Home

0629143
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Pedigree Time Machine: Brigadier Gerard

With all the attention currently (and deservedly) lavished on Frankel, it's probably worth giving a perspective on Brigadier Gerard, the horse that he's supplanted as miler of a lifetime.

"The Brigadier" had more humble beginnings than Frankel. Bred by John Hislop (an outstanding amateur jockey and noted breeding and racing writer), was by Queen's Hussar (a son of March Past, whose own sire, the Fair Trial horse Petition, was a talented miler who was humbled by the great Tudor Minstrel in the 2,000 Guineas of 1947). Queen's Hussar was accomplished miler in is own right, winning the Sussex Stakes and Lockinge Stakes. However, at the time that Brigadier Gerard's dam, La Paiva, visited him, he was standing for just 200 guineas, and he sired only 14 stakes winners in his stud career, with his only other top-class runner being The Queen's dual classic winner and foundation mare Highclere. La Paiva was by the French Derby winner Prince Chevalier, and had an acceptable, if not particularly fashionable, pedigree: she was a half sister to the 2,000 Guineas runner-up Stokes, and out of a half sister to two good stayers in Challenge and Fearless Fox. Her fifth dam was the "peerless" Pretty Polly, winner of 22 of her 24 starts, and an extremely important foundation mare.

Trained by Major Dick (later Sir Richard) Hern and ridden throughout his career by Joe Mercer, Brigadier Gerard was undefeated in four starts at 2, including the Washington Singer Stakes, Berkshire Stakes, and the Middle Park Stakes (England's premier six-furlong juvenile event), in which he crushed two really fast horses, Mummy's Pet and Swing Easy. Despite that record, Brigadier Gerard was rated only the third best of his crop, behind My Swallow, who had been undefeated in seven starts and had taken the French juvenile quadruple crown, and Mill Reef, whose only defeat came at the hands of My Swallow in the Prix Robert-Papin.

Brigadier Gerard's first 3-year-old start came in the 2,000 Guineas, and saw him tackle My Swallow, Mill Reef (the trio having won 18 of their 19 starts) and Nijinsky II's highly-rated brother, Minsky. The race was expected to lie between My Swallow and Mill Reef, but Brigadier Gerard burst past them in the closing stages to score an authorative three-length triumph. Brigadier Gerard then had a close call on the soft ground he hated in the St. James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot, but added the Sussex Stakes (by five lengths), the Goodwood Mile (by 10 lengths), the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (by eight lengths), and in his first try at 10 furlongs, the Champion Stakes, in which he had to battle to beat the Irish colt Rarity on heavy ground.

At 4, he kicked off in dominant vein, adding the one-mile Lockinge Stakes, and then at 10 furlongs the Westbury Stakes, the Prince of Wales's Stakes at Royal Ascot in a new course record, and the Eclipse Stakes. In the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, Brigadier Gerard tackled 1 1/2 miles for the first time. He duly won, but only after surving a 13 minute stewards' inquiry caused when he drifted in and crossed the runner-up Parnell.

Then came the Benson & Hedges Gold Cup (now the Juddmonte International). Run over 10 1/2 furlongs at York, the race was initially devised as a to bring about a second meeting between Brigadier Gerard and Mill Reef. As it was, Mill Reef was retired by time the race came along, but the event did draw Roberto and Rheingold, first and second in the English Derby that year. Roberto, under a furious drive from Lester Piggott, had narrowly beaten Rheingold at Epsom, but since then Roberto had flopped in the Irish Derby, while Rheingold had captured the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, causing Piggott to swap mounts. The ride on Roberto went to the American-based Panamian jockey Braulio Baeza. In the words of Raceform, "Braulio Baeza aboard Roberto was out of the stalls like a bat out of hell." They continued to dictate a furious pace, and although Brigadier Gerard drew almost alongside Roberto with a furlong to run, he could do no more, and Roberto edged away again for a three-length score, cutting about trhree seconds off the course record in the process.

Any number of theories have been advanced to explain the defeat, including that The Brigadier was not 100% himself that day (if memory serves well, his owner stated that a large clot of mucus came from his nose). However, time has proved that the King George/Juddmonte International is a very hard double to pull off, and all the more so for a horse like Brigadier Gerard who was running so far beyond his optimum trip in the King George. Our feeling is that in a race conducted at what was an unprecendent pace for England at that time, Roberto may have simply run the finish out of Brigadier Gerard, a horse whose best distance was probably a mile. None the worse for this defeat, Brigadier Gerard concluded his career in a blaze of glory, taking the one mile Queen Elizabeth Stakes II by six lengths in a new course record, and the 10-furlong Champion Stakes by 1 1/2 lengths over Riverman.

