Home

0624726
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Poll Question: Freshman Sires

Last year, when Offlee Wild (TrueNicks,SRO) emerged as Champion Freshman Sire, his credentials fit an interesting profile:

• His biggest win came as a 5-year-old in the 10-furlong Suburban H. (gr. I)

• His sire line is not known for precocious two-year-olds

• His first crop had only 72 two-year-olds

• His initial stud fee was a moderate $15,000

• High-priced stallions with their first runners on the track in 2010 include Bernardini (TrueNicks,SRO), First Samurai (TrueNicks,SRO), Bluegrass Cat (TrueNicks,SRO), and Henny Hughes (TrueNicks,SRO).

Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) and Met Mile (gr. I) winner Silver Train (TrueNicks,SRO) leads all first crop stallions with 125 two-year-olds.

The following stallions have less than 90 two-year-olds of 2010, and each stood their initial stud season for a fee between $10,000 and $20,000.

Stallion 2YOs of 2010 2007 Stud Fee
    Unbridled Energy (TrueNicks,SRO)
    $10,000
    War Front (TrueNicks,SRO)
    $12,500

Filed under: ,

15 Comments:

Interesting poll but sort of too late.  It's no real surprise that Giacomo has the most votes because he's currently leading the freshman sire list.  Kind of like asking who's going to win the Super Bowl after the 1st quarter with one team up by 10 points.

FourCats 07 Jun 2010 3:19 PM

None of the above: Congrats will do it. His offspring will come into their own once the races go a little further.

Stevie G 07 Jun 2010 3:48 PM

FourCats,

Yeah, maybe we have some fair-weather fans of Giacomo, but it's early June. He's only had 4 runners and leads the list by just $9,000. I wouldn't quite call that a 10-point NFL lead...

Ian Tapp 07 Jun 2010 3:54 PM

Stevie G,

Congrats (TrueNicks,SRO) has 107 2YOs so left him off the list. Don't you think that's asking a bit much of an A.P. Indy/Mr. Prospector cross? I can see him being a serious 2nd crop stallion; even Pulpit doesn't get a lot of 2YOs.

Ian

Ian Tapp 07 Jun 2010 4:00 PM

Giacomo really suprised me doing so well ,so early with his 2yr olds ! I was thinking his offspring would be late bloomers . I know he's not mentioned but , I'm anxiously awaiting Bernardini's first winner !

Pedigree Shelly 07 Jun 2010 5:42 PM

Too much ado about leading freshman sires. Years ago it may have been a decent barometer of things to come, but this is less the case today. It gives many newer breeders a somewhat distorted picture of stallion merit/value. Also, all too often today perceived stallion "success" is directly related to opportunity rather than true merit. One reason, perhaps, why the elite stallion ranks are so thin.

sceptre 07 Jun 2010 7:57 PM

Bluegrass Cat will give him a run for top freshmen sire, also Badge of Silver, and Deputy Storms' Six Pack Shelly has already shown much promise.

Hoofbeats 08 Jun 2010 7:04 AM

I think First Samurai will be the leader.  His pedigree is outstanding, and while his initial fee is higher than the stallions on your list, we never really go to see how great he could be.  I think his progeny will be educating us shortly.

Mantonin 08 Jun 2010 11:48 AM

PURIM will be better than all of these.  When the races get longer and the big money is on the line, I will take stamia and soundest over these inbred sprint sires every time.  Winning short and early ensures that you will not be around for the classic races.

dave york 08 Jun 2010 3:50 PM

dave york,

I've heard great things about Purim (TrueNicks,SRO) - he has some very nice looking yearlings and foals. His oldest crop are yearlings at the moment, so he'll certainly be one to watch next season. He has 78 yearlings bred at a $10,000 fee.

Ian

Ian Tapp 08 Jun 2010 4:36 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Afleet Alex take it!

CURLINLOVER 10 Jun 2010 9:21 AM

Curlinlover,

Afleet Alex is currently the leading 2nd crop stallion.

Ian Tapp 10 Jun 2010 9:32 AM

AP Indy is already proving himself as a sire of sires with Pulpit, Malibu Moon, Mineshaft, and Stephen Got Even cracking the top 32 in leading sires for 2010.  I think Suave will be an excellent sire and can't wait for the Bernardini and Majestic Warrior babies.

Kris O 10 Jun 2010 6:56 PM

Sorry, ITapp! You're right, of course! I got carried away!

Good for Afleet Alex! He's doing well, it seems! I love his Dublin! Hopes Dublin wins some the rest of the season to do his dad proud!:-)

I'll then go with Bluegrass Cat! I loved that horse too!

CURLINLOVER 11 Jun 2010 11:38 AM

Stevie G, good call with Congrats!

Curlinlover, kudos with Bluegrass Cat too.

Notice how Congrats is a AP Indy/Mr. P cross and Bluegrass Cat is out of a mare bred the same?

Watch this pattern. lol.

I think Bernardini will come on later in the year but he won't win the leading first crop race. I do think he will have a good second crop and think he might win that war.

'Andrea Bouwkamp 18 Aug 2010 1:30 PM