his dam Weekend Surprise provides interesting cluster breeding to Tom Fool and Sir Gaylord.

The more likely option?

Street Cry.  Hands down.

He gets runners just about everywhere, and as he is free of Northern Dancer, adding ND to his female strain of Almamhoud is proving to be explosive.  The foal should be able to run on any surface.

Of the European horses, either Red Ransom or Dalakhani.

Slinky 15 May 2009 6:03 AM

Slightly different spin from Downunder . . .  if she was to venture to the SH, (there's more chance of me getting on the next space shuttle, but anyway . . .) best options here would be:

*Redoute's Choice (Danehill)

*Encosta De Lago (Fairy King)

both of these horses breed fast, forward youngsters who figure as two and three year olds.

The other likely option here would be Hussonet - some of you here may remember him

Outside of Oz, I like Kingmambo (goes without saying)

Giant's Causeway (record speaks for itself and breeding should work well)

A P Indy as a backstop.

Aphra 16 May 2009 9:25 AM

Rachel Alexandra has a very symmetrical pedigree, clearly El Prado and Cure the Blues are the dominant sires and both enjoy strong cross pedigree support.

Cure the Blues has good support from Silent Screen, Sir Ivor and Damascus on the sire side, while El Prado has strong support from Lord Gaylord, Stop the Music and Forty Niner on the dam side, with the double cross to Northern Dancer being a further bonus.

In any proposed breeding scenario it would definitely be ideal if this symmetry could be continued and therefore build on the inherent strength within the pedigree.

As a racehorse Rachel Alexandra has reasonable speed but strong stamina, unfortunately as a broodmare she carries only minimal speed and reasonable stamina forward to her progeny, and this significantly limits the number of appropriate sires that have the potential to produce both a high performance race filly or colt, if Mr Jackson has a preference for either a filly or colt it will probably required the use of two different sires to achieve the optimal result.

I therefore recommend the following

For a filly or colt: Birdstone

For a colt: A.P. Indy

For a filly: Montjeu

Aussie Racer 17 May 2009 4:00 AM

The overriding question that needs to be answered.  Should RA be inbred to Mr. P and Northern Dancer or would an outcross be more likely to produce an outstanding race horse that is sound?

This needs to be addressed in some length.

My vote is for the outcross!

dave york 17 May 2009 7:49 AM

Barbaro lives on.....breed her to Dynaformer

Doctor Jazz 17 May 2009 9:48 AM

If she were mine, I think I'd send her to one of the German stallions that have been doing so well lately.  Most of them are truly complete outcrosses, and they would bring blood back the US that we don't have now.  This would be with the idea of generational breeding--you not only plan for this foal, but for the next generation as well.

So for me it would be:

1) Monsun because he is such a well tested sire.

2) Manduro, based on the True Nicks rating

3) Shirocco

The United States needs to bring back those genes in our breeding programs.  Then maybe we'd get more classic distance races written instead of all these almost QHish sprints at 4.5 furlongs.

vineyridge 17 May 2009 2:36 PM

I think that Barbaro would have been a great mate for her. But gernal got my vote to do his thang and they would have a great baby. gernal has the right everything

Angela Porcelli 17 May 2009 2:39 PM

i think mind that bird would be a good choice also

Angela Porcelli 17 May 2009 2:40 PM

For the contest:

Monsun.  Total outcross and proven sire.  He's proved with Shirocco and Manduro that he can produce well with Northern Dancer mares.  A colt from this mating who could run would bring back sirelines that are dead in the United States.

vineyridge 17 May 2009 2:58 PM

Manduro

A++ True Nick Rating.  Great race horse.  Would bring the outcross blood of Monsun and a double to Dschingis Khan which would pick up the Blandford/Swynford lines through some really, really great mares like Almahmoud, Special, Lavendula, Mah Mahal, Sun Princess and her dam, Mumtaz Begum, and add Feola, Sansonnet, Anna Bolena, Rare Perfume, Aurora et al.

