Home

0605414
Ratings Generated in 2014
Featured Stallion

Poll Question: Zen, Rachel, Rags, or 'Kova?

Your task is simple: select one of these champion female racehorses as a broodmare prospect, and explain your reasoning in the comments below.

Goldikova has become a poster girl for keeping good racehorses in training. After a multi-championship season and back-to-back Breeders’ Cup Miles, the daughter of outstanding Danzig stallion Anabaa returned to race as a 5-year-old. In her seasonal debut, she dominated the Prix d’Ispahan (gr. I) in record time, looking – somehow – better than ever. Goldikova’s next target is Tuesday’s hot renewal of the Queen Anne Stakes (gr. I) at Royal Ascot. Goldikova will bid for a third Breeders’ Cup Mile this fall at Churchill Downs, the site where her trainer Freddie Head rode Miesque to her second Mile victory in 1988. As a point of consideration, Miesque was a phenomenal broodmare, producing four group winners, including influential stallion Kingmambo (TrueNicks,SRO) and French Highweight East of the Moon.

Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra will make her next appearance against a short field in Saturday’s Fleur de Lis Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs. Two narrow losses to open her 4-year-old campaign have taken some luster off her 2009 crown, but there can be no denying Rachel’s brilliance displayed in her monumental 3-year-old season. She combined speed, stamina, and determination to post two 20-length wins and three grade I victories over males. Rachel Alexandra is a daughter of Medaglia d'Oro (TrueNicks,SRO) and the stakes-winning Roar mare Lotta Kim.

Rags to Riches was racing’s darling of 2007 after she out-gamed eventual Horse of the Year Curlin (TrueNicks,SRO) to win the Belmont Stakes (gr. I). The daughter of A.P. Indy (TrueNicks,SRO) won a total of four grade I events, including the Kentucky Oaks, before injury cut her exciting career short. Retired to the breeding shed, Rags to Riches has a yearling filly by Giant's Causeway (TrueNicks,SRO), a strapping colt foal by Henrythenavigator (TrueNicks,SRO), and was covered this season by Irish-based champion sire Galileo. Top broodmare Better Than Honour, who sold for $14-million at the 2008 Fasig-Tipton November sale, is the dam of Rags to Riches, making her a half sister to 2006 Belmont winner Jazil (TrueNicks,SRO), Peter Pan Stakes (gr. I) winner Casino Drive, and Breeders’ Cup Marathon winner Man of Iron.

Considering Zenyatta’s glowing résumé, it feels unsatisfying to see her running in the Vanity Handicap (gr. I) this weekend instead of what would’ve been a stellar Stephen Foster (gr. I). But we can look forward to the rest of her season, which includes a possible tilt at repeating her thrilling win in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I). On Sunday, Zenyatta will be odds-on to extend her perfect streak to 17-for-17. Unquestionably one of the all-time greats, Zenyatta is an imposing daughter of Street Cry (IRE) (TrueNicks,SRO) and half sister to grade I winner Balance.

Resources to help you manage your broodmare band:

• Broodmare Analysis Report: This research tool allows you to run any 50 stallions of your choosing against your mare. The report ranks the stallions by nick rating and Broodmare Sire Improvement Index. See a sample report for Rachel Alexandra.
  • View all the stallions subscribed to TrueNicks to run FREE reports, compliments of the stud farm. All hypothetical reports give the nick rating, 5-cross pedigree, and top 5 best horses bred on the cross.

Filed under: ,

60 Comments:

Zenyatta has been unbeaten and proven herself for 4 years!Her temperament is great; she's a ham and loves people - must be a delight to be around.  I love the others too. But Zen gets my vote!

I hope the rest of her career goes well! It will be interesting to see which stallion gets the first "honor" with this beautiful mare!

CURLINLOVER 10 Jun 2010 7:34 AM

I think Rags to Riches is the best broodmare prospect considering the female family behind her is still producing excellent racehorses. Peeping Fawn, Thewayyouare, Cascading, Jazil, Casino Drive- her page is full of a who's who of racing.

