Home

0596676
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Your Turn: Time To Vote On Your Selections For Rachel Alexandra's First Mate

After two posts and 232 comments by our readers, it is now time for you to vote on the stallion that you would like to see Rachel Alexandra mated to in her first season at stud.

We must say that there were some outstanding suggestions made by our TrueNicks community and we are thrilled that you have taken the time to come up with the suggestions that you have. We had a wide range of stallions suggested from A.P. Indy (TrueNicks,SRO) to The Green Monkey (TrueNicks,SRO) in North America and the likes of Monsun (a very popular choice) in Europe, Redoute's Choice in Australia, Al Mufti in South Africa and Deep Impact in Japan.

The most popular suggestion in the 232 comments was actually the Three Chimneys stallion Dynaformer (TrueNicks,SRO) . We have left him on the list of stallions that you can now cast your vote for even thought it is unlikely that Rachel Alexandra will go there as he does not serve maiden mares. Maybe one to consider for year two or three. Curlin (TrueNicks,SRO), Street Cry (IRE) (TrueNicks,SRO) , A. P. Indy, Giant's Causeway (TrueNicks,SRO) and Smart Strike (TrueNicks,SRO) were also popular choices.

Here is how this part of the process works. All of the stallions that have been suggested are listed below. It is now up to you to vote and it is a two step process. Firstly, pick your stallion and secondly in the area below you can write a brief description on why you selected the stallion. If you have already written on one of the two blog entries, here or here, why you like the stallion you have chosen, you can just cut and paste the words into the required area.

Voting on the stallions listed below will close on Friday October 9th. After that, Alan Porter and the team at TrueNicks will look at the 7 most popular stallions and judge the entries on each stallion made and finalize the Broodmare Analysis Report for presentation to Jess Jackson and the team at Stonestreet during the November Breeding Sale.

CLICK HERE AND GET VOTING!

50 Comments:

I can't see Jess Jackson sending her anywhere but to Curlin first. BUT with her inbreeding, I'd rather have her sent to an outcross stallion like Dynaformer, Holy Bull, AP Indy or even Pleasant Tap. All of those... most likely won't happen. Physically, her body type would fit well for Gulch, Smart Strike, Curlin, and Street Cry.

Jim 01 Oct 2009 1:31 PM

You're going to discuss the top 7 most popular...how about also discusses the best and/or the worst that we picked, not just the most popular...because I bet the best of the list won't be among the top 7...;-)

Rachel A. (for real) 01 Oct 2009 2:53 PM

I would much rather discuss where she will race next year and who she will face as competition.

I am a racing fan.

Margaret 01 Oct 2009 3:47 PM

Rachael is a proven race horse but not a proven broodmare. She should go to a proven stallion.

Christian 01 Oct 2009 3:49 PM

What is the story with no maiden's for Dynaformer? Is that common at the top of the stallion heap? and even so, would they really turn down RA becasue of it?

Edward 01 Oct 2009 4:03 PM

I thought she was supposed to be mated with Curlin upon her retirement.

smartysgal 01 Oct 2009 4:08 PM

he is a champion and a proven producer if nothim then a.p. indy. breed the best to the best

dynaformer 01 Oct 2009 4:40 PM

Tiznow first and Afleet Alex second.  I will take a horse with heart and determination over any other stallion anytime.   Plus, they had a pretty good race record.

Clay Cason 01 Oct 2009 5:22 PM

I pick Giants Causeway, but I am sure Curlin will be the automatic choice.  Just love GC.

Pintail 01 Oct 2009 5:31 PM

Breeding is such a fickle sport all theories can be discussed and either liked or disliked. That is why we breed buffs go to people like you to apply your knowledge to our horses to attempt to breed a very good horse.Luck will play its part but nature will win out in the end.

Keith Donnison 01 Oct 2009 5:46 PM

Giant's Causeway. :)

Flynne 01 Oct 2009 6:22 PM

I would say Curlin only because him and Rachel have the same owners so Im sure Curlin would be first choice.

