Home

0624726
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

The Shock of the New: Stallions of 2013

Checking the TrueNicks website, we were somewhat shocked to find just how many new sires have already been declared for the 2013 breeding season. There is quite a lot to keep track of, so to try and ensure none get overlooked when making breeding plans for 2013, here is a very quick overview of the new sires of 2013 that are currently enrolled on the TrueNicks site.

Baryshnikov (TrueNicks,SRO) (Empire Maker–Ski Dancer, by Baldski; Oak Lodge USA, Paris, KY, $5,000) is a stakes winner over over $350,000 who was also four times graded stakes-placed. A son of Empire Maker, his dam was a two-time graded winner, and also grade I-placed.

Big Surf (TrueNicks) (Storm Cat–Surfside, by Seattle Slew; Royal Pegasus, Lexington, KY). This 2-year-old winning son of Storm Cat was exported to Azerbaijan for 2009, but has returned to stand in Kentucky for the coming year. He's certainly got the pedigree, as he is out of champion 3-year-old filly Surfside, who in turn is by Seattle Slew out of champion 2-year-old filly Flanders.

Bodemeister (TrueNicks) (Empire Maker–Untouched Talent, by Storm Cat; WinStar, Versailles, KY, $TBA) was one of the most exciting performers of 2012, breaking his maiden by 9 1/4 lengths, taking the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) by 9 1/2 lengths, then producing flamboyant front-running displays to take second in both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes (both gr. I). He's one of the best by his classic-winning sire, Empire Maker, who is enjoying another outstanding year, with Bodemeister being joined by such as Royal Delta, Grace Hall, and In Lingerie. The dam, Untouched Talent, won two stakes at 2, including the Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) and took second in the Del Mar Debutante (gr. I). The granddam is a graded stakes-winning daughter of A.P. Indy, out of a stakes-winning daughter of Roberto, and the fourth dam is a stakes performer by Nijinsky II, so this is a thoroughly classic pedigree.

Caleb's Posse (TrueNicks,SRO) (Posse–Abbey's Missy, by Slewacide; Three Chimneys Farm, Midway, KY, $TBA). An sprinter/miler ace who carried his speed to win graded company at up to 8 1/2 furlongs, Caleb's Posse consistently ran tremendous numbers, and owns three of the top 10 Beyer speed figures of 2012 at up to a mile. Caleb's Posse is from the Deputy Minister line through Silver Deputy and his leading freshman sire son Posse, also sire of champion sprinter Kodiak Kowboy, and 2012 grade I-winning juvenile Rolling Fog.

Cal Nation (TrueNicks,SRO) (Distorted Humor–She's a Winner; by A.P. Indy, Merryland Farm, MD, $3,500), broke his maiden by 7 3/4 lengths going seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park in 1:22.02. He went on to become a multiple allowance scorer, and to be multiple graded-placed, including a third in the Carry Back Stakes (gr. II). He's a half brother to Bluegrass Cat, winner of the Haskell Invitational Stakes (gr. I), graded winner Lord of the Game, and stakes winner Sonoma Cat. The dam is a sister to the dam of Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Super Saver and graded scorer Brethren (by the same sire as Cal Nation), and a sister to grade I-winning sprinter Girolamo. This is also the immediate family of Not For Love, a son of Cal Nation's great-grandsire, Mr. Prospector, who has long been a dominant force in the Maryland sire colony.

Gemologist (TrueNicks) (Tiznow–Crystal Shard, by Mr. Prospector; WinStar Farm, Versailles, KY, $TBA). Having gone three-for-three at 2, including the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr. III), Gemologist returned to fulfill his promise at 3, beating grade I winner Currency Swap by seven lengths in a Gulfstream Park allowance event, then defeating Alpha by a neck in the Wood Memorial Stakes (gr. I). He lost his undefeated defeated record in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), a race he exited with a bruised foot. A son of Tiznow, whose first son with runners, Tiz Wonderful, is off to a promising start, Gemologist is out of the multiple stakes-producing Mr. Prospector mare Crystal Shard, a sister to multiple graded stakes winner Withallprobability, herself granddam of grade I winner Summer Colony. The granddam is Northern Dancer's graded winning daughter Sulemeif.