Retired to stud, Brigadier Gerard's early career might have been hampered by some of the conditions imposed by his owners (as I recall they included stipulations that his young stock could not be sold overseas). Ultimately, he proved far less successful than his great rival Mill Reef, siring 25 stakes winners in 14 crops. He did get a classic winner in the shape of St. Leger (gr. I) winner Light Cavalry. His only other group I winner was the Champion Stakes (gr. I) victor Vayrann (who turned out to be a disappointing sire). The most talented of his offspring might actually have been the French juvenile group winner General, who unfortunately had quite a difficult temperament. Sent to Argentina, General sired Lord At War, champion miler in his own country, and successful in the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) and San Antonio Handicap (gr. I) in the U.S. At stud, Lord At War did very well siring stakes winners, including grade I scorers John's Call, Honor In War, and La Gueriere. He's also done well as a broodmare sire, with such as Raven's Pass, War Emblem, No Matter What, Pioneerof the Nile (TrueNicks,SRO), Purim, Citronnade, and E Dubai (TrueNicks,SRO).

Brigadier Gerard's record as a broodmare sire wasn't a whole lot more impressive, although his daughters did produce a quartet of group/grade I winners in Antiqua (Laurel Futurity), Kings Island (Sunset Handicap), Mary Linoa (Prix Marcel Boussac), and Affinity (Caulfield Cup). Overall, though, apart from Lord At War, Brigadier Gerard's name is now very rarely seen in the pedigrees of top-class performers, and he stands as another example of the limited relationship between performance on the racetrack and achievements at stud.

None of this, of course, detracts from the superlative quality of his career, and while he may have conceded to Frankel his position as the best miler of the last 50 years or so, with group I-level wins at six, eight, 10, and 12 furlongs, Brigadier Gerard remains unmatched in terms of versatility at the highest level.

Filed under: , , ,

33 Comments:

I remember what a shock it was to the Brits that an American rider had pushed Roberto out over the Brigadier, who was not supposed to be beaten.  Despite his stud history, the Brigadier is still to be remembered.

p.s.  ironic that Roberto, the "lesser" runner became a foundation sire

mz 27 Jun 2012 5:30 PM

I had the greatest respect for the breeder of Brigadier

Gerard,John Hislop.As a young kid growing up in the 60,s I

used to look forward to his writings in the News Of The World every Sunday.After moving to Canada in 1970 I was over the moon when I heard he had bred this horse by Queen,s

Hussar as that horse had been a personal favourite of mine.

He may have not been the greatest winner of the Lockinge or

Sussex Stakes but he was an honest type that always give his

best.His sire March Past won the important Solario Stakes at

Sandown Park as a 2 year old and at 3 the classic trial at

Newbury,the Greenham Stakes.He also went on to win the Wokingham Stakes at Royal Ascot.His sire Petition won the 1946 Gimcrack Stakes at York and went on to be a good miler in his own right but of course got overshadowed by one of the best milers of all time,Tudor Minstrel.Frankel is a great horse it is not his fault he was not asked to race at

12 furlongs and i,m sure when he he get,s his chance to show his stuff at 10 furlongs he will do so with the great

racehorse that he is.This does not take anything away from

the brillance of Brigadier Gerard who always showed the

courage and honesty of his own sire,Queen,s Hussar.

John T 27 Jun 2012 8:55 PM

He was always my favorite horse. I used to write to the Hislops and they sent me personal photos of him.

I was at York races for the Benson and Hedges,my grand father took me to the August meet every year, this year was special as I was finally going to meet The Brigadier, I was heart broken when he was beaten by Roberto.

To me he is still the best miler I have seen but I must admit I have fallen in love with Frankel.

Donna 28 Jun 2012 6:37 AM

Alan... the Brigadier line is doing well in Uruguay, through Admiral's Launch, sire among others, of Mount Royal, Kanavayen, the Uruguayan Derby winner LORD BYRON sire of the grey 2000 Guineas & Derby winner Ocean Pearl, who is at stud.