Rachel Alexandra needs those great mares, since her tail female line is not particularly distinguished.  If one uses "Breeding Race Horses from Cluster Mares", Manduro would be an excellent choice for her.

vineyridge 17 May 2009 3:41 PM

Shirocco

Monsun over a Northern Dancer mare.  Top quality race horse.  The foal would be Northern Dancer 4sx5dx5d, which is just about the same linebreeding pattern that created Nearco from St. Simon.  Once again, the Monsun sire line is back to Blandford/Swynford, which would bring that blood back to the United States for generational breeding.

That match would also add a huge number of cluster and star mares to the pedigree.

vineyridge 17 May 2009 3:52 PM

Without going into too much detail,my choice for Rachel A is Holy Roman Emperor, a dual Group 1 winning son of Danehill with a totally American family, would be worth a shot. Danehill loves Sadler's Wells and Northern Dancer loves Mr Prospector,throw in Secretariat,Buckpasser and His Majesty and I'm sure you'd be on the money,and from a great female family.   Rock Of Gibralter is another son of Danehill worth a chance, its about time the US picked up on the benefits of Danehill like the rest of the world.

Murray 18 May 2009 5:55 AM

How about Street Cry? I did the hypothetical and it got an A++ nick.

Kathy 18 May 2009 9:52 AM

Add more Lavendula and Djeddah!

Federico T. 20 May 2009 12:17 AM

Anabaa

Adds more Lavendula through Turn To and My Babu and more Lalun through Never Bend.

Romo 20 May 2009 12:27 AM

A young sire that has yet to have a crop hit the race track that I would wait a year or two to see what he is producing is Dylan Thomas.  I stated earlier that I thought Danehill Dancer would be my preference, as he has been a proven stallion with the Sadler's Wells cross, however Dylan Thomas Dam is out of a future Chef-de-race in Diesis.  His dam side is a complete out-cross for RA to limit the in-breeding.

The Danehill cross will definitely bring out the turf in RA, but the horses from Europe did a great job in the Breeders Cup in Jess jackson's home state of California.  The polytracks are showing that a turf background has translated well, and what better Turf cross than Danehill/ Saddler's Wells?

Let Dylan Thomas prove his first two crops, and if he passes his genes on half as well as Danehill Dancer, he will still produce some classic grade/ group 1 horses.

TJLuvsTizs 20 May 2009 12:38 PM

I would submit Distorted Humor as a stallion for Rachel Alexandra. Since his blood crosses well with the El Prado line mares. Not only will it be doubling on Forty Niner but it will also bring the Danzig line of Northern Dancer to that of Saddler's Well also.

Nelson 20 May 2009 3:55 PM

I would chose Harlan's Holiday based on his conformation which is mid sized for a stallion. While Rachel Alexandra is big for a filly. Which would hopefully give you a well balanced foal that isnt to large. Harlan's Holiday has proven that he can run and has the endurance to go distance and he has proven offspring already on the track.

Khorseluver 21 May 2009 5:07 PM

I would have to say Monarchos.

With his first 2 Stake Winners he has proven he produces best when crossed with mares of similar breeding to him. Rachel Alexandra is Northern Dancer top and bottom, Hail To Reason thru her dam, & Top Fool thru her sire. So While the foal won't be line bred, It will be the cross that has proven Monarchos as a producing sire.

Plus you can never go wrong when using the Mario's Mon/Dixieland Band lines.

Jessy 21 May 2009 6:48 PM

I also like the Storm Cat line for RA. However my 1st choice would be Tale of the Cat, then Giant's Causeway. That would bring in Northern Dancer but at least a couple of foals from this cross would be very interesting. Leaving out ND, choice would be A.P.Indy

sweet terchi 23 May 2009 11:44 PM

A good x might also be with Unbridle's Song.

sweet terchi 24 May 2009 7:59 PM

I would also like to suggest that people look at Afleet Alex as he is a proven stallion. That has a pedigree that should cross well with Rachel Alexandra's. Both of them have proven that they can run. With this cross you would have Bold Ruler, Mr.Prospector, Native Dancer, and Northern Dancer in the cross between the two of them.