Hansen (TrueNicks) (Tapit–Stormy Sunday, by Sir Cat; location/$TBA). The charismatic gray earned honors as champion 2-year-old after going three-for-three, with victories in the Kentucky Cup Juvenile Stakes and Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I). At 3, he took the Gotham Stakes (gr. II) and had 10 lengths to spare at the wire in Iowa Derby (gr. III), and was as a very game second in the Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) and the Holy Bull Stakes. Hansen is the leading son of his sire, stallion sensation Tapit, and is a product of the very successful cross of his sire line, Tapit/Pulpit/A.P. Indy, over Storm Cat line mares.

Macho Rocket (TrueNicks) (Macho Uno–La Defense, by Wild Again; Starfish Stable LLC, Hot Springs, AR, $1,000) was a 2-year-old winner on his only start, defeating eventual stakes winner Fed Biz. He's by a champion 2-year-old who is enjoying a good year at stud with such as Mucho Macho Man, Macho Macho, and Potesta. Bred on the same cross as grade I winner Macho Again, he's out of the stakes-producing Wild Again mare La Defense, a half sister to graded winner Noisette and stakes winner Roi Maudit.

Morning Line (TrueNicks,SRO) (Tiznow–Indian Snow, by A.P. Indy; Lane's End Farm, Versailles, KY, $TBA). Won the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) over nine furlongs at 3, but was also very effective as a sprinter/miler, missing a head in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) at 3 and taking the Carter Handicap (gr. I) at 4. He is one of the growing number of sons of Tiznow at stud, and is as well-bred as any, his dam, Indian Snow, being by A.P. Indy out Storm Cat's multiple grade I-winning daughter November Snow.

Revolving (TrueNicks) (A.P. Indy–Circle of Life, by Belong to Me; Stonehedge Farm South, Ocala, FL, $TBA). A winning son of A.P. Indy, Revolving is a half brother to the excellent Circular Quay, winner of the Hopeful Stakes (gr. I), Louisiana Derby (gr. II), New Orleans Handicap (gr. II), and Bashford Manor Stakes (gr. III). The dam won the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I) and was placed in three other graded stakes, two of them grade I.

Shackleford (TrueNicks) (Forestry–Oatsee, by Unbridled; Darby Dan Farm, Lexington, KY, $TBA). Classic winner of the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) last year, Shackleford has stamped himself as one of the top sprinter/milers of 2012 with victories in the Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I) and Churchill Downs Stakes (gr. II). A grandson of Storm Cat, he is out of Oatsee, a stakes-placed daughter of Unbridled who has turned out to be a remarkable producer, as she is also dam of the Alabama Stakes (gr. I) heroine Lady Joanne, multiple graded stakes winner Baghdaria, and Afleeting Lady and Stephanoatsee, one a stakes winner this year and the other stakes-placed. This is also the family of sires Gone West, Known Fact, and Tentam.

Star Guitar (TrueNicks) (Quiet American–Minit Towinit, by Malagra; Clear Creek Stud, Folsom, LA, $TBA) is a Louisiana legend. An earner of almost $1,750,000, Star Guitar captured 22 stakes events, winning black-type contests in six straight seasons, including three consecutive renewals of both the Premier Night Championship and the Louisiana Champions Day Classic. His dam, by another Louisiana stalwart, Malagra, is a multiple stakes winner and is dam of additional stakes winners Gran Minit and Favorite Minit.

Take Charge Indy (TrueNicks) (A.P. Indy–Take Charge Lady, by Dehere; WinStar Farm, Versailles, KY, $TBA). Graded stakes-placed at 2, Take Charge Indy upset a field that included Union Rags, leading from wire-to-wire, to take the Florida Derby (gr. I). In addition to being a son of A.P. Indy, Take Charge Indy is out of Take Charge Lady, whose credits include the Ashland Stakes (gr. I) and a pair of Spinster Stakes (gr. I). The second dam is the excellent producer Felicita, also dam of stakes winners Commendation and Eventail, and granddam of graded winner Straight Story.

The Factor (TrueNicks,SRO) (War Front–Greyciousness, by Miswaki; Lane's End Farm, Versailles, KY, $15,000). One of the fastest of his generation at 2, 3, and 4, The Factor immediately drew attention to himself when he clocked 1:06.98 for six furlongs on his debut, albeit on a particularly slick Santa Anita surface. Subsequently, he added the Malibu Stakes (gr. I), Pat O'Brien Stakes (gr. I), San Vicente Stakes (gr. II), San Carlos Stakes (gr. II), and stretching his speed 8 1/2 furlongs, the Rebel Stakes (gr. II). The Factor is the leading son of the Danzig sprinter War Front, who has made such an explosive start with his relatively inexpensively-sired early crops.