Lord Byron also sired Nat King Cole (out of a mare called Dianna Ross) who was second in both the Guineas and the Jockey Club Stakes, this guy has sired a colt named Frank Sinatra (I kid you Not!)

Hal Dane. 28 Jun 2012 6:40 AM

It is of course unsurprising to me that Lord Byron has become such a prolific sire... :)

Byron Rogers 28 Jun 2012 11:13 AM

great reading. this is the stuff that needs to be published daily. this is what will make me stay hooked @ the computer. thanks , "an ole railbird."

an ole railbird 28 Jun 2012 12:56 PM

two comments:  first, to MZ, Roberto in no way was an inferior race horse to Gerard;  secondly Porter is perversely self serving when he says that Gerard stands as another example. etc., what breed influencing stallion was not an accomplished race horse?

jim of G 28 Jun 2012 1:42 PM

Given that some of the offspring of Brigadier Gerard could be quirky, we just hope that Lord Byron doesn't live up to the famed description of his namesake, as "bad, mad, and dangerous to know."

I well remember Admiral's Launch. He was bred by Dick Hollingsworth (Arches Hall Stud), and was a granddaughter of his great foundation mare, Felucca (whose descendents virtually all had nautically related names of some kind, including the Oaks winner Bireme).

Admiral's Launch won the listed Houghton Stakes on the second of two starts as a two-year-old, and looked like a really promising start when taking the Craven Stakes (gr. III) over the 2,000 Guineas course and distance first up at three. However, he only hit the board once in his six subsequent starts. His dam, Cutter, was by Donatello II, out of Felucca, which is interesting as Donatello II, like Brigadier Gerard, went back to Pretty Polly, and through Dutch Mary, a three-quarters-sister to the fourth dam of Brigadier Gerard. Ocean Pearl is inbred to Donatello II.

Anyway, I'm glad to here there is still a branch of the sire line still going!

Alan Porter 28 Jun 2012 1:50 PM

Jim of G: I never meant to imply that Roberto was an inferior race horse.  I only meant that since the Brigadier was never supposed to lose that race (a la Black Caviar or even Frankel today), it was a shock that Roberto won. I specifically put "lesser" in quotation marks for that very reason.

Ironic as well that Roberto was named for a great ball player and today's magic miler is named for a great trainer.

mz 28 Jun 2012 2:15 PM

Frankel is getting close but Brigadier Gerard is still unsurpased IMO

Ranagulzion 28 Jun 2012 6:32 PM

jim of G:

It baffles me how one can speak and criticize with such certainty without much basis for such opinions.

1. (the lessor important of your two positions): "...Roberto in no way was an inferior race horse to Gerard." Really; I think at look their overall race records-and assessments- clearly refute your position.

2. "...Porter is perversely self serving when he says that Gerard stands as another example, etc., what breed influencing stallion was not an accomplished racehorse?"---It pains me to even type out this quote. One doesn't often find so many errors in fact, comprehension and logic within just one sentence. -Alan's "...and he stands as another example of the limited relationship between performance on the racetrack and achievements at stud..." was an extremely well said, apropos, and accurate statement/message. Incidentally, taken within its context it points to the numerous elite racehorses that failed to succeed at stud. You, jim of G, rather are arguing/disputing/disagreeing with the near-inverse, i.e. that some elite/highly accomplished stallions were not great/ highly accomplished, etc. racehorses. Fact is that I, and I'm certain Alan also, would embrace this last (near-inverse) message as well. jim of G, not sure what is your definition of "accomplished race horse", but I strongly doubt that an *Alibhai would meet your criteria. How about a Black Toney? He was a good, but far from great runner, yet he became a true "breed shaper". Would Danzig's racing career fit your notion of an accomplished race horse? And, even should your definition of "breed shaping stallion" be so limited as to exclude any refuting examples I might offer, this difference/detail does in no way add credibility to your position relative to Alan's statement.

sceptre 28 Jun 2012 6:37 PM

Jim of G,

Sceptre actually replied more than adequately, and Alibhai was one excellent example.

In general terms there is a certain degree of ability that a horse needs to demonstrate to earn his place at stud, and a reasonable opportunity in terms of quantity and quality of mares.

Once you take a group of stallions that are going to get representative mares, then within that group, the correlation between racetrack achievement and stallion success will be very limited, especially considering that the stallions with the best race records will generally start with better mares.

