Home

0629143
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Zazu Just Can't Wait to Be Queen

Z fans didn't have to wait long for another Z-named, Jerry-and-Ann-Moss-owned filly to win a grade I race in California. Zazu, a striking gray filly by Tapit (TrueNicks,SRO), came from last to out-finish favored Turbulent Descent in the one-mile Las Virgenes Stakes (gr. I) on Saturday.

Zazu is out of the Mr. Greeley mare Rhumb Line, who won her first three starts before being well-beaten in Spoken Fur's 2003 Mother Goose Stakes (gr. I). Rhumb Line won twice at seven furlongs on dirt, and once at a mile on turf.

In addition to Zazu, Rhumb Line has produced the Officer filly Art Princess, second in the Cherry Hinton Stakes (gr. II) over six furlongs in England.

Tapit has two stakes winners from just seven starters out of Gone West line mares, and the cross is rated A++ on TrueNicks. Zazu's mating is intriguing, as both Pulpit (TrueNicks,SRO)—Tapit's sire—and Mr. Greeley carry Mr. Prospector in their second generation, with multiple strains of Bold Ruler. Zazu is inbred 4x5x5 to Mr. Prospector and 6x4x4 to Nijinsky II. Plus, Zazu's five strains of Bold Ruler are through four different sons—Boldnesian, Secretariat, What a Pleasure, and Reviewer.

A $285K yearling purchase, Zazu is named for the 1986 Rosie Vela album released by A&M Records. Zazu produced the mild UK hit "Magic Smile." Zazu is not named for the highbrow hornbill character from The Lion King. This Zazu is shown below as Simba's disapproving jungle chaperone.

Filed under:

10 Comments:

Things that make me go hmmmm. ...

JerseyTom 07 Feb 2011 5:35 PM

The fractions in this race were so ridiculous for a 2-turn race I'm not sure the result says much of anything.

JerseyTom 07 Feb 2011 5:38 PM

Man, that horse just knows how to race just like Zenyatta, doesn't she? LOL. Good going Zazu.

robin from michigan 07 Feb 2011 6:35 PM

kinda reminds me of another tapit filly--stardom bound

shesfast 07 Feb 2011 9:48 PM

Striking filly and an eerie resemblance in running style and, of course, ownership -- and also, I think, in the person who recommended her to the Mosses -- to Zenyatta!

Zen4Zen 08 Feb 2011 6:38 AM

Cheers to the letter "Z".  We've had some mighty good lady "Zs" lately!  Zarkava .... Zenyatta ... and now, hopefully, Zazu.

Spent Sunday morning replaying the 2011 Las Virgenes YouTube  .... quite exciting.   Not only talented as a racer, but Zazu is quite a looker, too, and according to Google, Rosie Vela was a well-known professional model at one time.  Wishing Zazu the best.

Hope the Mosses will stick to the music record theme when naming Zenyatta's (and others) foals.  Mixing daddy's name with mama's as one name .... is a no-no to this one.  Yikes!

Love 'em all 08 Feb 2011 9:42 AM

Oh how I am lovin it!  Zazu is music to my ears and is absolutely magic on the racetrack!  Another fairy tale story unfolding before our eyes?

My Love & Blessings to Zazu!!

LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri 08 Feb 2011 10:00 AM

Zazu - What a runner.  Z is great.  Zardana, Zensational and the others already mentioned.  she was magical to watch.

Good luck Mosses and Zazu.  Great trainer too.

Delrene Sims 09 Feb 2011 1:12 AM

I agree with Tom. The early fractions were a no doubter in regards to the finish. I thought Turbulent Descent was impeded twice at the 1/8th pole when Zazu step out in front of her twice, although very mildly. I would like to see a rematch, maybe in the Santa Anita Oaks at a 1 1/6th?. Both are wonderful filly's.

Sea The Stars 09 Feb 2011 5:52 AM

Zazu is a strong willed, high energy filly, who really developed significantly from weanling to fall yearling, grazing on the fertile Greentree division of Gainesway Farm in Lexington, Kentucky.  Zazu will likely move up on a tight dirt track, and be effective should Churchill come up Sloppy on KY Oaks day.  Good luck + safe trip to all.

Man on the Spot 01 May 2011 7:35 PM