Home

0614246
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Lady's Secret, Zenyatta, Lady's Secret, Zenyatta

In the race briefly known as the Zenyatta Stakes, Zenyatta herself used her patented late move to claim her 19th victory Saturday at Hollywood Park. Odds are that the 2011 renewal of the Lady's Secret Stakes (gr. I) will be renamed once again for the unbeaten Street Cry (IRE) (TrueNicks,SRO) mare.

But let's not forget 1986 Horse of the Year Lady's Secret quite yet. This great Secretariat mare won 25 times in 45 starts, earning over $3 million. Her grade I wins include the Breeders' Cup Distaff (she was 2nd in another), Beldame (twice), Ruffian H. (twice), Maskette (now Go For Wand, twice), Hempstead H. (now Ogden Phipps), Whitney H. (defeating males), Shuvee, Santa Margarita H., and La Canada. Lady's Secret could sprint, too–she won the Test and Ballerina Stakes, both seven-furlong grade II events that are now grade I.

During her 1986 Horse of the Year campaign, Lady's Secret ran three times in the month of August–she won the Whitney (gr. I) on Aug. 2; was 3rd in the Iselin (gr. I) Aug. 16; and ran 2nd in the Woodward (gr. I) Aug. 30. She faced males in all three races.

For as successful as she was on the track, Lady's Secret was a disappointing broodmare. Visiting some of the top U.S. stallions, she produced 12 foals, for ten starters, five winners, and no stakes performers. In retrospect, and using TrueNicks for perspective, it appears that Lady's Secret was not ideally suited to her mates. Only one stallion, Mr. Prospector, nicked as well as A (both Mr. Prospector foals were winners).

Name Foaled Sire TrueNicks Best Race
Winner
Cool Valley Cowboy
2003
General Meeting
B+
Unplaced

While we can't go back in time and use a TrueNicks Broodmare Analysis Report for Lady's Secret, fortunately this research tool is available for Zenyatta. The report helps breeders find stallions that are the best statistical matches, nicking a mare with up to 50 stallions. Looking ahead to Zenyatta's career as a broodmare, here's hoping that her stallions are well suited to her, and that she can transmit her tremendous ability into her foals.

Filed under: ,

21 Comments:

Thanks for the info on Lady's Secret.  I'm relatively new to racing (broke maiden on Big Brown), so there's a lot I need to catch up on.  Nice to know that Queen Z is in such good company as LS!

Big Brown's Buddy 03 Oct 2010 6:38 PM

A.P. Indy is my bet whom they will breed her to. It is a great cross and A.P is old  whereas Pulpit will be around for longer, in theory.

Anita 03 Oct 2010 9:03 PM

Well, looking at the hypos... I like Zenyatta with:

Distorted Humor or Giant's Causeway

I just hope she has healthy, foals who go on to win. Genuine Risk and Winning Colours both had so many issues having babies, hopefully this big mare doesn't face those issues.

Ange 03 Oct 2010 9:32 PM

I would love to see the Pulpit foal I have liked him for her for a while even before I got to see the Broodmare Analysis report.

I have seen Arch Nicked an A on other sites for Zenyatta.   Still, again elsewhere, Giants Causeway and AP Indy are both A+++.  The Symboli Kris S TrueNick shows some of my favorites produced on that hypo.

I'd like to see Rock Hard Tens TrueNick with Zen - Id call the baby "Rock Hard Zen" either sex - It could have the potential be the most impressive horse I have ever seen.

How bout a for sure closer in Blame Zenyatta in a future cross.

Zen's Auntie 03 Oct 2010 10:59 PM

The European papers were saying that Sea the Stars had already been booked for Zenyatta before the Mosses decided to keep her in training. Wonder if that was just rumor?

makarra 03 Oct 2010 10:59 PM

lemon drop kid, is my choice for Zenyatta. good and perfect for her

william 04 Oct 2010 12:18 AM

What about Einstein? Just as durable, and proven on all surfaces, with the Buckpasser influence and stamina. Nice outcross, as well. Does every foal have to be a Northern Dancer/Mr. Prospector/Seattle Slew mixture? Isn't it about time we start to CONSIDER not inbreeding so terribly?

goodwin 04 Oct 2010 12:28 AM

Hi. I remember when we had a homosexual stallion in our barn (it is true people, it really happens in all animal life)--I sense or have a hunch Zenyetta might not be broodmare material. She just strikes me as more male than female. This is just my opinion and I wonder if you will censor this.