Khorseluver 24 May 2009 9:33 PM

I have no need for the prize, so I'll just throw out what stallions I think would cross well with Rachel Alexandra.

I am extremely biased in that I would probably try and get every great mare to Tiznow, but I would look outside the States first and foremost. Jackson isn't afraid, and we have synthetic tracks now, so it would be good to go with outstanding long-winded and sound turfers. I'd go with a Sunday Silence son (preferably without any ND blood) or Monsun. Sunday Silence and Monsun have done extremely well when crossed over with Northern Dancer-line mares, and we could do with more good Halo blood, plus Monsun would be a true outcross.

Monsun first. I've been waiting for one of his get to come here, and I'd love to see how well they'll do on synthetics and dirt.

Justine 27 May 2009 3:29 PM

I like the darley stallions of street cry bernardini and elusive quality. but i also think roman ruler would be a good fit he was extremely fast and could route and i think is a good fit

gman3293 31 May 2009 7:51 PM

Grand Slam (A++) is a great match with Rachel Alexandra. He is a well bred cross of Northern Dancer and Mr. Prospector!

Glenn Culver 10 Jun 2009 5:39 PM

In my opinion I'd be looking for German lines to match up with Rachel, leading away from the Nothern Dancer and Mr. Prospector lines and adding in Stamina and Speed.  Monsun was my top choice, I also liked Manduro and Sternkoenig.  If still interested in the Nothern Dancer lines I found Samum and Areion.

I personally think its time to spread out and look for fresh lines and rethink our Thoroughbreds.

LostRacer 19 Jun 2009 4:02 PM

It might have taken a while for Sadler's Wells to hit his stride as a sire of sires, but he's been making up for lost time at a tremendous rate -- as evidenced this weekend when his line dominated group and grade I racing.

TrueNicks 30 Jun 2009 2:32 PM

Curlin (A) isn't a bad choice (the doubling on Sir Ivor is interesting).  I like seeing very intersting inbreeding, or none at all.  Kingmambo (A) or Mr. Greely (B+) would be good for bringing up Mr. Prospector if you're into that sort of thing (not all that exciting).

A match with Discreet Cat (A) would double up on Damascus and Northern Dancer, but no Mr. Prospector.

A match with Red Giant (A) or Pomeroy (B) would include inbreeding to Northern Dancer, Mr. Prospector, and Damascus.

A match with Smarty Jones (B) or his sire Elusive Quality (B+) would have inbreeding to Mr. Prospector, Northern Dancer, the mare Glowing Tribute and Sir Ivor (love seeing a doubling up of a female line).

Friends Lake (A++), Alphabet Soup (A) or Mizzen Mast (A), and Swain (A++) would be interesting outcrosses that eliminate Mr. P and Northern Dancer.

And lastly just because I think the foal might just be amazing based on his pure talent and hers, Midnight Lute (no rating) puts the Mr. Prospector inbreeding way back in the 5th tier.

Of these I'd first go to Elusive Quality for her first season, then risk a season each on Curlin and Midnight Lute, then Swain, Alphabet Soup or Mizzen Mast (for an outcross), then either Discreet Cat and Kingmambo eventually. I wouldn't keep her solid to one stallion every year unless she produces a champion quickly from any of these.

Rachel Satterfield 13 Jul 2009 3:50 PM

I think Afleet Alex would be the one for her!  Who can forget his performances in 2005.  His Preakness run shows real heart and athleticism.

Debby 02 Aug 2009 7:07 PM

Classic-winning filly Rachel Alexandra gave the boys a lesson this weekend in the Haskell. Because of her latest accomplishment we're going to extend our request for readers' choices for Rachel's best breeding match.