There are a number of examples of siblings where the most accomplished racehorse was the inferior sire - Viceregal/Vice Regent; Devil's Bag/Saint Ballado; King Emperor/What Luck; and arguably Graustark/His Majesty.

To give a more recent example, if we look at the famous crop that had first foals of 2000, Formal Gold and Skip Away were a long way more accomplished runners than Distorted Humor and Elusive Quality, who retired to stud at $10,000.

Alan Porter 28 Jun 2012 8:55 PM

Hi Alan

As you have written "Petition Was A Talented Miler Who Was Humbled By The Great Tudor Minstrel in the 2000 Guineas of 1947"

I feel I would be very remiss if I did not relate the following story about the Gunieas of that year. Petition had been a top class 2 year old in 1946, besides winning the Gimcrack at York he also won the New Stakes at Ascot , the Richmond Stakes at Goodwood and the Champagne Stakes at Doncaster. The race chosen for him to make his 3 year old debut in 1947 was the 7 furlong Henry V111 Stakes at the now defunct Hurst Park which he won by 10 lengths. One of his opponents in that race was Sayajirao who would go on to finish third in the Guineas and Derby and win the St.Leger.

In the 2000 Guineas of 1947 there were no starting stalls in England in those days so Petition very much on his toes dashed into the the tapes and threw his jockey Dick Perryman who was able to remount and take part in the race. No one knew at the time but Petition had injured himself quite severely and in fact was not able to race again until July.

Given his fine resume as a 2 year old and his impressive first start as a 3 year old and a line through Sayajirao whom he had also beaten in the Gimcrack it's impossible to say what could have happened in the 1947 2000 Guineas.

John T 28 Jun 2012 9:18 PM

PS from my last post.

My mother and brother are going to the York meet in August to watch the Juddmonte International, formerly the Benson and Hedges.

I cannot go myself although I went to the October meet last year which brought back lots of great memories.

I have requested lots of photos of Frankel and Camelot, I hope Frankel wins the Juddmonte and Camelot wins the Triple Crown, I have lots of great memories watching Nijinsky and Lester Piggott.

Donna 29 Jun 2012 8:44 AM

Previous note should say "crop that had first foals of 2000."

Alan Porter 29 Jun 2012 10:16 AM

the truly breed shaping horses of the last century were all acc0omplished race horses and that includes Danzig despite his career ending injury after three races.  The horses I'm referring to are Man O war, Native Dancer, Bold Ruler Mr. Prospector, Northern Dancer, Secretariat Nearco, Nasrullah, Hyperion, Mahmoud, Danehill, Storm Cat, forty niner, Sunday Silence, Roberto, Nijinsky, His Majesty, Grustark(Brulio Beaza once said His Majesty couldn't shine Graustarks' shoes as a race horse) and I could go on but I think these horses more or less at random more than outweigh Alibhai who came from a well established Aga Khan family and who was training like a good horse before his unfortunate tendon problems)  I don't care who one is one can't say that there is a "limited relationship" between performance on the racetrack and achievement at stud.  Performance on the racetrack does not guarantee "achievement at stud" as Brigadier Gerard exemplifies.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word perverse in insinuating that Porter is trying to rationalize his own unscientific method of breeding, i.e. TrueNicks

jim of G 29 Jun 2012 1:27 PM

jim of G,

What are your thoughts on these guys?:

Whirlaway, Citation, Spectacular Bid, Slew o'Gold, Reference Point, Ferdinand, Alysheba, Dayjur, Arazi, Skip Away.

Ian Tapp 29 Jun 2012 5:16 PM

This is a fine article about Brig. Gerard and John Hislop who wrote Steeplechasing. Brig. Gerard sired General who sired Lord at War. This article also has tapes of the Brig. Gerard's races. I saw Dr. Von Leppel at dinner last night (Wayne's b-day) and he and Patrick Lawley-Wakelin think that Frankel's handlers won't let him run farther than 1 1/4 mile. Dr. Von L bred the grand dam of the German Derby's favorite Novelist who runs on Sunday.

ajkwf2#truvista.net,kassiekingsley@gmail.com 29 Jun 2012 5:40 PM

jim of G:

