Home

0624726
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

A.P. Indy Line -- Eyeing a Big Weekend

It was a relatively quiet weekend in international racing, but there was one classic in North America, Canada's classic Queen's Plate. The race went to favorite, Eye of the Leopard, who narrowly held of from Mr. Foricos Two U, with Canadian Oaks winner Milwaukee Appeal third.

Eye of the Leopard certainly has the pedigree for the job as he is by A.P. Indy (TrueNicks,SRO) out of Canadian champion 3-year-old Eye of the Sphynx, a daughter of Smart Strike (TrueNicks,SRO) -- earning a TrueNicks A+ rating. Interestingly, Eye of the Sphynx is bred on the same Smart Strike/Vice Regent cross as the dam of Mine That Bird, while Curlin is by Smart Strike out of a mare by Vice Regent's top son, Deputy Minister.

Possibly an even better-bred A.P. Indy weekend stakes winner was With Flying Colors, a daughter of  four-time grade I-winning My Flag (by Easy Goer out of the undefeated Personal Ensign). A half-sister to champion Storm Flag Flying and to On Parade, the dam of this year's Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT) and Ben Ali Stakes (gr. III) winner Parading (by A.P. Indy's son Pulpit), With Flying Colors, who is rated A+. She gained her first stakes victory Sunday by taking the Floral Park Heatherten Stakes at Belmont Park.

The weekend was a good for a couple of other A.P. Indy sons, as well. Malibu Moon doubled with Bon Jovi Girl and Ask the Moon. Bon Jovi Girl, out of the Alydar mare Chipeta Springs, took the Susan's Girl Stakes at Delaware Park; previously she had been been runner-up in the Black-Eyed Susan (gr. II). With Malibu Moon being out of a Mr. Prospector mare, this one has the genetic relatives Mr. Prospector and Alydar in the center of the pedigree. A day after Bon Jovi Girl's win, Ask the Moon captured the Lighthouse Stakes at Monmouth Park. She is rated TrueNicks A++,and is out of a mare by Valid Appeal. Malibu Moon was one of horses featured in our "Good Value Sires" and he now has seven stakes winners this year, all but one sired at a fee of $10,000 or less.

Another "Good Value" son of A.P. Indy, Jump Start, also added a stakes winner at the weekend with Assessment winning Emerald Downs' Budweiser Emerald Handicap. Assessment is out of a mare by Silver Ghost, and Jump Start also has stakes winners out of Mr. Prospector-line daughters of Carson City, Fast Gold, and De Niro (by Gulch). Assessment is not only inbred 4 x 3 to Mr. Prospector, but his granddam, Dismasted, is by Restless Native (a son Native Dancer bred on rather similar lines to Raise a Native) out of a mare by Nashua, is bred similarly to Mr. Prospector.

Finally, A.P. Indy son Golden Missile – now based in New York – added a stakes winner when Winning Drive took the Lil E. Tee Handicap at Presque Isle Downs. Out of a Phone Trick mare, Winning Drive is TrueNicks rated B+.

Filed under: , ,

11 Comments:

I agree that A.P. Indy's sons Malibu Moon and Jump Start are definitely "good value" young sires. What are you opinions of Full Mandate and Friend's Lake?

Carol Engles 25 Jun 2009 11:39 AM

a.p. indy is one of  the top 5 best stallions in the last 20 years.maybe the best!

mike rullo 25 Jun 2009 12:01 PM

i have a mare by Service Stripe out of a Bold Ruckus mare, and her granddam on the maternal side is by Green Dancer, I'm torn between breeding her next season, 2010, to Even the Score, Malibu Moon, Mingun, or Aptitude, there's a few others I've looked at but those are main choices. I really love the fact A.P Indy and his sons do so well with Deputy Minister line mares, and Service Stripe has Blushing Groom in there for an added quality..Was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Her and Even the Score would produce a 3/4 sister or so to Four Gifts, so far that cross has apparently worked well.

Anonymous 25 Jun 2009 12:55 PM

To Anonymous;

I am a little concerning about your stallion choices. Do you realize that Mingun is $5000 in 2009 (a mare worth approximately $20,000) and Malibu Moon is $40,000 (a mare worth approximately $150,000). The type of mare going to Mingun is quite different than that going to Malibu Moon. Before selecting a stallion, perhaps you need to properly evaluate the true appraised mare of your mare.

Elaine 25 Jun 2009 3:03 PM

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, A.P.INDY IS THE NEXT MR. PROSPECTOR,REGALLY BRED,UMBELIEVEABLE.

ROBERT FROM TAMPA, FL. 25 Jun 2009 7:14 PM

Actually I know the worth of my mare, and those are stallions who's pedigrees I have been looking over, and have been nicking her with just to see the outcome. I listed them because she nicks the best with sons of A.P Indy and with Indy himself. I personally like Mingun's pedigree. I'm breeding to race, not to sell, and more than likely it's going to be between Even the Score and Aptitude (which she is on his possible list) Also considered Quiet American, she gets an A++ with him, but that doesn't always mean much or much at all. I only figured I'd try this out to see other people's "suggestions" in a cross with Service Stripe, or Deputy Minister in general, since it is based on a "stallion" / Deputy Minister cross. I understand what your saying Elaine, but my purpose of placing this comment was just to see if anyone other than me and my partners have any new ideas on a cross for Deputy Minister line mares, that may work.

Anonymous 26 Jun 2009 12:23 AM

Hi,

On Full Mandate and Friends Lake: Full Mandate has had a lot of winners, but only the one black-type winner, so probably hasn't been quite what they hoped. Friends Lake has 61 starters and three stakes winners (one graded) and two stakes placed, with his first crop only three.

Alan Porter 26 Jun 2009 5:16 PM

I had a mare that I breed to Malibu Moon, First foal, Starlenna, Second  Randys Moon, Third the best for last , he is training at Santa Anita, He is going to be a very fast offspring, be ready, he could be a monster, I gave the mare away for 55,000, made some money only paid 2500. for her. But be ready for RACHELS MOON, BRUCE HEADLEY HAS HIM

onesock 28 Jun 2009 10:00 AM

thank you for that comment onesock, i didnt pay much for my mare either, shes actually worth much more than i paid for her, the wrong people had her, plus went bankrupt, so she was a steal..ive thought about malibu moon cus she line breeds with him to green dancer, anyways, good luck with your colt, hope he stays sound and wins some big ones for you!

Anonymous 30 Jun 2009 11:38 PM

Anyone know who is the owner of a broodmare name Starlenna, if so please e-mail me , I bred her and sold her as a two year-old to B.Wayne Hughes

onesock854 16 Jan 2011 8:13 PM

onesock,

What's the pedigree of the broodmare?

Ian