Toral 10 Jun 2010 7:53 AM

Rags won the "Test of Champions" over the "Horse of the Decade" and top world Timeform rated champion...that, with her family, makes her the "ultimate babe" in my barn!

To me, she's still the most beautiful race horse I ever saw.

Rachel 10 Jun 2010 9:03 AM

Rags to Riches will always be my girl. I think she'll be another Toussaud in the breeding shed. I can't wait to see those babies get to the track

MRO 10 Jun 2010 9:05 AM

Rachel! Please remember that CURLIN had had a grueling season by Belmont time, while Rags was all fresh! Might want to keep that in mind when judging! Rags is a great horse; but the race with CURLIN did her in pretty much - never heard from her since.  CURLIN went on to greatness! Even Secretariat lost races! So, put everything into perspective, please!

CURLINLOVER 10 Jun 2010 9:26 AM

Based on bloodlines alone, hands down Rags to Riches.  Through her sire she has Secretariat and Seattle Slew blood, the top broodmare sire and one of the top broodmare sires that the United States has produced.  Medaglia D'Oro and Street Cry are too young to have produced any grandchildren of running age with Rachel and Zenyatta being first crops.  Danzig was a sire of sires, ie  is there a bad Danehill son, grandson at stud?  Not so sure about his broodmares.  I am very interested to see Rags filly next year.  Eskendereya is out of Giant's Causeway and Aldebaren Light by Seattle Slew, so hopefully she will be just as exciting.

AukBlues22 10 Jun 2010 9:50 AM

I have to go with Zenyatta. In my fictional breeding shed,I'm looking for stamina,moreso than speed. Queen Zen has that stamina. All one has to do is watch her race. She was barely winded after her BC Classic,still full of pep,ears still pricked. Someday,maybe once they're POSITIVE she'll retire (personally,I'd like to see her race at 7 and up!),I'd like her people to put her on the track and let her go,see how long she goes before she tires. Just curious about that!  LOL

The fact that The Zen-Meister is a ham,full of personality,and yet a "people person," only adds to her popularity in my fictional shed.

Zenyatta's got it all!  Stamina,looks,personality,and most importantly, HEART!

Big Brown's Buddy 10 Jun 2010 10:38 AM

I like Rachel as a racehorse and filly in her 3 y/o...fantastic horse. But in terms of quality, Zenyatta hooves down. Very sound of bone, great stamina and standing power and very alert (not that RA wasn't).

MTBFan(still) 10 Jun 2010 10:43 AM

Close call between Rags and Goldy, both come from great producers.  I'll give the nod to Goldy, just because of her soundness and longevity.

Golden Girl 10 Jun 2010 10:53 AM

zenyatta has the scope soundness and the size we need in the present day race horse   hopefully she can pass it on to her offspring  maybe the next la troillene

bad trip 10 Jun 2010 11:28 AM

Zenyatta in a landslide.

Brett Hawkins 10 Jun 2010 12:11 PM

Rags to Riches on pedigree coupled with an outstanding race record.  Although I love the great Zenyatta, she is just too big.  If she throws that kind of size, many of her talented offspring won't make it to the races due to trainers pushing them too fast too soon.  Rare is a patient handler like Sherriffs.

JAJ 10 Jun 2010 12:20 PM

It's a toss between Rachel and Zenyatta.  In a perfect world I'd love to see Zen go to Medaglia d'Oro and Rachel to Street Cry.  Those foals would be a true rivalry to see.

Heather 10 Jun 2010 12:30 PM

Curlinlover is smitten. Rags to Riches did the heavy lifting in the Belmont and it did affect her future racing. As much as I love watching the other girls I would be in heaven with Rags in the barn.

I would breed her to See The Stars and call the foal Rags to Stars.

She should get a year off after the next foal. She has been worked to death since she was born and needs a break.