To Honor and Serve (TrueNicks) (Bernardini–Pilfer, by Deputy Minister; Gainesway, Lexington, KY, $TBA). The highest earner for his sire, To Honor and Serve showed his potential at 2, by taking the Remsen Stakes (gr. II) and Nashua Stakes (gr. II). He added the Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II), and the Cigar Mile Handicap (gr. I) at 3 when defeating older horses. This term, he's captured the Westchester Stakes (gr. III) and Woodward Stakes (gr. I). Out of a stakes-winning Deputy Minister mare, To Honor and Serve is from a branch of the Darby Dan family that has has also supplied Dynaformer and top Japanese sire Brian's Time, both of whose dams are closely related to To Honor and Serve's fourth dam, graded winner Java Moon.

Union Rags (TrueNicks,SRO) (Dixie Union–Tempo, by Gone West; Lane's End Farm, Versailles, KY, TBA). Union Rags was one of the most charismatic and members of his crop. At 2, he won his first three starts, including the Saratoga Special (gr. II) and Champagne Stakes (gr. I), then narrowly lost the Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) following a late race swerve. He kicked off 2012 with an impressive win in the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II), encountered traffic problems in both the Florida Derby (gr. I) and Kentucky Derby (gr. I), but then found classic redemption—in what turned out to be his final start—with a last gasp win over Paynter in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I). By Dixieland Band's leading stallion son, he is a half brother to the dam of European stakes winners Vertiformer and Declaration of War. The granddam, Terpsichorist, is a multiple graded stakes-winning daughter of Nijinsky II and the Irish 1,000 Guineas heroine Glad Rags II.

Filed under: , ,

30 Comments:

Pretty bad when this whole list of stallions are practically all sprinter/Milers......

Physically Imposing Fifty Proof 11 Oct 2012 11:41 AM

Physically Imposing Fifty Proof,

10 of the 16 stallions here were graded stakes winners beyond a mile, including:

Union Rags (12f)

Shackleford (9.5f)

Bodemeister (9f)

Gemologist (9f)

Morning Line (9f)

Take Charge Indy (9f)

To Honor and Serve (9f)

Hansen (8.5f)

The Factor (8.5f)

Caleb's Posse (8.5f)

Ian Tapp 11 Oct 2012 1:38 PM

I'd rank Macho Rocket #1. To me, his lone start was rather eye-popping. Loved the way he moved, and the guts he displayed. Understand his very premature retirement was caused by tendon/suspensory issues.

sceptre 11 Oct 2012 3:42 PM

And now Jackson Bend can be added to that list.

Of the the horses listed and JB, the two that stand out are Star Guitar and Jackson Bend. Both were tough, durable, tested and proven. Jackson Bend has raced 28 times & Star Guitar has 30. You'd have to put the records of 3 or 4 of the other horses together to get that many. And they will probably be a much better price than most of the others. Hmmm....

Karen in Indiana 11 Oct 2012 4:10 PM

Sorry Ian.

But that list as potential stallions is just not intriguing.  I can see certain horses like take Charge Indy, Gemologist,THAS, and Bodemeister as potential stallions with their pedigree.

That said...tell me I am wrong(and you will) that half the list are nothing more then glorified Milers, how is that even close to being intriguing?.

Bodiemeister won ONE race at 9f, and was game as heck in the two classics...he gets a pass IMO.  Great Horse. Will never know how good he could have been.

Shackleford has yet to win at any distance over 8f since the preakness.

Caleb's Posse retired as the top miler in the country, he was pointed to 7-8f races for the 99% of his success in graded stakes.

The Factor - is a Sprinter Period. I don't care about his rebel win at 8.5f.  He was campaigned as a sprinter.

Hansen- Aside from the Juvenile the only time he won after that was vs extremely week fields in GR2's and GR3's...where is that GR1 over a middle distances as a 3yr old?. throw out his Juvenile win, and he is a GR3 horse at best over 7-8.5f

To honor and Serve has 60% of his wins in graded stakes from 7-8f , aside from the Woodward this year he has been predominantly campaigned at a mile in Stakes races. Nice horse though.