TrueNicks 03 Aug 2009 12:15 PM

My suggestion is Lemon Drop Kid.  I like the cross of Kingmambo with the Sadler's Wells line, and I also think this should be a good physical match.  Further, Lemon Drop Kid is an proven stallion (which I always favor), with offspring that can go a classic distance.

Jon 03 Aug 2009 4:38 PM

Rock Hard Ten is big, fast, powerful and beautiful.  What stunning foals they would have.  He has Mr. Prospector in his pedigree as Kris S. and the mare Tersa.

My second choice is Empire Maker for his pedigree and stamina.

Third choice is Hard Spun.  Fast and tough.

Good idea too, the Sunday Silence line.  My favorite horse for all time.

Koehn38 03 Aug 2009 6:33 PM

Tiznow is the way to go!  Actually his sire Cees Tizzy would be great1

Wilma 03 Aug 2009 9:34 PM

I would breed Rachel Alexandra to Any Given Saturday. He stands at Darley for $30,000 and True Nicks rate the cross A++. I’d believe it because the same cross has produced GI winner Bit Of Whimsy, as well as stakes winners Parade Clown and Cocktail Attire.

Nakayama 03 Aug 2009 9:57 PM

I think Tiznow would be a great Match for Rachel Alexandra because he can get a "big" horse who performs well consistently year after year. He's stamina oriented as is Rachel Alexandra and he was one of the most consistent horses during his racing years just like she is. Not only that his foals perform very well on any surface and at many distances so I like to think they would compliment each other well and any foals they have would do both of them proud.

KMAUER 03 Aug 2009 10:22 PM

I have three suggestions.

1) A P Indy - a proven sire of high class racehorses and of high class stallions and brodmares.

2)Pulpit - who is rapidly following in his sire's footsteps.

3) Tapit - again he is a chip off the old block!

All three are outstandingly good looking individuals, with size, scope and quality.

I love Bernadini too but until he has runners it is a guessing game! I am confident he will do well given his looks and pedigree but for a first foal it is best to send a mare to a proven Stallion.  With older mares it is different.

Best wishes to Rachel Alexandra and thanks for the joy you bring us!

All the best to all on this site.

All are very interesting comments and suggestions.

God Bless

Abbie

Abbie Knowles 04 Aug 2009 6:29 AM

I think Birdstone would be a good choice for Rachel. He gets some good foals.

Smarie 04 Aug 2009 10:51 AM

I would recommend Smart Strike or Elusive Quality.  Smart Strike would get more of a stayer and Elusive Quality would produce more of a pure miler type, hopefully another Smarty Jones.

Anthony Kelzenberg 04 Aug 2009 12:07 PM

(In no particular order) I'd suggest Galileo in Europe, or in the USA Street Sense, Powerscourt, Bluegrass Cat or Bandini. As a back-up, you might want to consider inbreeding to grandsire El Prado.

Johnny Vegas 04 Aug 2009 1:45 PM

It's really no contest. She should be bred to Distorted Humor - A++ on the TrueNicks Mating System.

David Cowl 04 Aug 2009 5:49 PM

I vote for Giant's Causeway and Smarty Jones.

Sarah 04 Aug 2009 8:31 PM

My pick is Discreet Cat! Like Rachel, he had a very high cruising speed and could finish. He's big and well proportioned. There are crosses to Northern Dancer, Dr. Fager, Damascus and Ribot (through His Majesty, Graustark and Tom Rolfe). Also, there are many crosses to La Troienne along with Somethingroyal - through Secretariat and Sir Gaylord. Could be an explosive mating!

David R 05 Aug 2009 12:40 AM

My choice for Rachel Alexandra is Kingmambo.

My second choice would be Henrythenavigator.

Just look at how either of these stallions cross with the Sadler's Wells line. The choice should be obvious with all the stakes winners and especially G1 winners it has produced.