Cris 10 Jun 2010 12:59 PM

Looks like Zenyatta has a commanding lead here. Who would you breed her to? Curlinlover - you can't pick Curlin.

ITapp 10 Jun 2010 2:09 PM

Rags to Riches was overrated. She was a plodder who ran against a sub par crop of three year olds. Plain and simple.

Puurvish 10 Jun 2010 2:12 PM

My choice would be Goldikova with Rags to Riches a very close second. Goldikova is by a Danzig stallion, and I liked Danzig very much. I'd want Northern Dancer blood in my broodmare band and why not start with Goldikova? She has certainly proved  her hardiness and seems determine to win Rachel and Zen are by promisng stallions but their offspring have not entered the breeding sheds yet. I'd breed Goldikova to Sea of Stars.  I like Rags too. Cannot beat her breeding- AP Indy, Slew, and having Secretariat as one of her dams sires.

Jewel 10 Jun 2010 2:21 PM

Definitely breed Zenyatta to Birdstone so at least her foal will come out normal sized

Anthony Say 10 Jun 2010 3:25 PM

I do not know all the bloodlines, but how about Zen and Smarty Jones?  He would bring the size down a bit maybe, but heart and stamina could be huge there.

wendyg 10 Jun 2010 4:05 PM

Seriously guys, Zenyatta would never go to a 10K stallion. Surely she will be bred to Dynaformer, Medaglia Doro and A P Indy the first 3 years.

Larry LA 10 Jun 2010 4:26 PM

Larry,

How big will that Dynaformer-Zenyatta be? Maybe 20 hands?

Ian Tapp 10 Jun 2010 4:31 PM

LOL birdstone i don't think he would be able to reach zenyatta's butt unless he was standing on a embankment

anna 10 Jun 2010 4:40 PM

It would never happen. Dynaformer doesn't cover maiden mares.

Gab 10 Jun 2010 4:41 PM

Zenyatta is big and fast, don't fix if it aint broke. Why not Dynaformer? Gab I think they'd make one exception for the queen or racing.

Larry LA 10 Jun 2010 4:52 PM

Zenyatta all the way, for her staying power, size, and personality (the latter may be more necessary in racers than some may think).

Don't discount Birdstone, either. Remember Northern Dancer had to use a platform to breed mares, and look what he accomplished!

I recall someone saying they were looking for a smaller satllion for balance.

Barbara W 10 Jun 2010 5:36 PM

First:   Rags To Riches, love that bloodline, next it would have to be Dear Rachel...exceptional horse here..just dont push so hard.  Of course the majestic Zenyatta she has true royality in her bloodline how could one not go with her first....

Rapture Ready 10 Jun 2010 5:41 PM

Ok, im greedy, I want them all, but, Goldikova whould be my first choice. I loved Danzig and most of his sons have been successful at stud. I am excited to see how Hard Spun's babies do. Zenyatta would be next and I would breed her to the aforementioned HARD SPUN, given her size. He is smaller then her and more close coupled while Zen is quite "rangy". While Rag's has a spectacular female family, and I take nothing away from her, I dont really care much for AP Indy. That being said, I love Giants Causeway and can't wait to see Riche's Causeway on the track. I think they should give her Henrythenavigator colt a pirate name since she stole the Belmont from Curlin. I have nothing against Rachel, in fact her great grandsire is one of my favorites from way back, Sadlers Wells, who along with DAnzig are the best son's of Northern Dancer. Madaglia D'Oro has produced some very fine offspring to date, but as someone else pointed out, we dont know what his daughters will produce yet, still I would be an idiot to kick her out of my barn. Yea, I'll take them all, and please throw in Rainbow View, Peeping Fawn & Zarkava (I can't wait to see her Dalakhani foal, although I prefer his half brother Daylami)

Criminal Type 10 Jun 2010 6:29 PM

Rags to Riches for sure.  AP Indy, Secretariat in the bloodlines.  Say no more!!