RealQuiet 04 Oct 2010 12:51 AM

Personally, I'd like to see her and Bernardini - Truenicks give's it an A++ with inbreeding to Mr. Prospector 5S x 4D. Can you imagine the size of their foal?! There's a Triple Crown winner, right there. Also, by breeding to Bernardini, you get the A.P. Indy that would also make a great match.

EmilyL 04 Oct 2010 1:52 AM

While I really like Bernardini, since you included a cross with a Kris S. son, there's no indication that you ever considered a cross with Einstein or Rock Hard Ten (I thought it was too close but according to you, maybe not).  It seems to me that any stallion, other than RH10, would need a stepladder.  Zen is huge!

Slew 04 Oct 2010 7:23 AM

Is BSII or the regular variant more important? Thanks

kary deco 04 Oct 2010 8:57 AM

Hi kary deco,

Both describe stakes winners to starters on the cross, but the BSII (Broodmare Sire Improvement Index) is a component of the Variant. The BSII tells how much the sire (or sire line) improves the broodmare sire (or broodmare sire line).

Both scores are based on an expected average of 1.00, so a BSII or Variant of 2.00 means twice the expected average of stakes winners to starters.

I would say both scores are important in the right context. The BSII helps qualify the Variant, telling the breeder which side of a potential mating would be providing the most improvement.

Ian

Ian Tapp 04 Oct 2010 9:49 AM

Slew,

A nice part of the Broodmare Analysis Report is that you can choose any 50 stallions in your report. All reports will vary according to the particular stallions being considered by the breeder. The report I've used here is just an example.

Ian

Ian Tapp 04 Oct 2010 9:55 AM

Lady's Secret was an iron racemare. Zenyatta deserves having races named for her--but not at the expense of Lady's Secret. No wonder why historical perspective suffers in this business.

JerseyTom 04 Oct 2010 10:50 AM

Such a shame that people will always be waiting and looking for her foals to be 'that special horse' that Zenyatta is/was when she retires. She won't produce a horse like she that. They don't come along that often and are freakishly good. People can't predict it and everyone longs for it. She's a gift to be enjoyed in this moment in time. Being a broodmare presents all different challenges, and, for me, I'd hope she was just retired and doesn't have to be bred. She's earned over $6 million. Why should she have to be bred to any horse at all? So many, many things happen to mares, both during pregnancy and foaling. Racing is easy compared to that and I've had mares that did both, too. It's so much easier on the racetrack!

Fly So Far 04 Oct 2010 11:33 AM

Jersey Tom..I couldn't agree more.. we are losing the historical perspective with major races due to the impact of the Breeder's cup. Top horses just race a few times waiting for the Breeder's Cup and the top historical races are getting watered down in distance and quality as they turn into just BC prep races.The top horses this year Blame, Quality Road, Zenyatta will race just 5 times at best before the BC. When you think of Lady's Secret running in 15 graded stakes reces in 1986 alone; 4 times against males and never out of the money, it is disrespectful to change the name of the race named for her!! Zenyatta will have 18 graded stakes races over 3 years ( assuming she goes in the BC Classic) while racing males once at year end for 2009 and 2010. As was mentioned earlier Lady's secret raced in 3 Grade 1 route races agianst males in the month of August alone!!! Impressive as Zenyatta has been I still wish she had been challeneged like the Iron Lady was challenged!!!

SMTDL 04 Oct 2010 12:27 PM

I hope they send Zenyatta to Sea the Stars as it had been mentioned sometime earlier in the year.... the foal would be outstanding I think!

zj 04 Oct 2010 9:09 PM

Mizzen Mast should rank as the number one choice.  Take a look at the female cross.  The bottom line of both is quite striking.  This match could and if a filly will likely produce a mare for the ages.

dave york 05 Oct 2010 3:02 AM

my first choice to breed with zenyatta

1 ap iny

2 giant's causeway

3 dynaformer

4 langfuhr

5 elusive quality

secretariat 07 Oct 2010 6:42 PM

the best breeding options for zenyatta are

1 ap indy

2 giant's causeway

3 dynaformer

4 elusive quality

5 langfuhr

secretariat 11 Oct 2010 2:01 PM

the best breeding options for zenyatta

1 ap indy