Home

0629143
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Stallions Battle at WinStar

WinStar stallions Tiznow and Distorted Humor, who are currently fighting for leadership of the General Sires list, both had good weekends.

Distorted Humor (TrueNicks,SRO) had two stakes winners, including veteran Commentator, who overwhelmed a field of New York-breds.The grade I winner has now annexed stakes at ages 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

The Tiznow (TrueNicks,SRO) horse Informed, who was claimed for $25,000 last year, took the Californian Stakes (gr. II). Rated A++ by TrueNicks, he is out of a mare by Storm Cat's late son Tabasco Cat, and follows champion Folklore (dam by Storm Cat) and Tiz Wonderful (dam by Hennessy) as the third Tiznow graded stakes winner on the cross. This is a good example of how a nick can originate from other parts of the pedigree than the direct sire line. Tiznow's third dam Lonely Dancer and Storm Cat, are both by sons of Northern Dancer, and Crimson Satan (sire of the second dam of Storm Cat) is a closely-bred half-brother to the third dam of Lonely Dancer.

Filed under: ,

10 Comments:

Go Tiznow!

For Big Red 17 Jun 2009 3:49 PM

The folks over at WinStar Farm run a top notch farm and they really and truly know what they are doing. Mr. & Mrs. Casner are such nice people, too, so it's good to see their farm and racing operation become so successful.

TIZNOW and DISTORTED HUMOR are battling it out for leading sire. I'm partial to TIZNOW, so I am rooting for him to stay on top all year, and I think he will. WELL ARMED and COLONEL JOHN are coming back, while BULLSBAY, INFORMED, TIZDEJAVU, TIZAQUEENA and BEAR NOW are holding down the fort until then. I also fully expect LIQUIDITY, LADY CHACE, TIZ TO DREAM, MR. HOT STUFF, BELIEVEINMENOW and TIZWAY to win a stakes race. I think it's a pretty amazing group of runners, and they should enable TIZNOW to stay atop the sires list for 2009.

Mike S 17 Jun 2009 4:06 PM

Tiznow rules !!!  He has more graded stakes winners than Distorted Humor this year already...  A grade 1, 3 grade 11's and a grade 3.  His foals will be very competitive in years to come...

Mindy C. 17 Jun 2009 7:50 PM

Mike S.

Ditto to all that you said...  I do believe that Mr. Hot Stuff will finally someday come into maturity...

He is a ''nut'' case , huh...

Gotta love Colonel John and Well Armed... God love them...  Wish that

Al Stall, trainer of Bear Now would put her back on synthetics and shorten her up... she is a nice mare...  you thoughts?  Liquidity is also coming back, however overmatched in the Whittingham last week...

Mindy C. 18 Jun 2009 7:55 AM

Tiznow was my main reason for becoming a fan of the sport after his 2nd BC Classic win in 2001. And he's throwing some tough horses they are all my favorites and I'm really pulling for MR HOT STUFF to win stakes race he's been awfully close and he's had some bad racing luck.

KMAUER 18 Jun 2009 9:23 AM

Distorted Humor is by far the most generous stallion at the present time.

Almost 80 winners and 40 repeted winners, 10 stake winners so far this year. Look what he produced over the past 2 or 3 years. Besides they run at all ages and last as runners. See Commentator and others. Look at auction prices.

Overall in class by itself.

marc 18 Jun 2009 12:55 PM

I think BEAR NOW is wonderful on synthetic tracks, but she is also very good on dirt. Her bad dirt races were on sloppy tracks, so I don't think she likes it wet at all. She's good from 7 furlongs to 8-1/2 furlongs. She's a tough chick!

Generally, I think that TIZNOW's reputation as a sire is growing and will continue to grow in the coming years. He is siring a lot of very fine runners.

Mike S 18 Jun 2009 10:17 PM

I am so glad that Tiznow is getting the respect that he so deserves!  He is hot! Tiznow has the distance,speed,stamina, and heart.I think that his runners possess these same attributes as their dad  Susan k

Susan K 19 Jun 2009 3:48 AM

Mike S.

How do you feel about Mr. Hot Stuff? I feel and see the talent, but the light has got to come on sometime ..

Your thoughts?

Mindy C. 19 Jun 2009 8:16 PM

MR. HOT STUFF is a beautiful horse, full of fire and attitude, and is just an impressive specimen. I can't fault his connections for trying the Kentucky Derby and Belmont, I would have done the same thing if he were mine. I think he will become a stakes winner, but exactly when he will blossom is anyone's guess. Will he be a late developing type, like WELL ARMED, INFORMED and BULLSBAY? Or will he win a big race this year? My guess is he will become a stakes winner this year. I loved his maiden score, he closed like a rocket in a style that was exactly like COLONEL JOHN's Santa Anita Derby.

Mike S 20 Jun 2009 2:09 AM