Kris O 10 Jun 2010 6:37 PM

Rags to Riches and Zenyatta - both have strong female families. I would keep Rags with dirt/synthetic sires but Zenyatta could be bred to anyone.

Of course I'd keep all their progeny to race myself, ;)

Justine 10 Jun 2010 7:32 PM

How can you pick just one of these ladies? They are all the best the sport has to offer. But, let me say this about Rags. That Belmont with Curlin was one of the best all-time runs ever. I did not believe she stood a chance - first she stumbles and goes to her knees coming out of the gate; then she runs so wide she dissappeared from the TV screen and then decides to go after Curlin, the eventual 2-time horse of the year and probably horse of the decade. He wasn't tired. He was in top form.  So, if you put a gun to my head, it's going to be the gorgeous and incredibly talented, Rags to Riches. Plus, grandma would be Better Than Honour. Yep, it's Rags!!!

Ida Lee 10 Jun 2010 8:07 PM

Zenyatta all the way... She has competed for years w/o ANY physical issues. She is sane, solid, and doesn't know how to lose. Goldikova is a definite second choice because she has competed many years and is solid, but also because she is a miler so her foals will have some speed to them. Rachel would be third because she is(or was) electrifying in her races and has a really great sire in Medaglia d' Oro. Rags is last even though I think she would have beat any horse in the world on Belmont day. She just never recovered from that run and was injured at only three, that tells me that she isn't as physically solid as Zen, Kova, or Rachel

perilous 10 Jun 2010 9:17 PM

Goldikova all the way.  Very strong Female family and she has wonderful lines with success at all distances.  If she's like stallions, as a miler, her produce will be able to be successful short or long, depending on the sire.  That's a huge benefit.

Besides, since I'm in the US, bringing back the international blood will benefit the breed as a whole.  Besides, how could one go wrong with Riverman and Wild Risk mixed?  I love her pedigree, which is sterling from top to bottom.

vineyridge 10 Jun 2010 9:21 PM

In my broodmare band, Rags To Riches would definitely have a place. She's by a good broodmare sire in A P Indy and hails from a tail female line which follows in a similar vein to that of Hasili...stakes winner after stakes winner; and I'm quite confident that she'd take the lineage a step further. She simply shouldn't fail, so I'd take my chances there. ...and since she's not a significantly line-bred individual, it allows for the opportunity to judiciously line-breed to her genetic strengths.

Orpenhill 10 Jun 2010 10:11 PM

I would put Ragsy first, and Queen Z a close second.  Breed the best to the best and hope for the best.

Robin from Maryland 10 Jun 2010 10:15 PM

I don't know alot about bloodlines, but Zenny would be my choice. She has stamina which is missing in racing today, not to mention she is GORGEOUS. I think she would match up well with Giants Causeway or my favorite calbred that could Tiznow.

LStein 10 Jun 2010 10:16 PM

I love love love Rachel, but the female family that Rags to Riches, along with the half-siblings that she has, would make her my choice for my mythical broodmare band.

Americans don't know enough about Goldikova/she is not on the common racing fan's radar enough to make an accurate judgment here.  Would love to see some more articles about her the way we see them about RA and Zenyatta!

Michelle 10 Jun 2010 10:22 PM

Rags has, hands down, the best female family of the bunch.  "Best in the studbook" has been bandied about many times (not sure I completely agree, but *shrug).

I'd still take Rachel over Rags... and I'd breed her to Indian Charlie at least twice. B^)

You guys obviously haven't been paying much attention -- it was announced LONG ago that Zen's first date was with Sea The Stars.

Rachel has already been confirmed as going to Curlin first.  I suspect Eskendereya will be on her dance card in the near future as well since Jackson is going to try and make him as a sire.  He might even flip them and send her to Esken first and Curlin second/third (since Curlin drew a really nice book this year but, like with all stallions, is going to need help the second/third year).