Union Rags- ran the second slowest Belmont (over good ground) in history.  aside from that him running at 8.5f was stretching it..

and again PRACTICALLY all the horses...not ALL the horses listed.

Lammtarra'sArc 11 Oct 2012 8:14 PM

Too bad Winstar retires 3 year olds:  Bode, Gem, Take Charge Indy.  Not in the best interest of racing, but big stallion bucks.

skyfire 11 Oct 2012 8:48 PM

I wish they would limit the amount of mares a stallion can cover. There are so many unwanted horses, inc. well bred TB's that didn't make the grade. Until there is a pension plan for OTTB's the problem will be added to every mating season.

JSmith 11 Oct 2012 8:58 PM

Great line up but concerning the reason so many retired so young.

stephadam 11 Oct 2012 10:07 PM

I remember when a horse with "stamina" was a horse that ran at least 10 furlongs and up to 2 miles. I certainly don't call a horse that wins at 8.5 or 9 furlongs a stayer. Everyone wants to win the Triple Crown, but how can they do that when these horses are consistently bred specifically to run 9 furlongs or less?

Maybe if the distances on some stakes were increased and more emphasis was put on durability than crazy speed at two and three, this would change. It bothers me that so many colts are already retired by June of their 3-year-old year due to injury, and then enter the breeding pool to breed 150-plus mares a year.

Terry M. 12 Oct 2012 2:05 AM

well four super talents that could have impact

union rags bodemeister  to honor and serve and i read stay thirsty is done racing

michael 12 Oct 2012 2:08 AM

Bode is the best of the bunch by daylight.  Love Star Guitar's outstanding body of work the best.

Jman 12 Oct 2012 10:31 AM

Midnight Lute,

I guess I think of it differently. I realize people like to romanticize the past of horse racing: the war horses, the 2-mile Jockey Club Gold Cups, etc. But that's not reality of the current North American thoroughbred. We don't breed for 12f+, we breed for 2 and 3yo performance up to 8-9 furlongs and the best ones get additional distance on class. I'm not convinced it's a bad thing that our best horses aren't 2-mile horses. Does anyone criticize Usain Bolt for being "just a sprinter"?

Ian Tapp 12 Oct 2012 10:33 AM

Ian Tapp,

Is it a bad thing we can't breed horses who can't stand a Triple Crown campaign without getting hurt? You bet it is. Is it a bad thing we glorify hot 2yos who win a 5.5f race by 10 l, then can't race again and goes to stud to produce more of his like? You bet it is.

Demanding long campaigns, comebacks for the 2yos and 3yos who don't complete that season, and restoration of the prestige of staying races for stallions is the only way to reverse the trend to 6f horses who are not Thoroughbreds in the truest sense of the word.

The German breeding association demands that a horse earn a certain level on their Free Handicap at 3 before it can stand in Germany, and their Derby winners race at 4 and often beyond, racing at classic distances. Guess where breeders in Europe are looking to fortify their weakening stock these days? Urban Sea was half-German and her sons Galileo and Sea the Stars dominated in the stud and on the track. Manduro (GER) was the Horse of the World a few years back. From an industry with only a few thousand broodmares in the stud.

Pedigree Ann 12 Oct 2012 11:14 AM

Nice report Alan,  Sure does look like there are some potentially nice stallions in this line up. I haven't looked at all of them yet but have been thinking about a few of them for a little while now. Shackleford, Bodemeister, and Take Charge Indy all look highly influential. You gotta love their bottom lines. Bode has that great Secretariat influence, Shack has Tamerett, Belthazar, and Aspidistra blood, and Take Charge Indy's dam Take Charge Lady is take charge terrific. Looks like some really nice babies could be a hatching out and scampering around in a coulpe years,  yee-haa !!!

Bill Rinker 12 Oct 2012 11:46 AM

Pedigree Ann,

People were saying similar things during the 25 years between Citation and Secretariat, that the breed was no longer capable of producing a TC winner. You say we can't breed horses who can do it; I'd say a bigger part of it is that we don't train horses to do it. Like you say, today's racing environment and things we "glorify" are different now.

Ian Tapp 12 Oct 2012 11:56 AM

Pedigree Ann,

There is no doubt that the exacting standards that the German breeding industry has had benefits but they also use estimated breeding values and have requirements for stallions to race lasix free if they are to be participate in their breeder awards.