Annie 01 Oct 2009 6:22 PM

Mating two of the best ever and those bloodlines.  Awesome

Curlin 01 Oct 2009 7:14 PM

I have suggested Smart Strike before because he has sired good class winners up to 2 miles when Tungsten Strike won the Sagaro Stakes at Ascot,and with Rachel Alexandra having won a grade 1 up to 9 and a half furlongs as long as the offspring has ability there

would be no stamina doubts.The selection of Smart Strike will look

even better if Lookin At Lucky can win the Norfolk Stakes.

John T. 01 Oct 2009 9:16 PM

I'd like to see her with Street Cry, after Curlin of course, and would love to see a filly from those two

Mokey 01 Oct 2009 9:36 PM

Giant's Causeway for all the reasons stated by Flynne above. And I like the cross of broodmare sire Roar thrown in the mix.

Tammy 11 May 2009 6:23 PM

Tammy 01 Oct 2009 9:38 PM

A.P. Indy is my favorite stallion as was his daddy, Seattle Slew, before him.  However, there is no point in voting as Rachel Alexandra is going to be bred to Curlin when her racing career is over as Jess Jackson owns both of them.

Pamela Kafton 02 Oct 2009 12:35 AM

TIZNOW by a head over Dynaformer in the barns and ovals of modern horsieeess who are BRED to RACE FASTER than all others and show their magnificant PEDIGREE for the WORLD to see!!Size is not a qualifier--BUT heart and stamina and training are the most critical as I view it from Erie, Pa=Oct 2, 2009

Van L FREEMAN 02 Oct 2009 7:05 AM

I just love the irony of Rachel mating with Birdstone, the daddy of the two birds she has beaten in her historic races against the males

Marilyn 02 Oct 2009 8:55 AM

I would like to see what Curlin and Rachel would produce.  I am Curlin's greatest fan and predudiced; check True Nicks for those two, and you get an A! But you never know! Smart Strike and A.P. Indy also great choices down the road.

CURLINLOVER 02 Oct 2009 9:07 AM

Curlin for sure...

MintHillFarm 02 Oct 2009 9:42 AM

Lemon Drop Kid is my pick. Love his pedigree and his percentage of stakes winners is outstanding. Excellent turf and synthetic sire.

kenek 02 Oct 2009 10:02 AM

Curlin (what a tank) Street Cry, A.P.Indy...Distorted Humor......

I really do not see a horse that will improve Rachel she seems to have everything.

Ragsy 02 Oct 2009 10:17 AM

Copy and paste it is... (for what it's worth, in order of preference -- Indian Charlie, Redoute's Choice, Kingmambo, Best of the Bests)

The family seems to have an affinity for Mr. Prospector blood, however, I personally don't like to see MP inbreeding unless it's through specific lines.  Street Cry, Kingmambo and Smart Strike would be the obvious choices (and I don't doubt her first foal will be from Curlin), however I would be more inclined to try a little different approach, head north to Canada and test her to Best Of The Bests.  I think I like the infusion of Darshaan and Little Hut to her more than the Troy Street Cry (or one of his sons) would bring to the mix.

There's no denying the Danzig (or, more accurately, Danehill)/Sadler's Wells cross and in a few years it might be worth taking a serious look at Hard Spun should he prove himself.  Until then, Langfuhr might be interesting.  If you really wanted to be aggressive and send her overseas, the only Danehill worth looking at is Redoute's Choice.

Now, if she were mine I'd want to think out of the box and send her to Indian Charlie.  While there is no nick for In Excess/Sadler's Wells (lack of measurable opportunity?), this is the cross responsible for Musical Chimes.  Additionally, Indian Charlie has 6 foals from the 1-o family.  All 6 have started, 5 of them winners including the stakes winners Why Tonto and Tampa course record holder Charlie Papa.

Sam 02 Oct 2009 10:53 AM

Edward,

A few years ago Dynaformer, who let's just say isn't exactly lacking any size in the wedding tackle department, had a not so pleasant experience with a maiden mare.

The decision was made by teh management of Three Chimneys at the time to eliminate maiden mares from his book to avert any potential disasters and since that time he has done just fine and they have not made any exceptions.

As we said, if you like Dnyaformer, nominate him as I am sure he could be considered in years two and beyond.

Byron Rogers

brogers 02 Oct 2009 11:23 AM

Bernardini - when he was right nothing could match strides with him. I'd like to see the biomechanical matches.