As far as breeding Zen... Sea The Stars is good, but I'd rather see her sent to Orpen.

Sam 10 Jun 2010 10:34 PM

Rags - Curlin had only one horse look him in the eye and out gun him - the filly!

A.P.Indy already has quite a great reputation as a broodmare sire. Must be the Princequillo on both sides, and the little Buckpasser thrown in for good measure, that he passes on to his fillies.

goodwin 10 Jun 2010 11:25 PM

Rags To Riches because of her pedigree. Zenyatta is the better mare, one of the greatest but for a broodmare sire it's hands down Rags...........

The Deacon 11 Jun 2010 1:09 AM

Rags To Riches--because of her great female family line.

Aluminaut 11 Jun 2010 2:37 AM

Zenyatta in a close call over Rags, Goldikova 3rd, Rachel 4th.  Zenyatta has soundless, longevity, and stamina, 3 things I think the breed desperately needs more of these days.  Also wonderful temperament.  Rags has that great female family.  I put Rachel last of them purely on racing record - she has never demonstrated stamina, a requirement in my book at least, and she has demonstrated a few times that it certainly might be an issue were her races longer.

Zenyatta HOY2010 11 Jun 2010 5:21 AM

ANY ONE OF THOSE FORE WOULD WORK...ty...

Bellwether 11 Jun 2010 6:01 AM

Zenyatta HOY2010,

I agree with you about Zenyatta, but you think Rachel has never demonstrated stamina? What about her five Grade 1 wins at 9 furlongs+ ? That's not exactly sprinting. Not many U.S. races are longer than that...

Ian

Ian Tapp 11 Jun 2010 8:29 AM

Zenyatta...intelligence, speed, agility....and an absolute treasure to just look at all of the time.  She's sublime.

Slew 11 Jun 2010 8:31 AM

OK, ITapp!

I know! I know! According to True Nicks, Zen and CURLIN are no match - a "C", I believe!

So, how about AP Indy? Or Pulpit?

What do you think?

Dynaformer - way to large, which would be a problem for the progeny!

Maybe Afleet Alex?

I'd like to hear your opinion after hearing mine! :-)

You're funny!

CURLINLOVER 11 Jun 2010 9:30 AM

ITapp,

I realize it's not the "modern" definition, but for me, stamina is at a minimum 1 1/4 miles, and I'd prefer longer.  I don't call 1 1/8 stamina, even if they are trimming down distances more all the time for typical races.

About picking broodmares in general, interesting comment by John Nerud I ran into the other day.  He said, "I can forgive a few things in the stud.  I cannot forgive anything in the mare."

Zenyatta HOY2010 11 Jun 2010 10:44 AM

Zenyatta HOY2010,

I think it's important to have plenty of stamina sources in the broodmare if you're trying to breed a classic horse, but I think the difference between 9f and 12f preference is not that quantifiable. Modern classic winners don't require dams who won at 12f to be competitive. Classy sprint mares, when bred to the right stallion, can get a classic horse.

With Zenyatta as a broodmare, stamina would be no concern, but speed would be. You could easily imagine her producing something that would run all day, but might not be quick enough to win classics at 10 or 12f. That's why using the right stallion is so important -- a stallion that infuses the necessary speed but doesn't negate her perceived staying ability.

Ian

Ian Tapp 11 Jun 2010 11:52 AM

Curlinlover,

Just kidding, I just knew you'd be siding with Curlin no matter what so I wanted to see you get creative!

Nothing against either horse, but I'd expect a Curlin-Zenyatta offspring to be slow. Sure, it would have loads of stamina, but that could all go to waste when the important races are 8, 9, and 10 furlongs. Then again, we don't know what either Curlin or Zenyatta are capable of producing yet; Curlin could very well get speedier runners than expected.