You are right. Selection pressures on a population occur based on the environment that they are placed in. The fact that the American thoroughbred has homogenized to a mile to a mile and a sixteenth type is purely a result of reducing the distances of races like the JC Gold Cup and other longer races and making the focus on a Derby at 10f and an Oaks at just 9f.

There is also something to be said about durability, but it is not measured well in this industry (this may change shortly) and there is usually a tradeoff between class and durability anyway (good horses are usually pushing physiological limits).

Byron Rogers 12 Oct 2012 2:39 PM

Here we go again...

I disagree with some of Pedigree Ann's and Byron's remarks.

I don't feel that this time gap in Triple Crown wiinners should be considerd as evidence for the breed's lessened durability/soundness. There are many varibles at play here, and as Ian mentioned there have been long gaps before-when the population was significantly smaller. There appears also to be a greater homogeneity to today's population-more difficult to produce one standout. In the 50+ yrs that I've followed the sport, I've seen no appreciable difference in the attrition rate re-the Triple Crown trail...Yes, we have been selecting for an ever lessening "classic" distance-type, but I doubt this bears much on the non-Triple Crown winner issue. I don't agree with Byron that the breed's direction toward lower (distance) aptitudes was primarily, or even remotely caused by the "shortening" of many of our classic-type races, but rather that our preference for the more brilliant-type thoroughbed has caused the change in those races. Through the course of time it appears that we have tended to increasingly opt for the more brilliant-type thoroughbred. I think it may have stemmed from the observation long ago by breeders that infusing pedigrees with more speed led to greater racetrack success. Yes, we may have gone too far, as some today could argue that this direction has caused a less aesthetically pleasing animal, and less variety in the races we view...As to those who condemn the use of lightly raced/or early retired stallions, I suggest you research the racing and stallion careers of many of yesterday's and today's most successful/influential stallions...To those who laud the German breeding program-why is it that German racers have less starts/yr than here in the US? Urban Sea is far from, genetically, 50% German "blood", and how certain are you re- their methods for identifying "bleeders"-is endoscoptic evaluation routine?

sceptre 12 Oct 2012 4:50 PM

The problem I have with the list, is they are all at stud due to retirement as a result of an injury...therefore I would not breed to that as I don't want to breed weakness. Need to improve not diminisj.

karen 12 Oct 2012 6:15 PM

Brilliant Speed is not a sprinter or miler and will be standing at Three Chimmneys in 2013.

big john t 12 Oct 2012 11:14 PM

Have not seen where a farm has picked up Hansen yet, if you know who?

America does not want a long distance horse point in fact I'll Have Another is now in Japan, but all those that ran behind him have a place here in the states. Sort of like Sunday Silence.

Cyd 13 Oct 2012 9:53 AM

In regards to Sceptre...This less about triple crown winners, and more about triple crown hopefuls who don't even make it to the fall....but no problem soon you will see the K.Derby run at 8.5f, the preakness 8f, and the Belmont 9f...keep shortening it up like they did with all the other big handicap races.

ARRRRGGGHHH!! 13 Oct 2012 5:22 PM

a triple crown winner might come from a female that has recently retired or still running they are breed great

like zenyatta rachel alexandra royal delta my miss aurelia it's tricky plum pretty grace hall blind luck havre de grace rags to riches

michael 13 Oct 2012 10:09 PM

Michael, That's a nice group of mares you mentioned, and I tend to agree. Rachel and Her Curlin and the coming Bernardini's foal's should be quite capable of getting a classic distance. Ditto Zenyatta's Bernardini weanling. The mating of her for 2013 to Tapit is intriguing in the respect that your breeding a big mare who's distance capabilities are well known bred to a stallion who throw's precocity to his offspring who have been brilliant up to 8.5 to 9 furlongs. Could we get a foal who can carry that Tapit speed well over a mile ?..That would be something to see.

Foals from Royal Delta should also be able to get a good distance of ground given the Empire Maker and Ap Indy right up front in her pedigree, depending on who she is bred to.