Jim McMillan 05 Aug 2009 3:20 AM

MONSUN

German Worldclass Stallion, sired Manduro who was ranked #1 in the World Thoroughbred Racehorse Rankings for 2007 and many other graded stakes winners

- ridiciulous fee by American Standards

- completely free of Northern Dancer and Mr. Prospector, ideal outcross

- German breeding makes tough horses (no drugs at all allowed at the racetrack) and stayers

Adjua 05 Aug 2009 7:01 AM

Love to see her with Tiznow or A.P. Indy, Slew's 2 best sires.  Street Cry is a good choice as well.  Her low running style and full stretch would make a great turf horse if bred with Dynaformer.

Heather 05 Aug 2009 10:42 AM

Why not Dynaformer?  He has beautiful offspring.

DaisyMae 05 Aug 2009 3:43 PM

Rachel Alexandra offers so many options that are intriguing. One that particularly stands out to me is Dalakhani. The results of the Darshaan line with Sadler's Wells are exceptional. Going back to Mill Reef over all that ND! You gotta love that. Imagine the monster! The horse would probably have fireballs shooting from its nostrils!

On the other hand for various reasons that may not be appealing to many breeders. Street Cry certainly is an excellent option, as well as many others. I love the idea of a Raise A Native over Northern Dancer line sire being sent to her though which means Fusaichi Pegasus really pops out at me. Then I realize that although that seems to make a great deal of sense it probably doesn't have the appeal we are looking for yet again. Then I realize nothing makes more sense than Kingmambo who also is a Raise a Native over Northern Dancer line sire! I got to go with Kingmambo just edging out Fusaichi Pegasus and Dalakhani. Being that the Fu is  Mr. P. over Danzig though is very interesting. All four would be amazing choices.

lebowski00 05 Aug 2009 6:39 PM

HYPOTHETICAL MATING

Corinthian – Rachel Alexandra by Medaglia d’Oro

• ***OPTIMAL Mating***

• Excellent Combination of Female Families

• Excellent Linebreeding Balance

• Excellent Outcross

• Excellent Gender Balance

• Excellent physical-to-physical cross

• 4x5 Mr. Prospector – through a daughter and a son (gender balanced)

o Preach – dam of Pulpit

o Forty Niner – dam of Roar

• 6x5,5 Northern Dancer – through two sons and a daughter (gender balanced)

o Nijinsky II – sire of 3rd dam of Corinthian

o Sadler’s Wells – sire of El Prado (Ire)

o Wild Applause – dam of Roar

• 5,5x6 Raise A Native – through two sons

o Mr. Prospector – broodmare sire of Pulpit and sire of Forty Niner

o Alydar – sire of Easy Goer

• 5x6 Special – through two daughters

o Number – 3rd dam of Corinthian

o Fairy Bridge – dam of Sadler’s Wells

• 6x6 Tom Fool – through a son and daughter (gender balanced)

o Buckpasser – broodmare sire of Easy Goer

o Cap And Bells – 2nd dam of El Prado (Ire)

• Similar breedings of Alydar and Mr. Prospector through common ancestors

o Raise A Native, Nasrullah

• Similar breedings of Biscayne Missy and Preach through common ancestors

o Bold Ruler, Princequillo, Raise A Native

• Similar breedings of Bold Reasoning and Cure The Blues through common ancestors

o Bold Ruler, Hail To Reason

o 3 stakes winners (1 Graded/Group) including

 Terrain (Sky Mesa o/o Forty Niner mare) – Grade 3 stakes winner of over $512k

• 4x3 Mr. Prospector

• 5,6x4 Raise A Native

• Superior runners produced by combining Nijinsky II over Sadler’s Wells

o 39 stakes winners (22 Graded/Group) including

 Passage of Time (GB) (Dansili (GB) o/o Sadler’s Wells mare) – Group 1 stakes winner in France, Group 3 stakes winner in England and Grade 1 stakes placed in USA

