Home

0629143
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Reader Challenge

Reader challenge: Name all three racehorses and the race that was won by all three. Leave your guess in the comments section below.

We will hold all comments until Wednesday, June 30, at 11:00am EDT.

UPDATE: Congrats to refrain who correctly identified Pleasant Tap (TrueNicks,SRO), Kelso, and Silver Buck. Pleasant Tap won the 1992 Suburban Handicap (gr. I); Kelso won the 1961 and 1963 editions (he also ran second in 1962 and 1964); and Silver Buck won the 1982 edition while setting a new Belmont track record of 1:59 3/5. The 2010 Suburban (gr. II) will be run this Saturday and will be contested at 9 furlongs.

Filed under:

20 Comments:

Pleasant Tap, Kelso, Silver Buck

Suburban Hdcp.

refrain 29 Jun 2010 12:13 PM

Top to bottom:

Pleasant Tap (that was a gimme)

Buckpasser

Silver Buck

The race is the Suburban Handicap at Belmont Park.

Shall I assume you have some Pleasant Tap/Buckpasser nick theory at work?

Sam 29 Jun 2010 12:31 PM

The race is the Risen Star stakes.

The top photo is of Comic Strip (1998).

The middle photo, I believe, is Master Derby (1975).

The third photo, I believe, is Open Forum (1997). Coincidentally, one of my mares is a daughter of Open Forum and she is almost identical to him!!

Hope I win :) :)

cah 29 Jun 2010 12:40 PM

Pleasant Tap, Kelso, and Skip Away. And the race could either be the Jockey Club Gold Cup or the Suburban- all three won it. That's my guess.

Toral 29 Jun 2010 1:16 PM

Gulch, Bold Ruler, Monarchos; Wood Memorial.

Jeff 29 Jun 2010 2:18 PM

Pleasant Tap, Kelso, Skip Away

Jockey Club Gold Cup

gracy 29 Jun 2010 3:07 PM

Jockey Club Gold Cup winners

Pleseant Tap

Kelso

Waquoit

Anthony Say 29 Jun 2010 3:14 PM

Will take a punt...

Jockey Club Gold Cup:

Pleasant Tap, Nashua, Skip Away

Vicky 29 Jun 2010 4:40 PM

Pleasant Tap, Tom Fool and Skip Away all won the Suburban Handicap in 1992, 1953 and 1997 respectively.

Brian Appleton 29 Jun 2010 5:42 PM

I'm probably very wrong but

Seattle Slew

Citation

Native Dancer

all won the Belmont.

Except I believe Slew was a much darker bay than # 1 photo shows.

Slew 29 Jun 2010 6:41 PM

There are two correct responses so far. Here's a big hint for everyone else: the race these horses won is coming up this weekend.

Also, I changed my mind. I'll post the responses tomorrow (Wednesday) at 11am.

Ian

Ian Tapp 29 Jun 2010 7:06 PM

I'm really bad at this I guess...the race is the Suburban...I guess I really needed the clue since none of my guesses were right.  Now I'll say (unless you slipped in Tom Fool)

Buckpasser

Kelso

Silver Buck

Slew 29 Jun 2010 7:57 PM

Horse # 1 Pleasant Tap

Horse #2 Damascus

Horse #3 Skip Away

All won the Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Crystal C. 29 Jun 2010 8:16 PM

Curious to see who the bottom two are?  No time to try to look for them, I believe the top is Pleasant Tap, and the Suburban is the race?

Greg J. 30 Jun 2010 8:51 AM

Pleasant Tap, Forego, Silver Buck

The race is the Suburban Hdcp

larry

Larry LA 30 Jun 2010 9:19 AM

I'm going to say Archer's Bay, and With Approval,  won the Queen's Plate...

JMH 30 Jun 2010 9:55 AM

Sorry, Sam... I thought you had it when you had Silver Buck, but that is actually Kelso, not Buckpasser. So close. No nicking theories with this one, but definitely next time.

Ian

Ian Tapp 30 Jun 2010 11:10 AM

So close...2 out of 3 on the 2nd go round...sort of like my handicapping.  This was fun, Ian...I hope you do it again.  (but I still think Tom Fool, Buckpasser, and Silver Buck would have been a great trifecta of sires for this game)

Slew 30 Jun 2010 5:07 PM

Slew,

I'll definitely do this again soon. Yes, that would've been a nice trio of sires. I wonder what kind of sire Kelso would've been?

Ian

Ian Tapp 30 Jun 2010 5:18 PM

I would suppose that had Kelso not been gelded, we might never have had the opportunity to see him race, and he wouldn't have become the champion we so highly respect.  From what I understand, like Lava Man, even gelding did not dampen his high spirits and fractious nature.  I understand that Kelso had quite of few pets to try and keep him calm.  I find that utterly amazing, and just one more thing to keep us from viewing race horses as merely win machines, and more appreciative of the heart of a champion.

Slew 01 Jul 2010 7:05 AM