Michael D 02 Oct 2009 11:26 AM

Rachel is huge and should not be bred to a massive type of stallion. I like the idea of trying her with Elusive Quality og Indian Charlie for racy refinement. I'm not sure these suggestions will come out with A plusplusplus etc. in your nicking machine - but the idea is intriguing.

Agnes 02 Oct 2009 11:28 AM

Sam, you're right on the money.

These were the A++ crosses with Rachel Alexandra:

Indian Charley

Distorted Humor

Street Cry

Grand Slam

Milwaukee Brew

Successful Appeal

EarlySpeed 02 Oct 2009 12:14 PM

RA has such a strong topline and a huge hindquarters -I love her movement and her shoulder. The question is will the colt follow her or the stallion, thats the risk. In my mind, she is such a superior filly, you could breed her to a cull and still get a quality individual.  But something no one ever addresses, is the mind of the stallion, and to me that is just as important.

Rose 02 Oct 2009 12:18 PM

This one is off the wall, but I base it on the huge success Rachel's damsire Roar had in Argentina: Repent, out of a full sister to an Argentine champion. Roar sired a G1 winner out of a mare by Repent's damsire. Repent is just over 16 hands so not a giant, and he has sired several decent horses from his first few crops. Only repeated name in first five generations is Northern Dancer, 4x5x5 (you can't get away from him anywhere).

Ann in Lexington 02 Oct 2009 12:49 PM

I would not breed Rachel to Curlin, and not because of the inbreeding.  But rather that Smart Strike has not shown to be a sire of sires....yet.  Having said that, you know that Rachel will go to Curlin for the first foal.  I would send her to Quiet American or Bernardini.  Rachel may be a large mare, but she does not show that she will be as dominate at 1 1/4 miles.  I would still like to see more stamina in her.  A.P. Indy will probably cover her since he is getting older and Curlin is just starting.  Street Cry is another I would try.  I would also take a shot with Giants Causeway.  I would stay away from Distorted Humor or anything with additional Forty Niner in the pedigree.  I would not breed her to any stallion, with the exception of Quiet American, who did not win at 1 1/4 miles.  Sunday Silence blood might also provide a boost.

ROBERT 02 Oct 2009 1:12 PM

If you are breeding for a racehorse then MARILYN is right on. Birdstone. But since Jackson owns the horse then they will breed to whoever will create the most valuable offspring.

Cowboy Bob 02 Oct 2009 4:00 PM

I have to say Bernardini. I will never forget how he looked in the paddock going into the Preakness.

mburry 02 Oct 2009 4:01 PM

Curlin- no

I don't think the formula of breeding champions to champions has always worked very well.

I still like Birdstone for her.

There is some interesting duplications in the top and bottom of the pedigree for the hypothetical foal.

Next, Hat Trick, for all the the Fair Play lines in the background that you don't see in the 5-gen of both horse-, and if there is anything to MTDNA, then he's from family 1-0 as is RA. Might not increase the stamina but then again, with this cross, it's about further back in the pedigree and maybe that would help bring a little back, plus duplicating the same mare family top and bottom.

That said, since you're limiting this to only a couple stallions, following the theory that stamina is built by multiple duplications in the 6th through 10 generations, then Dynaformer.  The resulting foal will have Dynaformer's repeats in the sixth.  There's not much else other than getting Hail to Reason up closer and RA has one cross of that in the 5th.  I still think the resulting foal might be too big but not the "big bulk" Curlin might produce.

Second choice is A.P.Indy.

But I'll say it again, take a real good look at the Birdstone cross and the sex balanced (I think) crosses it produces of Silent Screen and Caps and Bells.  If you want a race horse, that's one thing.  If you want the potential of producing a sire/broodmare, then Birdstone- plus it helps put a little more distance in the RA mix.

h 02 Oct 2009 7:50 PM

i think zenyattas sire street cry truenicks rating a++

sal 02 Oct 2009 8:36 PM

How about Sea the Stars? ND and MP inbreeding should be far enough back. Look at some of the outstanding broodmares involved: Urban Sea, Courtly Dee, Glowing Tribute. You'd have two crosses of Sir Ivor and four crosses of Sir Gaylord, plus a half-sister to Somethingroyal in Speedwell.You'd also have a son and a daughter of Tom Fool (Buckpasser and Cap and Bells). Also, hasn't Sadler's Wells done nicely when crossed with Never Bend (who is out of Lalun, dam of Sadler's Wells' broodmare sire, Bold Reason)?

cah1708 03 Oct 2009 1:51 PM

Hard Spun. Like Rachel, he was sound, durable and as honest and courageous a racehorse as we've seen for many a year. Okay, maybe he wasn't as out and out fast as Curlin and Street Sense (altho he did beat both of 'em) but Rachel IS. The combination of all their traits could result in something quick enough to top its division and durable enough to stick around and draw the love of the fans.