I guess this has to be spelled out to you in a more simplified manner-

You'll agree that the "shapers of the breed" (your term) are an extremely finite number when compared to all stallions (through history). So, even if you can demonstrate (which you can't) that every "shaper" was an "accomplished racehorse" (also, your term), it would not be a refutation of Alan's statement (the one you so vehemently objected to). I suppose, for some, it's difficult to appreciate/measure what is their own level (degree) of perspective and/or their relative ability to integrate same. Why?-because far too many of us are overly invested in our own opinions (sense of self). But, Alan's follow-up response (to you) should have given you enough pause not to respond in that manner. I must say the list you provided speaks volumes about your limited perspective. Secretariat, Forty Niner, Graustark shapers of the breed?-I don't think so! So tell me, who was the better stallion; Secretariat or Vice Regent, Ultimus, Lord Gaylord, Fairy Bridge, Night Shift, Black Toney...the list goes on? And, who was more the breed shaper; Secretariat, Forty Niner and Graustark or Ultimus, Black Toney, etc.? Fact is, it's nearly impossible for any stallion to succeed, let alone be an elite or, the rarest of all, a breed shaper without great SUPPORT (generally from the outset). You catch my drift? Perhaps more to the point: There are countless examples of poor performing racemares that became exceptional producers. The genetics of the male and female are essentially the same. So, the only difference here is that SUPPORT is a far less issue with broodmares than stallions.

sceptre 29 Jun 2012 6:13 PM

jim of G,

I think you are somewhat missing the point regarding athletic ability and success as a producer.

I'll try an analogy. You don't get to be a world-class endurance athlete (distance runner, cyclist, x-country skier for example) without a big VO2 max (a big ability to intake and process oxygen). However within a group of elite endurance athletes (all of whom have a big V02 max relative to the general population) V02 max is a poor guide to performance.

So with thoroughbred stallions. In general terms, one doesn't get to be a mainstream commercial stallion without a reasonable level of racecourse performance (Alibhai showed an exceptional level of brilliance in a workout). However, within the group of stallions that form that group (mainstream commercial stallions) racecourse ability is not a strong predictor of success as a stallion, or else we would be celebrating Formal Gold and Skip Away from the crop with first runners in 2000. Or you could look at the group that retired to stud in 2005 and chart the opposing courses of Smarty Jones and Tapit.

As far as TrueNicks is concerned, it is not, nor does it purport to be a "method of breeding." It is a statistically measurement of one aspect of the pedigree or prospect pedigree, albeit one that has demonstrated a significant correlation between a high score and success at stakes level.

Alan Porter 29 Jun 2012 7:12 PM

A wonderful article about Brigadier Gerard and his incredible race record with some videos. He is the grandsire of Lord at War and thiss article attributes Frankel's talent to him. Accordingly to Dr. Van Lippel and Patrick Lawlin-Wakely who I had dinner with last night, Frankel's handlers are afraid to run him at a longer distance.They should read this. Enjoy.

kassiekingsley@gmail.com,ajkwf2@truvista.net 29 Jun 2012 8:18 PM

Interesting debate between jim of G, Sceptre and Alan Porter about the "limited relationship" between performance on the racetrack and achievement at stud. jim of G rallied well in his response 29 Jun 2012 1:27 and I agree. The vast majority of influential sires were elite performers. It is in the broodmare dept that the "limited relationship" is pronounced. jim of G's rebuttal regarding Danzig and Alibhai was also noteworthy because those two showed great promise of being elite runners.

Ranagulzion 29 Jun 2012 9:26 PM

great race horses that were not as great at stud, they also were not failures either.  I'm disputing Porter saying Brigadier Gerard stands as an example of the limited relationship between performance on the track and achievement at stud.  He only stands as an example of a great racehorse that was not as great at stud.  May I remind you of what the greatest breeder/trainer of the last 100+ years Tesio said "The thoroughbred exists because its selection has depended, not on experts, technicians or zoologists, but on a piece of wood:  the winning post of the Epsom Derby.  If you base your criteria on anything else, you will get something else, not the thoroughbred".

jim of G 29 Jun 2012 11:17 PM

I'll keep this short-

I doubt that Tesio appreciated the difference between phenotype and genotype. jim of G (and Ranagulzion), do you understand the difference?

sceptre 30 Jun 2012 2:40 PM

Tesio was an intuitive genius when it came to horses.  You can't explain him, all you can do is marvel at his uniqueness.

there is nothing to breeding but "the best to the best and hope for the best.  There is no garden of eden, fountain of youth, or genotype or phenotype when  it comes to reproduction.  "experts, Technicians and zoologist are just stating the obvious, the barn door is now closed.  Not that this excruciating mental twisting in the wind isn't interesting especially in the hands of a gifted writer like Alan Porter along with the precious videos it's one of the things we humans do best along with using our thumbs and killing each other.  Long live the thoroughbred despite all attempts to put her in a bottle.

jim of G 30 Jun 2012 4:16 PM

Jim of G,

As you've said, Brigadier Gerard stands as "an example of a great racehorse that was not as great at stud." And that is the whole point.