A lot of people won't like this, but I think Union Rag's will be a good sire and im willing to bet he will get some very nice mares. He showed moments of sheer brilliance at 2 and his game win over Paynter in the Belmont was thrilling to watch and showed his true courage squeezing through that little opening.  It has been my opinion all along he was a special colt and sadly we never got to see the true extent of his talent. I stood beside him at Fair Hill and have never seen a more stunningly beautiful and physically imposing horse (I stood beside Aruna and Animal Kingdom the same day). I know Lane's End is very excited about his future and legacy of the Dixieland Band sire line. I expect My Miss Aurelia to go to Union Rag's..She's an A++ with him, and it's been rumored for several months that will be her first mating.

Since Rag's to Riches is Coolmore owned and in Ireland,  her offspring will most likely race there. Only the 3 yr old Giants Causeway filly has a name so far, Opulence. Her racing career was sidlined with a sesamoid injury early in her 2 yr old season. Rag's to Riches other two are a 2011 Henrythenavigator colt and a 2012 Galileo colt. I believe she was bred to Sea the Stars for 2013, but it could have been Galileo again. (I've forgotten, But I'm sure Ian will let me know)I also think the rest of those ladies have a good chance at producing an extremely talented offspring, particularly Havre De Grace and Grace Hall.

All in all I think the top five horses on this list for making it as sires are, Bodemeister (Empire Maker),  Gemologist (Tiznow), Morning Line (Tiznow), Union Rag's (Dixie Union)and Star Guitar (Quiet American) although his success may be regional unless some Kentucky breeders send their mares south.

Algorithms joined the list of retiree's today. Can't remember where he is going to be at stud but it's a done deal.

I predict The Factor and Hansen will be siring a whole crop of grey phenoms who will hit the skids once they approach a mile.

Criminal Type 15 Oct 2012 2:40 PM

Yes yes just like Paul "Bear" Bryant said lots of potential which means they haven't done it yet! $25k,$35K for horses who have small or no chance of making it as a real sire no 6% but 9-10% stakeswinners like the indust4ry needs today!

Bruce 15 Oct 2012 3:15 PM

the fact you have a horse in rags to riches the only female h to win the belmont at 12 furlongs and a potential talent that could be great with her foals from galileo henrythenavigator that would not happen is puzzing to me

michael 17 Oct 2012 1:02 AM

I do think that alot of American breeders are focused on breeding to speed oriented sires!Looking through the stallion register you can make a case for many of these Stallions to be culled!I agree with many of the Germans  qualifications for stallions . Pedigree Ann made alot of good points !

Weekend Surprise 17 Oct 2012 2:26 PM

Nice list of new stallions.The Factor had brilliant speed that breeders like.Bodemeister showed so much guts in his two classic races he has to be near the top of the new class.Most horses with that sizzling of a pace in the Derby would have faded by 20 lenghts.If he passes that determination to his offspring look out!!Gemologist looks intresting as Tiznow's sons are now coming to stud.He could be a sleeper.Another sleeper could be Take Charge Indy what a page he has being by Take Charge Lady a brilliant runner who gave Azeri all she could handle.

NoComp 18 Oct 2012 1:26 PM

I noticed you did not post my comment , I hope it wasnt misunderstood ! When I mentioned culling certain stallions , I did not mean the ones you had listed ! Every mating should be carefully thought out ,no matter what the price range ! The last thing we need are horses that are doomed from the start ! We all know what happens to these poor animals !

Weekend Surprise 22 Oct 2012 9:45 AM

It's premature to speculate on his future success, but I have a Turkoman mare (Turkola out of Pocket Liner by Full Pocket)that I booked this year to Indygo Mountain (A P Indy out of Mountain girl by Mountain Cat).

Aside from being an exceptionally good looking mare with all the tools, she hasn't done anything; never raced and her foals records are less than stellar.

He (Indygo Mountain), on the other hand, showed exciting promise in the races he ran. Aside from injury he could've been fantastic on the track.

My thinking is that the A P Indy/Alydar cross through Turkoman, which I don't see in many might get me something special.

Sandcreek 29 Oct 2012 6:46 AM

Perhaps we will all be looking at Japan for the next great TB's...after all they've got some of our best and brightest.

(Summer Bird will be the next stallion imported to Japan) First our stallions, now our stellar racing mares - how can they not succeed? Sadly these horses will not be available to continue their American bloodlines, but they will be appreciated and developed in Japan. I look to the Japanese to produce our future Triple Crown horses. They will have to travel a distance to get to the races - but that's what a classic horse does.

Grande Fan 13 Nov 2012 8:09 PM