Convene 03 Oct 2009 1:55 PM

RA has to go to Curlin, what point in Jess Jackson not supporting his stallion with his best mare?

If the foal is a filly then when its time to breed from it there will be no inbreeding within the five generations and the foal can them be bread to any stallion.

QWERTY 03 Oct 2009 3:00 PM

I would love to see Rachel Alexandra bred to Smarty Jones at Three Chimney’s Farm.

Even though Smarty Jones was a smaller size stallion, he had a heart of gold, good temperament, loved to race and a very good racing record. He was also known as the Peoples’ Horse and still is.

Elinor 03 Oct 2009 8:55 PM

1)Dynaformer--for the inbred Ribot

2)Tiznow--heart, longevity and stamina

Ruffian's mother 03 Oct 2009 9:24 PM

Then again, the way he's running, heck, as an unproven sire, who'd retire about the same time as RA, Summer Bird would be a better bet.

Not only does that get you Birdstone and the Silent Screen/Caps and Bells factor, he brings in a dam line back to the Man O' War mare Spotted Beauty, adds in Rough Shod and Weekend Surprise, the dam of A.P. Indy.

It gives way too much Northern Dancer for my taste, but as a package, combines Birdstone with some of the A.P.Indy background.

HorseFirst 03 Oct 2009 10:54 PM

I like Any Given Saturday for Rachel. They get an excellent True Nicks rating. Although I am not sure she has distance limitations as some have speculated, his pedigree has plenty of winners at 10 furlongs and more.  Even though he did not win past 9 furlongs, there were possible reasons for his losses in those attempts.  I also really like the double crosses of Native Dancer and Northern Dancer! Even though some would disagree, I have seen an HUGE number of stakes winners with that breeding! Go Native Dancer!

Racingfan 05 Oct 2009 10:15 PM

Of the five listed here, I would chose Curlin for similar bloodline reasons as Any Given Saturday.

Racingfan 05 Oct 2009 10:19 PM

I think she should go to Strong Hope or Buddha to see how good she really is...maybe she can move them up.

BrettFavre 06 Oct 2009 12:48 PM

I would have to say Smart Strike. Seems to produce on all surfaces. And that seems to be a huge angle for breeding now.

Curlin...English Channel...  Need I say more?

Horswld 06 Oct 2009 7:13 PM

I say Distorted Humor.

Just look at how DH has crossed with El Prado (1 G1W and 2 additional SWs from only 3 tries) and Sadlers Wells (a G1W with him as the 2nd damsire) from extremely limited opportunity!

This makes sense from the standpoint of theory given the intriguing parallels between the pedigree of Sadlers Wells and Distorted Humor's dam Danzigs Beauty, both having Northern Dancer close up on the sireside and a representative of the Hail to Reason / Djeddah cross as the damsire.

Michael Ventura 09 Oct 2009 12:42 AM

i would breed her to limehouse,he has a lot of mr prospector,Ithink it would be interesting.

Horacio de sousa 09 Oct 2009 1:17 AM

TrueNicks 05 Nov 2009 2:29 PM

I missed the results of this poll and can't seem to find them anywhere.  May I ask who the top seven votes were and who you ultimately sent as suggestions to Jackson?

Sam 16 Feb 2010 10:17 AM

"The TrueNicks community voted on the best first mate for superfilly Rachel Alexandra. Here are the results, along with links to the full reports.

TrueNicks 05 Nov 2009 2:29 PM"

I'm sorry, it might be my computer, but I am still not seeing anything that shows the results of this vote. The link at the top to vote on has been disabled and doesn't show anything but a "this poll is closed" message.

Sam 18 Feb 2010 6:36 PM