• 4,6x3 Northern Dancer

• Superior runners produced by combining Alydar over Mr. Prospector

o 65 stakes winners (28 Graded/Group) including

 Brother Derek (Benchmark o/o Siyah Kalem mare) – Multiple Grade 1 stakes winner of $1,611,138

• 3x4 Raise A Native

• Superior runners produced by combining Buckpasser over Cap and Bells

o 46 stakes winners (19 Graded/Group) including

 Charismatic (Summer Squall o/o Drone mare) – Multiple Grade 1 stakes winner of $2,038,064

• 5x4 Tom Fool

• “A+” TrueNicks rating based on A.P. Indy / El Prado (Ire) cross

• “A+” Werk Nick rating based on A.P. Indy / El Prado (Ire) cross

OPTI-Mate 06 Aug 2009 10:39 AM

How about Danehill Dancer?

What a combo!

Marjii 06 Aug 2009 7:07 PM

greetings alan. how about green desert and his sons,cape cross aand kheleyf? green desert is similarly bred to el prado,both carry the northern dancer/sir ivor cross in parallel fashion. i particularly like keleyf. in addition to the above, you get a northern dancer dancer/mr.p reverse parallel via kheleyf/roar(3f x 5m mr.p, 4m,5f x 5m,5f).just a thought.best regards.

jose y.quiros 07 Aug 2009 12:18 AM

Grand Slam. He has a AA+ rating.  He is a little short and stocky in the neck but his ratings are high to cross with RA.  She appears to be fine enough to improve him in this area.

Since I've not seen a good conformation shot of RA - can't really tell what she could use in terms of conformation.

Pam 07 Aug 2009 4:07 AM

Indian Charlie - not a pretty stallion but then pretty doesn't get it across the line either! He gets an A++ from True Nicks with a variant of 60.04.

Again - she is fine enough to improve just about anyone. Again not having seen a conformation shot of her - can't tell what she could use more of.

Pam 07 Aug 2009 4:10 AM

I submitted 2 choices on their own but I had a couple of others I thought would be worth a look.

All have A or A++ ratings with high variants - all are really nice looking studs with pretty decent conformation.  It would just depend on what areas she could use improvement in and consideration of what type of speed they have to compliment her.

Giants Causeway

Northern Afleet

Tale of the Cat

Not for Love

Valid Expectations A++

Outflanker

Pam 07 Aug 2009 4:19 AM

In following Jess jackson and the decisions he makes, he'll consistently take reasonable risks.  Given Curlin is the best current example we have of the Iron Horse, and given Jackson's desire to breed for strength and durability and greatness, I don't think he'll go elsewhere for Rachel Alexandra....even though Curlin is unproven at this point.  The DNA is one thing, the environment quite another.  Can anyone direct me to a book that looks at what conditions the mare lives in during gestation, how she is treated and cared for, how easy or difficult the delivery is, how she mothers....and how that relates to the foals and their racing?  I would really like to know more about this side of it.  Thanks.

WWSTP 07 Aug 2009 12:52 PM

After watching the New York Select Yearling sale I came away thinking about how well a Rachel Alexandra/ Bernardini horse would sell.  Obviously the point of this blog is to help Mr. Jackson find a stallion to help create his "superhorse".  Even though we have nothing but pictures and stories to judge his offspring, this cross gives a strong A+ and it is apparent that Bernardini is helping produce some very sound offspring. However, we cannot underestimate the power of the auction ring and the more Rachel races the more I see a sale soaring over Azeri's colt last year.  Given the estimated sale price that Mr. Jackson paid for Rachel, I would think that he may have a couple offspring in one or two of these sales.  Sheikh Mo would spare no expense to have an offspring laden with his own stallions.  This could bring in a "Green Monkey" type of bid.  One way or another, I can't wait to see what else Rachel can do not just on the track but the potential of her being one of those "blue hen" mares.