If we take as a group, male thoroughbreds that qualified for a representative chance at stud in the last 50 years, as racehorse Brigadier Gerard takes very high rank, among the absolute best of that group. Among the same group, as a sire, with only two group one winners to his name from over 300 foals, Brigadier Gerard would take a pretty low rank, as one of most disappointing. Hence he stands as an excellent example of the disconnect between performance as a racehorse and as a producer.

Of course, we see it all the time - and it passes without comment - with mares, and it's very likely, were they to get an opportunity at stud we would see male equivalents of La Troienne (very modest racehorse, one of the greatest of producers and foundation mares). To degree, we can actually see this in the days when countries like Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and several South American jurisdictions, would import well-bred, but underperformed cast offs, who subsequently went on to sire top-class performers.

Alan Porter 30 Jun 2012 4:43 PM

Sceptre,

If your presumption about Federico Tesio's ignorance on the difference between phenotype and genotype is correct, I'd have to say that his ignorance was, in the good sense, truly blissful. I'd rather be found in company with a pedigree/breeding genius (of Nearco and Ribot fame)such as he.

Check this quote:"Federico Tesio will undoubtedly be remembered as the greatest Thoroughbred breeder of the 20th century.

He never had a large number of mares in his stud at any given time, did not spend a great deal of money on bloodstock and sold most of the best horses he bred.

Yet the blood of the horses he bred is found in about 75% of today's Thoroughbreds." ( www.hitechbloodstock.com/Federico%20Tesio.htm)

Ranagulzion 30 Jun 2012 4:47 PM

jim of G:

If "...the barn door is now closed" why should it be selectively "closed" only for the breeding of racehorses, yet remain ajar for the nearly infinite advances in most other disciplines?

sceptre 30 Jun 2012 10:15 PM

Jim of G .... may I be the last to correct you.             The brains behind Dormello, was Lydia Tesio, not Federico, it was her idea to mate Nogara with Pharos in the spring of 1934, she also bred the SIRE and DAMSIRE of Ribot.

The only part Federico played in the breeding of either Nearco or Ribot, was when he decided to mate Romanella with Tenerani in the spring of 1951.

Hal Dane. 01 Jul 2012 6:16 AM

Ranagulzion:

Issac Newton may have been acknowledged as the best scientific mind of his time. Even if we grant that he was, it does not follow that his "laws", principles, or methods were above future scrutiny and as knowledge improved subject to revision leading us, perhaps, closer to reality.

sceptre 01 Jul 2012 11:20 PM

Re;- Lydia Tesio.

Is it not surprising that there is no mention of women breeders in the volumes of the Early Stud Books.?, in Vol 1, of the GSB, you do come across a reference to Miss Betty Darcy's Pet Mare.. now according to some records, the three known produce of The Pet Mare were owned by Mr Robinson, Mr Wilkes and Sir J Parsons, it seems probable that Miss Darcy bred all of them and sold them.. as logically, if one of these Gents owned The Pet Mare, all her produce would belong to him.

But generally the owners or breeders of produce listed for each mare are either Lords or Gentlemen even Clergy.. but no women.?, we know for a fact that ladies of that period (and class) had an abundance of time on their hands with their many servants.. is it possible that NONE  were interested in what their husbands were doing and contributed their opinion and suggestions.?, how many famous classic winners in history were actually bred by the wives or daughters of the owners.?

Hal Dane. 03 Jul 2012 11:43 AM

Nice touch on Ms.Tesio, she certainly deserves more credit publicly.   I think though the best horse they bred was Cavaliere d'Arpino. Fredrico always said that was the best quality horse he bred.

Physically Imposing Fifty Proof 03 Jul 2012 2:40 PM

It does not matter that Brigadier Gerard did not win this race in 1972. No one who knows anything about thoroughbred racing would call him less than a great racehorse. But this Frankel is something very special.

John T 22 Aug 2012 8:25 PM