Personally, one stallion I'd consider for Zenyatta would be Indian Charlie, who has been excellent with Mr. Prospector line mares (TrueNicks A+, and the cross has produced G1 winners Indian Blessing, Fleet Indian, and Pampered Princess). Indian Charlie would infuse some speed, and he's capable of getting a distance horse with the right mare.

Ian

Ian Tapp 11 Jun 2010 12:19 PM

Personally, you couldn't go wrong with any of the above horses!  I would not be dumb enough to say that I wouldn't want one of these horses for a broodmare band, but I do have a preference for Goldikova.

Zenyatta is such a large horse, and it would be tough to find the right fit for her conformation.  You couldn't go wrong with Rachel in any way.  I would be reluctant to choose Rags in this group due to her injury, though her heart on the racetrack puts her in this conversation.

Goldikova's longevity, conformation, pedigree, and dominance is why I would choose her over the three others, but I wouldn't turn any of them down if they fell in my lap!

TJLuvsTizs 11 Jun 2010 2:10 PM

ITapp!

I'm really beginning to respect you for your insight and sense of humor as well!

I'll be looking for your input in future blogs as you seem a lot less sentimantal and a lot more informed than I!

But don't forget! I'm CURLINLOVER forever! A sentimental fool who had the chance of meeting and loving on CURLIN a few times. Who wouldn't be in love with him after meeting him in person?  But I'll try to be objective and listen to those with more experience in horse racing and breeding than I - although I DO go into True Nicks to check! :-)

So, ITapp! Which mare do you recommend for "my" CURLIN?

This is fun! Thanks, ITapp!

Go CURLIN! :-)

CURLINLOVER 11 Jun 2010 2:45 PM

Zenyatta then Rags then Rachel and Not because she isnt an amazing Horse as well then 'Kova - lets face it these are the best Mares in racing ever.  These mares have the edge the desire an ability but because of the Roborto inbreeding 4f and 4m I like Zenyatta and Giants Causeway of all the A++ nicks this seems like a swell fit for our Queen. although the Indian Charlie angle seems like a good one too. Longevity and soundness seem greatly over looked today with the press for "young guns"  you see so many burnouts - our beloved Rachel included she seems to have lost that desire to win every time and I dont blame her. Imagine what she could be now if she hadnt switched trainers/owners after the oaks. on the other hand  Zenyatta was given the perfect career and training to showcase what an amazing animal the mature Thoroughbred can be. I still Love Zenyattas Bloodlines not that you all care but I have an old Daughter of Kris S out of a Soverign Dancer Mare here at the ranch in retirement she lost her last foal and we probably wont  rebreed her she raced for 4 years campaining up and down the east coast from FL to Woodbine winning 11 of 23 and prodcing several winners and a stakes winner too.  Her legs look so good at 20 its unbelievable. Thats what I want in a broodmare. shes an A+ nick to Indian CHarlie too wish I had 70K.... LOL

Zen's Auntie 11 Jun 2010 4:25 PM

I would pick Rags to Riches and breed her to Curlin.  I love Zenyatta but she likes to race too well and I wonder what kind of a brood mare she would be. I think of Cigar.

Matt 11 Jun 2010 6:11 PM

Matt, I think Zen will be an excellent mother. However, I understand your concern. Zenyatta is a high energy mare and will probably end up running the broodmare band wherever she ends up in retirement. There are many instances of high quality race mares rejecting their maternal instincts. I believe the most well know would be Toussaud. They had to take her foals from her, but look at the quality she turned out. Not quite sure what the reason for this was, but I am assuming she was trying to hurt them. I hope they dont breed Rags to Curlin, what an insult to her after kicking his Azz.

Criminal Type 14 Jun 2010 12:04 PM

Curlinlover,

Thanks! It's great having you on the blog, and I do admire your loyalty to Curlin.