TJLuvsTizs 12 Aug 2009 2:18 PM

I believe the best match for Rachal would be Aragorn. Aragorn is a gorgeous son of Giants Causeway who of course is the best racing son of Storm Cat. This breeding takes us back with a cross to Northern Dancer who should be a strong nick to Rachal. She is a freak isn't she?

Mike Deming 18 Aug 2009 6:31 PM

I would choose Cape Cross from Ireland...

Laura 18 Aug 2009 6:50 PM

A proven stallion like A. P. Indy, Dynaformer, or Giant's Causeway? Or a young gun like Curlin or Bernardini? Who would you choose for Rachel Alexandra?

TrueNicks 30 Sep 2009 4:46 PM

TrueNicks 01 Oct 2009 9:03 AM

Street Cry,  Why?

The best Speed to the best Stamina

an A++,

Need I say more?

Doug

Doug Wofford 02 Oct 2009 7:26 AM

I think Birdstone would make a great match for Rachel Alexandra. He has great conformation. He also has a wonderful pedigree that I think would match up great with Rachel Alexandra. Birdstone is also a proven sire, siring Mind That Bird and Summer Bird among others and this is only his first crop. If I was the owners of Rachel I would really consider him.

Michelle D. 03 Oct 2009 12:32 AM

The TrueNicks community voted on the best first mate for superfilly Rachel Alexandra. Here are the results, along with links to the full reports.

TrueNicks 05 Nov 2009 2:29 PM

i dont know alot about the breeding of racehorses, but  my selection would be the sire of zenyatta/  the mix of these two regal champions dna would be a thing of great beauty. not to mention a super horse.

KACETHEACE 08 Dec 2009 3:53 AM

My pick for a sire would be SEA THE STARS.Bred the best to the best and hope for the best.My North American Choice would be Giants Causeway For is toughness and versitility

Roy Hughes 12 Dec 2009 4:58 AM

A.P.Indy. He does not have any Northern Dancer in him.  Also, he has two triple crown winners in his pedegree. Seattle Slew the sire and Secretariat the grandfather. He is also a proven sire.  The best son from Seattle Slew.

Ruthie 13 Jan 2010 12:35 PM

holy Roman emperor is proving very successful with his first 2 year old s  maybe his speed and her stamina ?

could be very exciting

darren 22 Sep 2010 5:56 PM

cape cross very good sire great miler  should also suit rachel

darren 22 Sep 2010 5:57 PM

I would get AP Indy out of moth balls for just one more!

If you can't get him, then we'll need distance. Maybe his son Bernadini? Too bad Rags to Riches is a filly!

Just for beauty Rock Hard Ten. or Bellamy Road.  oh my!

We know Curlin will be first!

dianne 26 Sep 2010 7:17 PM

Speaking of Zenyatta, How about Street Sense and Rachel?

dianne 26 Sep 2010 7:23 PM

Of course AP Indy has Northern Dancer.  You just have to look back a little .

Try Nearco.

Dianne 26 Sep 2010 7:31 PM

The best thing Mr. Jackson can do is get rid of ASSmussen.

He has taken the worlds greatest horse and with the 8 bit turned her into a good horse!

dianne 26 Sep 2010 8:17 PM

Wait I know.  Dynaformer!

dianne 26 Sep 2010 8:24 PM

i think that the stallions that Rachel should be breed to are either Big Brown cause he won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, Afleet Alex after winning the Preakness Stakes after going down to his knees and winning the Belmont Stakes. But i think that the three top stallions for Rachel are going to be Summer Bird who won the Belmont Stakes and won the Travers Stakes and also came in fourth to Zenyatta in the Classic or Smarty Jones who almost won the triple crown in 04 he is a great stallion. But my number one horse that they should breed to Rachel is OF COURSE CURLIN. THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE CURLIN ABOUT WHY HE IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR RACHEL!!!!!!

Dylan 30 Nov 2010 6:14 PM