If I could send any mare to Curlin, it would be BC Filly & Mare Turf winner Midday. Smart Strike has been exceptional with Danzig line mares; Curlin is a (Mr. P/Turn-to) over (Northern Dancer/Sir Gaylord) cross; Midday is the reverse of this with an extra Northern Dancer/Sir Gaylord via Dancing Brave. Plus, they're both exceptional 10-furlong horses. Check out the TrueNicks report.

Ian

Ian Tapp 14 Jun 2010 11:18 PM

Zenyatta,without a doubt!

Mike Relva 15 Jun 2010 4:34 PM

ITapp! That sounds like a good cross as far as I can judge! I'm glad you appreciate me on this blog as I'm pretty new at this game; but I'm dedicated and loyal -but also try to be objective.

Now, the  bad news! I'm a teacher about to go on vacation in an hour or so and with no home computer yet! :-(

However, I am planning on getting one for the sake of keeping up with horse racing over the summer and also email.  Also, I can keep on blogging on good, decent blogs like this one.  I have truly enjoyed your educated input and suggestions.  If not before, I'll be back in the fall.

Meanwhile, I just made an appointment with Lane's End to love on "my" CURLIN" July 15! Eat your heart out! Yes, I'm a forever CURLINLOVER.  But I also love other horses and try to be fair and educated.

Thanks for your wise input, ITapp! I truly appreciate it together with the well-written articles by Bloodhorse people.  And I DO subscribe to Bloodhorse magazine to keep up.

Have a good summer!

Go CURLIN!!!!!!!!!! :-)

CURLINLOVER 16 Jun 2010 11:45 AM

Rag's Navi colt should be named "Surrenderthebooty", the little pirate. haha

Criminal Type 19 Jun 2010 2:46 PM

For Breeding:

1)Rags To Riches

Family current form. She is by a sire that is proving now to be a good BM sire. The Giant's Causeway mating was marvelous. I wish they would keep mating her with him a couple times. Not crazy about Henrythenavigator with her.

2)Goldikova. Family is very strong too and her natural speed could make her easier to match with many stallions. Miesque was a great miler and broodmare too.

3) Rachel Alexandra. Family isn't as strong but Medaglia D'Oro is turning into a "filly" sire which is usually an indicator of a good broodmare sire.

4) Zenyatta. As much as I love her, she will be the hardest to mate because of her size. Street Cry is a good sire but his progeny isn't just "filly" inclined. IMO, sometimes "freak" mares just are duds at stud and with her size, I feel finding a proper physical match will be very hard to do.

I am not going to rank these gals by racing ability. I have seen how that goes on the internet. LOL.

This ranking is purely on what I think about breeding shed potential.

'Andrea Bouwkamp 18 Aug 2010 8:37 AM

Rags for broodmare hands down simply because of her family.

But, also for stamina. None of the above great mares has run a mile and half aginst G1 company. Her halfbrother's Jazil won the Belmont the year befor and of couse Man Of Iron won the Marathon last year. As for a mate, I too thought Giants Causeway was an excelent choice and I can't wait to see thier filly race. Zenyatta is going to be a hard one to mate for the above stated reasons. Sending her to a smaller horse will not guarantee a horse of optimal size. I think I'll leave that decision to her connections,

Beeswing 03 Dec 2010 10:48 PM

If I had to choose which mare should be in my broodmare band, there is no shadow of a doubt, that every one of these mares, Goldikova, Rachel Alexandra, Rags to Riches and Zenyatta, would be picked to be in my broodmare band. All four of them are winners, all four of them are hall of fame bound, and all four of them had won their share of races. Rachel Alexandra became the first filly to win the Preakness stakes since 1924, Rags to Riches became the first filly to win the Belmont Stakes since 1905, Goldikova became the first horse ever in Breeders Cup history to win three Breeders Cup races, by winning the Breeders Cup Mile in 2008, 2009, and 2010, and Zenyatta won 19 races in a row, and became the first filly or mare to win the Breeders Cup Classic in Breeders Cup history. So, my pick would be all four mares.

robin from michigan 26 Dec 2010 4:21 PM